Tornado Touched Down Near Me
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:30:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Tornado Touched Down Near Me
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tornado Touched Down Near Me  (Read 2140 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2006, 01:22:08 AM »

Yesterday shortly after noon, a tornado touched down about 1.5 from my house (less than .5 mile from where I was at the time.

We had some very nasty storms that came through the area, dumped so extremeley heavy rain that caused widespread flooding.  I had to drive in the messs as I was going into work for 12 noon.

The tornado was only a F-0 and caused just minor damage, but tornadoes in this part of the country are quite rare.  We lost power in my house a few minutes before I left for work and it was out for about 2 hours.  Phone lines were screwed up the rest of the day (very staticy) my neighbors phones were out till this afternoon, as was my Internet Connection which caused me to not be able to rank my players in my fantasy draft which I was unable to make)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 01:27:37 AM »

Eeesh. Good thing it was only a zero. But I never knew that a tornado could occur in the Northeast. Shocked
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 01:37:21 AM »

sweet.  ya--tornadoes occur anywhere--theres video of one during a blizzard.  (I'm the ultimate weathergeek--thus my AIM sn).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 01:44:03 AM »

Eeesh. Good thing it was only a zero. But I never knew that a tornado could occur in the Northeast. Shocked

its rare, but it can occur, their was an F1 last year that touched down about 15 miles from me (Glen Cove), whoich damaged 4 homes (only briefly on the ground).  One before that was several years prior I believe.  It can happen here, but its quite rare.  their was acually a tornado warning at one point in the Bronx, though no tornado touched down.  It was that same cell which spawned the tornado that touched down twice along the nassau suffolk border along the south shore.  Luckilly the few that do touch down are only for very bief periods and rather weak.  With the very large and dense population here if any of those major tornados that touch down in the midwest & south from time to time hit here the amount of destruction would be absolutley unreal
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 05:42:18 AM »

Wow Smash, you're not that many nautical miles from me.  I'm just across the Long Island Sound.  We had a dreary, rainy day yesterday, but I saw no hint of tornado activity by me.  It wasn't even windy.  Unbelievable.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 08:55:02 AM »

They've happened.  Philly's western suburbs and South Jersey can get quite a few.  You have flat ground east of the mountains where colder air comes from the north with arm, moist air from the south.  It's not as pronounced as the Midwest, but we've had some F0 and F1s.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 09:05:01 AM »

They've happened.  Philly's western suburbs and South Jersey can get quite a few.  You have flat ground east of the mountains where colder air comes from the north with arm, moist air from the south.  It's not as pronounced as the Midwest, but we've had some F0 and F1s.

1990, there was one in Fairmount Park that passed close to me; I was in my car.  I was just here for a visit at the time.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 09:59:57 AM »

Some years back a tornado touched down on the other side of the street from my house.  Trashed a few cars and did nothing else.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 10:01:12 AM »

Some years back a tornado touched down on the other side of the street from my house.  Trashed a few cars and did nothing else.

Tornadoes are pretty creepy.  They can totally destroy one building, and leave the one right next to it untouched.  And they strike without real warning, and seem to be totally random.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 10:27:34 AM »

I lived in Central IL for a year - I swear to God! the midwest should just go underground. We had a couple of scares in March/April - the worst was April 2 when one looked like it was about to drop in the field behind my apartment - but one did touch down about 1/2 a mile away.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 11:23:50 AM »

1990, there was one in Fairmount Park that passed close to me; I was in my car.  I was just here for a visit at the time.

I was gonna say it's next to impossible in the city, but then again I remember one at Welsh and the Blvd. and another when I was 5 during Hurricane Gloria.  The Hurricane Gloria one was east of my house so it looked like it could be Wissinoming/Mayfair area. 

I also remember one trying to form on the south side of the Blue Mountains near I-78 when I was 11.  That one was between Reading and Pottsville and Harrisburg and Allentown IIRC.  We had to pull off to the side of the road because the rain and hail was just that bad.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 12:02:36 PM »

I was gonna say it's next to impossible in the city, but then again I remember one at Welsh and the Blvd. and another when I was 5 during Hurricane Gloria.  The Hurricane Gloria one was east of my house so it looked like it could be Wissinoming/Mayfair area. 

I also remember one trying to form on the south side of the Blue Mountains near I-78 when I was 11.  That one was between Reading and Pottsville and Harrisburg and Allentown IIRC.  We had to pull off to the side of the road because the rain and hail was just that bad.

There was an F0 "Dustnado" that basically ran along Oregon Avenue, west of Broad Street in the late 1990's.  It uprooted a tree and damaged some cars.

The one in Fairmount Park never touched down, but the pressure dropped.  I had a gallon jug of apple cider I was bringing as a gift.  It was bottled at about 1,500 feet above sea level.  It was fine until the storm passed over, then the pressure blew the top off!  I heard later that it was a tornado.

We had a huge micro burst in North Phila when the July heatwave ended.  It was a cloud of dust moving down the street, about five stories high.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »

Hope nothing got damaged too bad,

I had the warning too but I didn't come near me

Sadly for you, Peter King was not injured
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 04:53:41 PM »

Wow Smash, you're not that many nautical miles from me.  I'm just across the Long Island Sound.  We had a dreary, rainy day yesterday, but I saw no hint of tornado activity by me.  It wasn't even windy.  Unbelievable.

I said yesterday as of late sat night.  So it was friday around noon, not Sat around noon.  We had a dreary rainyday here on sat as well, but some nasty storms on Fri
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 05:00:35 PM »

I said yesterday as of late sat night.  So it was friday around noon, not Sat around noon.  We had a dreary rainyday here on sat as well, but some nasty storms on Fri

I was supposed to golf on Friday, but the weather was so bad, I went bowling instead.  After we got done, about 2:30 PM, I had a cookout on my back deck for the people I work with.  By then, the rain had stopped.  I had no idea that it was anything more than a dreary, rainy day.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 05:32:41 PM »

I was supposed to golf on Friday, but the weather was so bad, I went bowling instead.  After we got done, about 2:30 PM, I had a cookout on my back deck for the people I work with.  By then, the rain had stopped.  I had no idea that it was anything more than a dreary, rainy day.

it was definatley more than just a dreary day here.  Some cars were basically submerged under water due to the flooding.  the same cell in which spawned the tornado here caused an earleir tornado warning in the Bronx, though nothing touched down.  LIPA had about 22,000 power outages most of the power returned within a couple hours (my house among those), a few hundred people still were without power yesterday afternoon.

The storms caused some damage in the city & Jersey also (possibly Westchester as well)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 05:36:49 PM »

We had a huge micro burst in North Phila when the July heatwave ended.  It was a cloud of dust moving down the street, about five stories high.

Any damage???  Since it was dry--it would've been a little weaker than a wet, but still, they can cause almost as much damage as tornadoes.

It seems kinda unfair that yall have these stories--and dont' want to see a tornado, but the 1 person who does has only seen a gust produced waterspout and 2 dustdevils. Sad
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 06:12:45 PM »

Any damage???  Since it was dry--it would've been a little weaker than a wet, but still, they can cause almost as much damage as tornadoes.

It seems kinda unfair that yall have these stories--and dont' want to see a tornado, but the 1 person who does has only seen a gust produced waterspout and 2 dustdevils. Sad

No damage, just garbage cans blowing around, and a lot of dust;  it was stinging people's eyes.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 10:50:53 PM »

No damage, just garbage cans blowing around, and a lot of dust;  it was stinging people's eyes.

are you sure it was a microburst then, or just a dust storm.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 02:15:03 PM »

Wow!  That's really scary!!

Rin-chan
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 12:48:56 AM »

the tornado touched down about .5 mile from the mall near me.  During the storm some of the doors of the mal flew open and slammed shut several times because of the wind, and the gusts knocked down manicans as well as signs in the mall
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 10:30:25 AM »

sweet.  ya--tornadoes occur anywhere--theres video of one during a blizzard.  (I'm the ultimate weathergeek--thus my AIM sn).

you've got nothing on mike  "floydbuster" naso, buddy
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 03:42:18 PM »

you've got nothing on mike  "floydbuster" naso, buddy

Does he have a weather station on his roof?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies