Will the real Jim Webb please answer up
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:26:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will the real Jim Webb please answer up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will the real Jim Webb please answer up  (Read 2058 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:41:23 PM »

Currently James H. "Jim" Webb, Jr. is running for Senator in Viriginia.  However, the real question is which Jim Webb?  As Secretary of the Navy under Ronald W. Reagan, Webb was probably the best Secretary of the Navy our country has had in my lifetime.

However, today Webb is being funded by the loony left.  These are the same people who funded Lamont (believing Lieberman to be insufficently politically correct),

Now, as perhaps some of you know, their is an excellent Civics Group called "Project Vote Smart" which provides the voters with clear and detailed information on candidates, when possible.

Now, for incumbents, they publish extensive information on their voting records.

For challengers (for United StatesHouse or Represenatives or Senate), they request them to complete a Congressional National Political Awareness Test.

Jim Webb has repeatedly refused to answer the questionnaire.

Webb has also ducked answering questions on many of the issues which are and/or will come before the Senate.

This appears to be a deliberate policy of evading the issues.

Some would suggest that Jim is still the good guy he once was, and is merely remaining silent to milk the lefties of campaign money (I don't believe this).

Others have suggested that Jim has gone loony left but doesn't want the voters to know about this and is hoping the voters will remember him as the great Secretary of the Navy that he was.

The bottom line is that I dislike 'stealth' candidates, who try to hide their positions on the issues (or perhaps are too stupid to have a position).  I figure that if a candidate will evade answering questions on issues important to me, he is probably on the opposite side.

The old Jim Webb was a decorated combat Marine who didn't run from a fight (he earned the Navy Cross).  Another indication that Webb has gone over to the dark (far left) side.
Deano963

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:57:09 PM »

Which issue(s) are you trying to determine his position?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 01:26:53 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2006, 02:54:03 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

1. At his WEB page he avoids answering the issue about amnesty for illegal aliens.

2. He does not even address his position (if any) on the right to keep and bear arms.

3. He does not address the issue of his position on SDI.

4. He does not address his position on racial preferences.

Lets start with those.

Other issues (addressed by NPAT) include Abortion, Spending, Taxes, School Vouchers, Social Security reform.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 02:11:02 PM »

This is just another attempt to make something out of nothing -even the Allen campaign isn't making an issue out of Webb's refusal to answer the NPAT test. 

And on a separate note, I have yet to hear from AuH2O of some sizzling scandal involving Webb.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 02:36:36 PM »

This is just another attempt to make something out of nothing -even the Allen campaign isn't making an issue out of Webb's refusal to answer the NPAT test. 

And on a separate note, I have yet to hear from AuH2O of some sizzling scandal involving Webb.

Wrong!

Is Jim Webb the good guy who was the outstanding Secretary of the Navy, or is has he lost him mind and joined up with the looney left.

Now, to give the looney left credit, they don't start subsidizing a candidate unless they figure he's one of theirs.

Also, the old Jim Webb would have had no problem answering the questions I (and Project Vote Smart) posed.

It seems to me that Webb is hoping that many of the voters of Virginia will think he favors positions which he held in the 80s, not realizing that he has converted to left-wing loonism.
Deano963

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 02:40:59 PM »

Wrong!

Is Jim Webb the good guy who was the outstanding Secretary of the Navy, or is has he lost him mind and joined up with the looney left.

Now, to give the looney left credit, they don't start subsidizing a candidate unless they figure he's one of theirs.

Also, the old Jim Webb would have had no problem answering the questions I (and Project Vote Smart) posed.

It seems to me that Webb is hoping that many of the voters of Virginia will think he favors positions which he held in the 80s, not realizing that he has converted to left-wing loonism.

How do you know he has converted to "left-wing loonism" when you admittedly do not know what his positions on these issues are?

Are you soley basing your rants that he is part of the "loony left" b/c he opposed the Iraq War from the beginning and b/c he is running as a Democrat or do you have something of substance?

And keep in mind that lack of evidence does not substance make.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 02:41:22 PM »

Show me an example where Webb has chosen a 'loony Left' position -and being against the Iraq War doesn't count. 
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 02:42:52 PM »

Show me an example where Webb has chosen a 'loony Left' position -and being against the Iraq War doesn't count. 

Hard to give an example when he dodges the questions.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 02:52:42 PM »

Uh, Maverick, I listed several areas where Webb has been evasive, and I am told bv my friends on the left that he has privately assured them of his fealthy, but won't say so in public because it would loose him the election.

Now, the issues I cited are rather basic, and included in the NPAT questionnaire.

The old Webb would have no problem answering them in about two minutes (total for the entire questionaire).

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 02:54:19 PM »

1. At his WEB page he avoids answering the issue about amnesty for illegal aliens.

I believe he supports the McCain-Kennedy bill, like the majority of the Senate does.

2. He does not even address his position (if any) on the right to keep and bear arms.

He supports, of course.

He supports affirmative action, if that's what you're trying to get at.

Other issues (addressed by NPAT) include Abort, Spending, Taxes, School Vouchers, Social Security reform.

He is pro-choice. He is against privatizing Social Security. He does not support school vouchers. He is for fiscal responsibility and balancing the budget.

Hope that helps.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 03:24:07 PM »

I believe he supports the McCain-Kennedy bill, like the majority of the Senate does.

He supports, of course.

He supports affirmative action, if that's what you're trying to get at.

Other issues (addressed by NPAT) include Abort, Spending, Taxes, School Vouchers, Social Security reform.

He is pro-choice. He is against privatizing Social Security. He does not support school vouchers. He is for fiscal responsibility and balancing the budget.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

1. Uh, what about SDI?

2. His web page shows norhing about amnesty for illegal aliens.  Do you have a source for this one?

3. On the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.  At one time he was a supporter of this right.  However, have seen nothing this year on his current position on this matter.  Could you please cite a source?

4.  Uh, 'affirmative action' is a rather nebulous area.  I specifically asked about RACIAL PREFERENCES for things like education, employment, contracts, etc.  From what I have seen, Webb has aboided answering this question.

5. Now the lefties have assured me that Webb is pro-abortion, and opposed to giving parents the choice of sending their child to a non-governmental school if they cannot afford it. 

6. Now, on spending, does he support increases on nondefense spending?

7. Does he propose to 'balance the budget' via tax increases?  The NPAT gives a lot of options there. 

nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 03:30:21 PM »

If you look around the site, a good number of politicans haven't answered the NPAT test.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 03:37:15 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2006, 03:40:47 PM by Scoonie »

1. Uh, what about SDI?

2. His web page shows norhing about amnesty for illegal aliens.  Do you have a source for this one?

3. On the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.  At one time he was a supporter of this right.  However, have seen nothing this year on his current position on this matter.  Could you please cite a source?

4.  Uh, 'affirmative action' is a rather nebulous area.  I specifically asked about RACIAL PREFERENCES for things like education, employment, contracts, etc.  From what I have seen, Webb has aboided answering this question.

5. Now the lefties have assured me that Webb is pro-abortion, and opposed to giving parents the choice of sending their child to a non-governmental school if they cannot afford it. 

7. Does he propose to 'balance the budget' via tax increases?  The NPAT gives a lot of options there. 

He is very pro-gun, I don't know what else you want to know. His position has not changed. He is pro-choice, pro-contraception, pro-reducing the number of abortions.

As for the budget, he supports raising taxes on the wealthy and reigning in spending to help balance the budget. He is pro-worker and pro-middle class.

He believes in affirmative action, can't give you any more details than that.

Don't know about SDI.

He is a Democrat who agrees with Democrats on the majority of the issues. Carl, you are a die-hard conservative and a George Allen supporter.

Smear away, Carl.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 03:38:52 PM »

If you look around the site, a good number of politicans haven't answered the NPAT test.

True.

They're evasaibe b25+2rd$!!!
Deano963

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 03:42:30 PM »

Uh, Maverick, I listed several areas where Webb has been evasive, and I am told bv my friends on the left that he has privately assured them of his fealthy, but won't say so in public because it would loose him the election.

Now, the issues I cited are rather basic, and included in the NPAT questionnaire.

The old Webb would have no problem answering them in about two minutes (total for the entire questionaire).

How do you know the "old Jim Webb" is any different from the "new Jim Webb" since he obviously never answered these questions in the past also according to you???

I think Jim Webb is a man of high principle who changes his positions for no one. The fact that you don't like his position on the Iraq War, added to the glaring absence of any facts on your part that show him to be out of the mainstream or of having ever switched positions on any issue show how truly asinine it is to group him with the "loony left".

Deano963

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 03:47:05 PM »

Why do you have to get assurances from the "lefties" that he supports abortion rights? It says so right on his website that he supports them. I have also read several interviews where he clearly states his position on abortion that he is pro-choice. He does not hide this fact.

All government schools are public schools and therefore free, so the parents not being able to afford them is not an issue. Stop trying to distort the issue of school vocuhers which go towards for-profit schools.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 03:48:52 PM »

1. Uh, what about SDI?

He is very pro-gun, I don't know what else you want to know. His position has not changed. He is pro-choice, pro-contraception, pro-reducing the number of abortions.

As for the budget, he supports raising taxes on the wealthy and reigning in spending to help balance the budget.

He believes in affirmative action, can't give you any more details than that.

Don't know about SDI.

He is a Democrat who agrees with Democrats on the majority of the issues. Carl, you are a die-hard conservative and a George Allen supporter.

Smear away, Carl.

Scoonie,

First, I have been polite, so why do you need to engage ad hominem attacks?

Second, I have given reasons why I suspect the Jim Webb of today and the Jim Webb of twenty five years ago hold signficantly different positions on the issues (the lefties think he is with them.  they're funding him.  he avoids answering questions IN PUBLIC ON THE RECORD where such a response would please the left, but anger the majority of the electorate).

Third, it should be very easy for him to answer the question on SDI except the left is opposed to it.  Is he a stealth candidate that is taking the lef's money when he supports the SDI, or has he flipp(out) and now opposes the SDI, but is afraid of telling the voters of his opposition?

Fourth, if you look back in the record, I have had a number of highly favorable things to say about Jim Webb.  However, the question remains aw to whether Webb has changed (as the lefties funding him suggest) or whether he is tricking them (which would be unlike the Jim Webb I know).

Oh, and BTW, have you ever read any of his books?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 03:54:12 PM »

Carl, I don't think I attacked you by calling you a "hard-core conservative". That is just the truth.

Like most, you do not understand "the left". "The left" supports James Webb because he is a proud Democrat with a backbone. He won't sit back and let George Allen smear him. He was a war hero with great foreign policy cred, and he has been opposed to the Iraq war all along.

"The left" knows that James Webb doesn't agree with them on every issue, but he does agree with them on the majority of issues. I can't think of any big issues where he would truly anger "the left".

The SDI is really not that big a issue in most people's minds.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 03:58:21 PM »

How do you know the "old Jim Webb" is any different from the "new Jim Webb" since he obviously never answered these questions in the past also according to you???

I think Jim Webb is a man of high principle who changes his positions for no one. The fact that you don't like his position on the Iraq War, added to the glaring absence of any facts on your part that show him to be out of the mainstream or of having ever switched positions on any issue show how truly asinine it is to group him with the "loony left".

Deano, try to drop the vitrol and look at the facts.

First, Jim Webb was an intelligence, courageous and honorable man (I have admitted that up front).

Second, today Webb's campaign is being funded largely by the loony left (you can see that online).

Third, today the lefties are bragging in gatherings that they 'own' Webb.

Fourth, the old Webb would have had no problem answering the NPAT questionaire.  Today he won't.  Why? I don't think he is timid.  I do think that honestly answering the questions would either cut off his funding (if you believe he hasn't gone lefty) or destroy his election chances (if he has changed his opinions).  

Now, if Webb doesn't subscribe to the left's nostrums, let him go on the record with the NPAT.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 04:05:17 PM »

Carl, I don't think I attacked you by calling you a "hard-core conservative". That is just the truth.

Like most, you do not understand "the left". "The left" supports James Webb because he is a proud Democrat with a backbone. He won't sit back and let George Allen smear him. He was a war hero with great foreign policy cred, and he has been opposed to the Iraq war all along.

"The left" knows that James Webb doesn't agree with them on every issue, but he does agree with them on the majority of issues. I can't think of any big issues where he would truly anger "the left".

The SDI is really not that big a issue in most people's minds.

First, please reread your closing on the previous posting to which I responded.  I seem to recall you making a statement about "smearing".

Second, with the growth weaponry of rogue states like North Korea and Iran, SDI IS a big issue.  The old Jim Webb would have no problem answering the question.  Why does the new Jim Webb have that problem?

Third, so is Webb in favor of racial prefences for education, employment and contracts.  I think if he went out and opposed such prefences, he would anger the left.  However, most voters would agree with him.  Why won't he answer this simple question?

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 04:15:51 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2006, 04:33:56 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

Well, lets see.

The people who are bankrolling his campaign are left wing kooks.

He has been given ample opportunties to indicate that he does not agree with the kooky left wing nostrums (check with the people at Vote Smart).

He won 't answer rather basic questions.

The lefties have told me that while he agrees with them on things like racial prefences and amnesty for illegal aliens (to cite but two examples) he won't say so publicly because it would cost him votes.

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »

You are clueless, Carl. You are one of the most strict right-wing Ideologues I have ever seen.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 04:36:41 PM »

I noticed that aside from the attacks, you have not answered many of my questions (and many of those 'answers' were vague and non-responsive).

Also, suggest you read Webb's books.

If you don't think he has changed, I'll bet you would disagree with him.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 04:43:10 PM »

I'm sure Scoonie would really love Mr Webb! Wink At least Mr Webb did say something right!

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Deano963

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 05:08:06 PM »

I notice that my post where I called Carl out for his hypocrisy has been removed. Funny how a wingnut can tell someone to stop the "vitriol" when all they are doing is presenting them with facts and said wingnut can say "loony left" as many times as he wans w/out bakcing up any of his claims.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies