26 Former U.S. Officials Oppose Bush (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:54:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  26 Former U.S. Officials Oppose Bush (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 26 Former U.S. Officials Oppose Bush  (Read 6370 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

« on: June 13, 2004, 10:02:12 PM »

WASHINGTON - Angered by Bush administration policies they contend endanger national security, 26 retired U.S. diplomats and military officers are urging Americans to vote President Bush (news - web sites) out of office in November.

The group, which calls itself Diplomats and Military Commanders for Change, does not explicitly endorse Democrat John Kerry for president in its campaign, which will start officially Wednesday at a Washington news conference.

The Bush-Cheney campaign said Sunday it would have no response until the group formally issues its statement at the news conference.

Among the group are 20 ambassadors, appointed by both Democratic and Republican presidents, other former State Department officials and military leaders whose careers span three decades.

Prominent members include retired Marine Gen. Joseph P. Hoar, commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East during the administration of Bush's father; retired Adm. William J. Crowe Jr., ambassador to Britain under President Clinton and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President Reagan; and Jack F. Matlock Jr., a member of the National Security Council under Reagan and ambassador to the Soviet Union from 1987 to 1991.

"We agreed that we had just lost confidence in the ability of the Bush administration to advocate for American interests or to provide the kind of leadership that we think is essential," said William C. Harrop, the first President Bush's ambassador to Israel, and earlier to four African countries.

"The group does not endorse Kerry, although it more or less goes without saying in the statement," Harrop said Sunday in a telephone interview.

Harrop said he listed himself as an independent for years for career purposes but usually has voted Republican.

The former ambassador said diplomats and military officials normally avoid making political statements, especially in an election year.

"Some of us are not that comfortable with it, but we just feel very strongly that the country needs new leadership," Harrop said.

He said the group was disillusioned by Bush's handling of the war in Iraq and a list of other subjects, including the Middle East, environmental conservation, AIDS policy, ethnic and religious conflict and weapons proliferation.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040614/ap_on_el_pr/diplomats_letter_3
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 10:05:28 PM »

Yeah, who cares if 26 experts say that the Bush admin has done a poor job.  If you've had the Kool-Aid nothing matters, right?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 10:09:20 PM »

Won't matter unless the election is decided by 26 votes.

True, but I have to believe that a former director of the CIA has better clue when it comes to foreign policy and national security than Jim the Janitor who voted for Bush.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 10:12:16 PM »

Yeah, who cares if 26 experts say that the Bush admin has done a poor job.  If you've had the Kool-Aid nothing matters, right?

I could find 100 "experts" to say Bush is doing a good job. What's your point?

And yet these 100 have not come forward.  These are real experts.  Retired Generals, a former head of the CIA, ambassadors to the Soviet Union, Israel, Saudi Arabia.  You aren't going to find people with those kind of credentials.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 10:20:55 PM »

But who is more qualified to make statements about foreign policy?  A janitor or a CIA director?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 10:28:01 PM »

But who is more qualified to make statements about foreign policy?  A janitor or a CIA director?

Both in their own ways.

ROTFLMAO
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 10:29:27 PM »

NEWS FLASH -- GOP says fishermen should be Nuclear Scientists.  Story at 11.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 10:34:39 PM »

If I want to tax advice I go to an accountant.
If I want advice on working out I go to a trainer.
If I want to know how to fly a plane I'll talk to a pilot.

If I want advice on National Security I'll talk to people who (like these 26) have worked in the field.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 11:15:52 AM »

MODU, a quick review of michnews.com leaves me with a feeling that they are a conservative biased news source.  Note the Bush-Cheney '04 banner on their front page (no Kerry banner).  They also contain links to the Drudge Report and Limbaugh but none to any liberal commentators.

I'm not saying this news story is true or false, just pointing out that your source may be a bit biased.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 09:44:57 AM »

We had another thread about becoming a diplomat. Seems you can basically buy your way into the office. Doesn't sound like it takes much of a rocket scientist to get the spot.

That's what was suggested by a person posting on here.  And while the position of Ambassador to Liechtenstein is a relatively unimportant position which can be given to a campaign donor, Ambassador to Israel or the Soviet Union should always be a senior state department official.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 02:20:29 PM »

We had another thread about becoming a diplomat. Seems you can basically buy your way into the office. Doesn't sound like it takes much of a rocket scientist to get the spot.

That's what was suggested by a person posting on here.  And while the position of Ambassador to Liechtenstein is a relatively unimportant position which can be given to a campaign donor, Ambassador to Israel or the Soviet Union should always be a senior state department official.

I heave read that even G.H.W. Bush hasn't supported all the policies of his son. But does that mean he doesn't want to see him re-elected? Absolutely not. I'm just pointing something else out.

A fair and valid point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies