A New Idea for Illegals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:41:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  A New Idea for Illegals
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Illegals join military to gain citizenship?
Good idea
Bad idea
Who cares
Deport them all
Too hard of a requirment
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: A New Idea for Illegals  (Read 3379 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2006, 01:32:04 PM »

I know b/c this is my thread everyone will say its crazy, but just consider this:

To my knowledge, illegal immigrants cannot join the army.  What if we allowed illegal immigrants to join the army in order to gain citizenship.

For example:
If an illegal immigrant serves in the army for 5 years give or take, they can apply for US citizenship.  It will offer illegals a pass to citizenship and increase the size of the army.  Anybody else think this could be a good idea?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 01:33:57 PM »

People already can earn citizenship through the military.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 01:52:10 PM »

People already can earn citizenship through the military.

I research it though, that's only for legal immigrants.  Illegals still can't join b/c you certain things like a green card and other legal documents to join.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »

I wouldn't mind it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 07:51:23 PM »

I know b/c this is my thread everyone will say its crazy, but just consider this:

To my knowledge, illegal immigrants cannot join the army.  What if we allowed illegal immigrants to join the army in order to gain citizenship.

For example:
If an illegal immigrant serves in the army for 5 years give or take, they can apply for US citizenship.  It will offer illegals a pass to citizenship and increase the size of the army.  Anybody else think this could be a good idea?

1 problem: motive--1,000 Arabs join the Army.  They're really Al Quada supporters--they blow up our barracks.  Mexicans mad at us for not allowing them to immigrate--blow up our ship.  Seems kinda risky.  I won't vote until you respond--you may have a way to avoid this.  Your smart--think about it.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 08:03:44 PM »

For example:

1 problem: motive--1,000 Arabs join the Army.  They're really Al Quada supporters--they blow up our barracks.  Mexicans mad at us for not allowing them to immigrate--blow up our ship.  Seems kinda risky.  I won't vote until you respond--you may have a way to avoid this.  Your smart--think about it.

They have screening processes for a reason.  If someone doesn't check out, just don't let them in.

Also, Mexicans just want to get into the country and have no motive to attack. Otherwise we'd be having massive terro attacks on Arizona and Texas.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 08:11:15 PM »

For example:

They have screening processes for a reason.  If someone doesn't check out, just don't let them in.

Also, Mexicans just want to get into the country and have no motive to attack. Otherwise we'd be having massive terro attacks on Arizona and Texas.

It was an example--I'm not saying Mexicans are out to destroy us.  I just think it opens up a whole new door of problems.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 11:21:42 PM »

To be honest, I wouldn't have an issue with that, in fact, I don't think it's a bad idea at all... I do think there should be other options, in couple with that, though too.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 09:27:52 AM »

Option 1 -as I stated before in other threads, I would be far more persuaded of their patriotism and think them more deserving of citizenship if they joined the military.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 09:49:47 AM »

Bad idea. Why let illegals come in at all?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 10:05:33 AM »

Bad idea. Why let illegals come in at all?

I'm not really saying let them in, it more applies to the ones already here if not exclusively them.  It seems almost impossible to do the best thing which would be mass deportation.  The next best seems to put them to work defending our country.

For Inks, just b/c their illegal doesn't mean you can't for a background check.  Make them provide an official birth certificate w/their fingerprint from their country of origin.  And then run their prints through the system and the usual, just search Mexican records.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »

Not a terrible idea--why not give them citizenship otherwise?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 01:15:11 PM »

Because there illegal immigrants, they broke our laws getting in here, and they must do something to prove they truly love our country.  What better way than joining the military?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 03:37:58 PM »

Because there illegal immigrants, they broke our laws getting in here, and they must do something to prove they truly love our country.  What better way than joining the military?

I don't know if they love their country but they are defnitely thankful for being in this country. Why the hell else, unless you are a criminal which a vast majority aren't, would you run the risk of dieing of thirst in the desert, getting caught and deported by border patrol, leave the village/town/city that you have lived in your entire life, leaving your family, friends and relatives, trusting your life and thousands of dollars to people who will sneak you across the border other than because you want to get into America so bad that you will do anything for it. If that doesn't prove that you consider America a good place and are thankful and happy for your life in America I don't know what is.

Would you risk your life and leave everything you have ever known to go to a country that you hate and despise?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 03:48:24 PM »

What happens if we go to war with the country where many of our new troops came from?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 04:31:29 PM »

What happens if we go to war with the country where many of our new troops came from?

The new troops would be executed o/c.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 04:57:42 PM »

Tongue  Of course!  Or maybe internment camps.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »

To answer this, if legal immigrants from the same country join the army, couldn't we theoretically have the same problem?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 04:52:44 PM »

To answer this, if legal immigrants from the same country join the army, couldn't we theoretically have the same problem?

You tell us.  This was your idea.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 05:26:53 PM »

You tell us.  This was your idea.

The answer to the question is obvious, and the answer is yes.  Whether the person is a legal immigrant from Mexico or an illegal one, they still are Mexican nationals.  If this is the obstacle, then we better change the rules to make no immigrants allowed in the army.

Anyone else have any other gripes about this?  Be happy to answer
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 08:53:35 AM »

I'd be willing to support that. If someone is willing to join the military and can cut the mustard there without being discharged, they have demonstrated sufficient loyalty to our country and what it stands for to be able to gain citizenship. It would have the additional benefit of gaining more recruits for the military which is often lacking in sufficient manpower.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2006, 08:55:47 AM »

I'd be willing to support that. If someone is willing to join the military and can cut the mustard there without being discharged, they have demonstrated sufficient loyalty to our country and what it stands for to be able to gain citizenship. It would have the additional benefit of gaining more recruits for the military which is often lacking in sufficient manpower.

That's really the whole point, they get helped out by gaining a "path to citizenship" and we are helped we extra military manpower.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies