Child Labor Restriction Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:26:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Child Labor Restriction Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Child Labor Restriction Bill  (Read 10916 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« on: September 04, 2006, 07:26:49 PM »

Oh, brother.  "Passing" the bill after the Senate session has ended is one thing, but holding a veto override with a new set of Senators is even more tacky.

Showing a little hostility aren't we? I don't see what difference it makes how long we have served? I support Senator Masterjedi in calling for a veto override, and urge my collegues to vote for it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 07:45:51 PM »

Then it should be reintroduced. New Senators should take up where the old ones left off, as it is in the United States Senate. When the new Senator is sworn in, they take the old one's place. The Senators that are no longer in office should not have a vote.

In any case, when it is reintroduced, I will vote on it, as I'm sure the other non-incumbants will.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 01:39:10 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 02:47:01 PM »

Talk about ineligible... Jake, you shouldn't even be a Senator... You just got lucky that Vlad flaked out.

I don't understand what you mean by calling the three of us who are new ineligible? The U.S. Senate does NOT bring back old Senators to vote on legislation that has been vetoed, and since Senator Masterjedi called for a veto override, that means that this Senate must vote on it.

Prime example, let's say Rick Santorum loses to Casey. If Bush vetoes a bill, and it is reintroduced, Casey has the right to vote on it if he has already taken the oath, and Santorum doesn't.

So, Senator, either live with the three of us voting on the veto or resign. There's no rule in the Senate regulations of this forum that denies newly elected or appointed Senators the right to vote on any legislation brought before them... That includes a veto override.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 03:15:18 PM »

Talk about ineligible... Jake, you shouldn't even be a Senator... You just got lucky that Vlad flaked out.

Irrelevant. It's like saying the only reason you're a Senator is because a better candidate didn't run, ie, bullshit.

Ok, I refuse to play in your ballpark on that. It is also irrelevent to call the three of our votes ineligible, then. The three of us are now Senators, there's nothing you can do about it, the same as we can't get rid of you, no matter how much we want to.

Masterjedi called for the override after the three of us were sworn in, if my date and times are correct... But I can see your point on the three day debate period. Even still, I want to know what it matters, considering that the previous Senator of my district, Mr. Washburn voted for the bill anyway.

However, Senator Hawk did grant permission to override the veto. I see no point in arguing the vote at this stage, unless you just want to be a prick about it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 05:43:29 PM »

Well, if Senator Hawk sees fit, he can withdraw my vote. However, I hold that my vote is legal, and I refuse to withdraw it myself.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 03:18:20 PM »

Well Senator, that's not a very strong arguement. If that's the case, then Senator Hawk, this legislation should be stricken and reintroduced as Senator Jake has said.

If possible, we should really avoid a court case. If Senator Hawk does decide to strike it, and have it reintroduced, I would like to add, that my vote will not change. I will vote Aye on this legislation if it takes six days or six months to get it back on the floor.

That said, I would like to formally ask Senator Hawk to close this up, and let's just start again on it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies