'Morning-After' Pill Approved by the FDA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:55:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  'Morning-After' Pill Approved by the FDA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 'Morning-After' Pill Approved by the FDA  (Read 2143 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2006, 05:17:53 PM »

‘Morning After’ Pill Is Cleared for Wider Sales

By GARDINER HARRIS
Published: August 24, 2006

WASHINGTON, Aug. 24 — The Food and Drug Administration today approved over-the-counter sales of the “morning-after” contraceptive pill to women 18 and older, resolving one of the most contentious issues in the agency’s 100-year history.

The drug, an emergency contraceptive called Plan B that is manufactured by Barr Laboratories, will be sold only in pharmacies and health clinics. To buy it, women will have to show proof of age. Girls under the age of 18 will still need a prescription to get the drug.

Acting F.D.A. Commissioner Andrew C. von Eschenbach said in a memorandum released this morning that he had decided that 18 was the appropriate cut-off age for sales because pharmacies already restrict nicotine and cold medicines that way.

“This approach builds on well-established state and private-sector infrastructures to restrict certain products to consumers 18 and older,” Dr. Andrew C. von Eschenbach wrote.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 05:21:55 PM »

I am pleased with the FDA's decision to make the morning-after bill available over-the-counter to adult women, but am disappointed that girls 17 and under still need a prescription. At least this is a step in the right direction.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 11:35:14 PM »

That's good news.  Hopefully less abortions will result from this. The logic works -- easier access to contraceptives, better chance of said contraceptives being used.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 11:49:21 PM »

That's good news.  Hopefully less abortions will result from this. The logic works -- easier access to contraceptives, better chance of said contraceptives being used.

what's the difference?  kill the baby 4 months in, or 1 day in?   it's still murder.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 11:51:37 PM »

what's the difference?  kill the baby 4 months in, or 1 day in?   it's still murder.

That one or two cell ball does bring tears to my eyes when it passes away.  Too bad I can't see it without a high powered microscope.  Certainly it is much better to chop off the head of a cow that actually communicates, has a body shape, and is generally competent than that ball of cells with no shape, no competence, less human than an insect.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 11:55:56 PM »

That one or two cell ball does bring tears to my eyes when it passes away.  Too bad I can't see it without a high powered microscope.  Certainly it is much better to chop off the head of a cow that actually communicates, has a body shape, and is generally competent than that ball of cells with no shape, no competence, less human than an insect.

Are you talking about the PETA post?  And what does seeing he/she have anything to do w/ it?  If a blind man shoots somebody--it's still murder!
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 12:03:48 AM »

Are you talking about the PETA post?  And what does seeing he/she have anything to do w/ it?  If a blind man shoots somebody--it's still murder!

I was simply making comparisons.  The blind man analogy is wholly irrelevant.  Humans can't see what be terminated by the morning after pill, not just people with disabilities.  The fact we can't see this thing we're "killing" makes me wonder just how important it is.  More to do with size than sight.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 01:29:07 AM »

I take a different approach then JCar with supporting the FDA approval -- but -- maybe, somewhere in your head, you can see that less abortions in any form is better?

It  is unlikely Roe/Wade will ever be touched in the near future, so this is as good as it's going to get for now.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 07:10:33 AM »

I was simply making comparisons.  The blind man analogy is wholly irrelevant.  Humans can't see what be terminated by the morning after pill, not just people with disabilities.  The fact we can't see this thing we're "killing" makes me wonder just how important it is.  More to do with size than sight.

The size shouldn't matter - a microscopic sentient being would be of no less import to you, would it? The fact that it doesn't have a brain or nervous system at that point, and thusly cannot think or feel, is more worthy of consideration for your argument.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 08:59:54 PM »

The size shouldn't matter - a microscopic sentient being would be of no less import to you, would it? The fact that it doesn't have a brain or nervous system at that point, and thusly cannot think or feel, is more worthy of consideration for your argument.

I agree. Which is why in this thread, and others about abortion, I have posted that.  Inks asked a question about one of my reasons for supporting stem cell research, so I responded specifically to that.  Certainly size is less importance than competence.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 09:58:06 PM »

Finally. This will save the Earth from many abortions, and save women (and girls) from months of stress, and years of life destruction. All in all, a good choice. Lets just hope that cashiers dont refuse to ring it up... Tongue

Although I guess more and more places are getting those auto-cashiers, thatll help.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 10:54:15 PM »

Finally. This will save the Earth from many abortions, and save women (and girls) from months of stress, and years of life destruction. All in all, a good choice. Lets just hope that cashiers dont refuse to ring it up... Tongue

Although I guess more and more places are getting those auto-cashiers, thatll help.

