Child Labor Restriction Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:00:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Child Labor Restriction Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Child Labor Restriction Bill  (Read 10862 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2006, 12:09:46 AM »

It was answered above. The term expired before the bill was even presented to the president for his signature, meaning it goes into the expired legislation thread.

So technically there was no veto then either?

Not one with any legality.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2006, 12:51:45 PM »

Senator Jake and the SoFA have both put forward the case that this is expired legislation and, therefore, should be reintroduced

I, however, granted the override on the grounds that Senator MasterJedi gave due notice to seek a veto override within 72 hours of the President vetoing this Bill; however, it is the opinion of Senator Jake and the SoFA that this was not permitted by the OSPR

Therefore, unless, Senator MasterJedi gives legitimate reason as to why I should allow this override to stand within the next 24 hours, I shall draw a line under this once and for all

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2006, 02:06:44 PM »

I really don't have a reason. As I said before and I'll say now, if I was PPT I would have gone ahead with the override.

Now whether this Senate does and there is a court case is not my decision, I just said what I would have done if I was still in the position.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2006, 03:18:20 PM »

Well Senator, that's not a very strong arguement. If that's the case, then Senator Hawk, this legislation should be stricken and reintroduced as Senator Jake has said.

If possible, we should really avoid a court case. If Senator Hawk does decide to strike it, and have it reintroduced, I would like to add, that my vote will not change. I will vote Aye on this legislation if it takes six days or six months to get it back on the floor.

That said, I would like to formally ask Senator Hawk to close this up, and let's just start again on it.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2006, 07:10:34 AM »

First of all, I'd like to thank the Senator for his response

While, they is no doubt in my mind, under normal circumstances, my granting Senator MasterJedi's request for a veto override was legitimate under Article 5, Section 3, Clause 1 of the OSPR, these are not normal circumstances

It has become transparent that this Bill ought not to have been presented to the President and that he ought not to have responded

To all intents and purposes, the Child Labor Restriction Bill is expired legislation and will be treated as such. This veto override has been withdrawn and the Bill will be reintroduced

'Hawk'
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2006, 08:48:18 AM »

It has become transparent that this Bill ought not to have been presented to the President and that he ought not to have responded

Why is the buck being passed to me here?  I only responded to what I was given.  In hindsight, sure, I could have brought up concerns with the bill being passed after the Senate session ended.  Though it could be argued that, according to precedent, the voting period ends at the designated time regardless of whether the PPT posts so or not, because MasterJedi did not count a vote change by Jesus on the whaling bill because it was posted after the 24 hour period ended, but before Jedi had posted as such.  (Not that this is a precedent I am particularly comfortable with.)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2006, 09:07:37 AM »

Why is the buck being passed to me here?  I only responded to what I was given.  In hindsight, sure, I could have brought up concerns with the bill being passed after the Senate session ended.  Though it could be argued that, according to precedent, the voting period ends at the designated time regardless of whether the PPT posts so or not, because MasterJedi did not count a vote change by Jesus on the whaling bill because it was posted after the 24 hour period ended, but before Jedi had posted as such.  (Not that this is a precedent I am particularly comfortable with.)

Just making an observation. I'm not levelling any criticism. In hindsight, I wouldn't have allowed the veto override in the first instance. Still, I hope this matter is now resolved

It is my intention to propose an amendment to the OSPR soon, which if approved, would allow incomplete legislation on the floor of the Senate when it expires to be brought forward to the new Senate in its existing state. If nothing else, it would be a hell of lot more efficient than present. And there is a lot that can be said for efficiency Smiley

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2006, 01:25:22 PM »

Well, at least that got cleared up.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length