Oh yes--As long as the women don't feel like they've committed murder--that's all that's important.  Not that we've killed the person who could cure cancer or something.  That's what amazes me about you liberals--you say "embryonic stem cell research can cure my grandma with alzheimers, and you republicans just hate old people" while you go and kill 43 million babies--somewhere in there there had to have been a great scientist.

And what about cashiers?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 11:43:51 PM »

Oh yes--As long as the women don't feel like they've committed murder--that's all that's important.  Not that we've killed the person who could cure cancer or something.  That's what amazes me about you liberals--you say "embryonic stem cell research can cure my grandma with alzheimers, and you republicans just hate old people" while you go and kill 43 million babies--somewhere in there there had to have been a great scientist.

And what about cashiers?

Im going to basically ignore everthing you said up till "And what about cashiers?"

It was a half-joke at the pharmicists who were refusing to do the job they are payed to do based on personal morals. (like not filling prescriptions for Plan B) that day is over, and I was joking about cashiers doing it now.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 08:34:40 AM »

Plan B is not an abortion pill, you fool. It there has already been conception, it doesn't work.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 10:06:30 AM »

Plan B is not an abortion pill, you fool. It there has already been conception, it doesn't work.

Thanks, I was about to say that myself. People do not know they are pregnant the day after. This is an extra-prevention method.

What I continue to be amazed with conservatives on this matter is, for all their screaming about people's rights to own lethal weaponry, they feel the moral right to tell women what they can do to their body.

I personally know that my stance in hypocritical, I find the death penalty barbaric, but I will defend to the end a woman's right to reproductive rights... I know sick sad little liberal. Whatever... toss toss toss.

Abortions are NOT nice things- and they should be discouraged- HOWEVER... see above.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 12:04:58 PM »

Less Abortions = Good
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 10:28:23 PM »

I am afraid that it may give a young girl (and guys too)a green light for risky behavior, but yet I sympathize with a 16 year old who does not want to tell her parents in order to get it.  I have no idea where to stand on that one.

She would have sex anyway.  I seriously doubt that this would really sway your decision on sex.  It is a big decision that would be taken anyway if a girl wanted to.  This simply prevents the serious consequences that would develop for the girl, the boy, their parents, and the baby if it carried. 
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 10:49:00 PM »

Any abortion is a shame, but life is so fragile at that early stage that using the morning after pill will leave the user with no knowlege of weather they really aborted someting that would become a human being or not. 

Good lord man, for the 10th time, Plan B is not an abortion pill. If conception has already happened, Plan B is powerless in ending it.

I am so sick of the ignorance on this subject. Plan B is not much different from the regular birth control pill, except that it's taken after intercourse.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 10:49:49 PM »

Any abortion is a shame, but life is so fragile at that early stage that using the morning after pill will leave the user with no knowlege of weather they really aborted someting that would become a human being or not.  A huge portion of pregnancies end in miscarriages or blited ovems (conception, but no viable fetus leading to miscarriage) anyway.  We are living and conscience beings who have a God given right to make decisions based on our health and life's circumstances.  Yes I feel abortion is wrong, but support somone else to make a decision that is right for them.  Plan B is a means of abotion that is much less invasive than a traditional extraction after X number of weeks (or months) go by.  I am pleased with this new option available to women.  I am mixed on weather someone under 18 should be able to get it.  I am afraid that it may give a young girl (and guys too)a green light for risky behavior, but yet I sympathize with a 16 year old who does not want to tell her parents in order to get it.  I have no idea where to stand on that one.

So, as long as they don't know if they killed someone, that's fine.  And no, girls shouldn't be going around w/ morning after pills.  We have enough teens getting pregnant as is.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 10:53:58 PM »

So, as long as they don't know if they killed someone, that's fine.

PLAN. B. IS. NOT. AN. ABORTION. PILL.

P-L-A-N B I-S N-O-T A-N A-B-O-R-T-I-O-N P-I-L-L.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2006, 10:54:59 PM »

[And no, girls shouldn't be going around w/ morning after pills.  We have enough teens getting pregnant as is.

Plan B reduces pregnancies, you fool.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2006, 11:08:17 PM »

[And no, girls shouldn't be going around w/ morning after pills.  We have enough teens getting pregnant as is.

Plan B reduces pregnancies, you fool.

What is Plan B?Huh?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2006, 11:10:31 PM »

The morning after pill.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2006, 11:20:13 PM »

Inks, I think you're confusing the morning after pill with an RU-486 pill.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 05:17:14 PM »

This is good news.  It will help reduce teenage pregancies and abortions at the same time, so this should be getting good returns from the left and the right.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies