NPAT Test: Abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:20:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  NPAT Test: Abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Poll
Question: Indicate which principles you support regarding abortion:
Abortions should always be illegal

Abortions should always be legal

Abortions should be legal only within the first trimester of pregnancy

Abortions should be legal when the pregnancy resulted from rape or incest

Abortions should be legal when the life of the woman is endangered

Prohibit public funding of abortions and organizations that advocate or perform abortions

Other (please elaborate)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: NPAT Test: Abortion  (Read 12107 times)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2007, 01:31:36 PM »

Fetuses aren't people no matter what screwed up definition you use.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2007, 05:12:58 PM »

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2007, 06:30:07 PM »

Well, they are in my definition - and God's - this is why the abortion debate can NEVER be solved - it all goes down to definition of life.  So, let's just call the debate quits b/c I think it's beginning to annoy Alcon.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2007, 07:19:59 PM »

Just because an invisible man in the sky tells you so, doesn't make it true.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »

Just because an invisible man in the sky tells you so, doesn't make it true.
Indeed.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2007, 07:55:30 PM »

Whatever helps you sleep better at night. They have the POTENTIAL to become a fully grown human being. Grow a heart.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2007, 05:20:54 AM »

Whatever helps you sleep better at night. They have the POTENTIAL to become a fully grown human being. Grow a heart.

Which the fetuses you are advocating don't even have yet.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2007, 07:09:59 AM »

Having the potential to become human isn't enough for me. You lose. I win
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2007, 09:24:08 AM »

Most fetuses have the potential.

And Straha - it doesn't matter what's enough for you - it matters what God thinks.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2007, 09:29:16 AM »

And Straha - it doesn't matter what's enough for you - it matters what God thinks.
Yes I know it matters what I think.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2007, 12:38:33 PM »

The Holy Spirit touched me-- should I call social services?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »

Exactly.

Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2007, 06:58:28 PM »

The Holy Spirit touched me-- should I call social services?
No. You should call the police.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2007, 06:10:33 PM »

Well, read harder (and no, not perfectly healthy, but some instances, the misdiagnosis is a disease where the person can live) - read the part under "Diagnosis":

Erm, it looks to me like it says that the false diagnosis in question is that an anencephalic baby could live for years after birth.

Which is a fact that supports my viewpoint, not yours...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2007, 12:23:19 AM »

Well, read harder (and no, not perfectly healthy, but some instances, the misdiagnosis is a disease where the person can live) - read the part under "Diagnosis":

Erm, it looks to me like it says that the false diagnosis in question is that an anencephalic baby could live for years after birth.

How?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2007, 12:50:46 AM »

I asked God what he thinks. I didn't get a response! I demand a full refund.

How?
How exactly is aborting an anencephalic baby murderous, especially considering that they are permanently unconscious and completely incapable of functioning? Would you be in favour of banning pregnant women carrying such babies from having abortions and, assuming that the babies are even born alive, forcibly keeping them on life support until whenever they die? Keeping an anencephalic baby alive seems far more inhumane than giving it a quick and dignified death.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2007, 01:07:39 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2007, 01:09:47 AM by Governor, Vice-Chair, & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

I asked God what he thinks. I didn't get a response! I demand a full refund.

How?
How exactly is aborting an anencephalic baby murderous, especially considering that they are permanently unconscious and completely incapable of functioning? Would you be in favour of banning pregnant women carrying such babies from having abortions and, assuming that the babies are even born alive, forcibly keeping them on life support until whenever they die? Keeping an anencephalic baby alive seems far more inhumane than giving it a quick and dignified death.

Because sometimes they are misdiagnosed - that was my whole point.

One of the misdiagnoses is Microcephaly - which you can live w/.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2007, 07:42:21 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2007, 07:43:57 AM by Ebowed »

How?

You are saying that a fetus can be misdiagnosed as anencephalic, thus wrongly persuading the couple to get an abortion in such an instance.  The things that you can confuse anencephelia with, however, are simply other types of severe brain dysfunctions.

Wikipedia's mention of false prognoses refers to the idea proposed by some pro-life advocates that the anencephalic baby can live for up to years after birth.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2007, 04:10:33 PM »

How?

You are saying that a fetus can be misdiagnosed as anencephalic, thus wrongly persuading the couple to get an abortion in such an instance.  The things that you can confuse anencephelia with, however, are simply other types of severe brain dysfunctions.

Wikipedia's mention of false prognoses refers to the idea proposed by some pro-life advocates that the anencephalic baby can live for up to years after birth.

No - the baby can be misdiagnosed when he/she really has microcephaly - which you can live with.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2007, 12:12:17 AM »

One question that was raised in bioethics today-

What exactly is the interest of the state to promote life? Ya know, besides tangible personal protection.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2007, 12:28:57 AM »

One question that was raised in bioethics today-

What exactly is the interest of the state to promote life? Ya know, besides tangible personal protection.

Constitution - The gov't should at least protect life - otherwise, why do anything - if you don't promote life, why should you even promote welfare or any public service?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2007, 12:35:47 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2007, 12:44:07 AM by Begaj'ho Bag'dasarian »

You don't get it. I mean life as an intangible concept outside of security for those that live beyond a reasonable shadow of the doubt. - and that brings me to another issue.

How can you murder a fetus when you cannot prove that a fetus can be murdered beyond a reasonable doubt?   

....and is a subjective value actually promoted through the means of objective biological reductionism? I mean, if person hood becomes just a chemical process, does that mean that humans are only chemicals to be dealt with in the same way as salts and esters? This leads me to believe that the pro-life movement is an attempt to use people's love of life to devalue it so that it would become socially commendable to make basic human rights into privileges. On the surface, the pro-life movement would seem to be progressive, because it increases the franchise and increases the public interests in those other than ourselves, but it is really reactionary because its goal is the opposite. Just how popular sovereignty was kept at bay using popular sovereignty in the south, in terms of race, since the dawn of our distinct civilization.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2007, 02:19:55 AM »

You don't get it. I mean life as an intangible concept outside of security for those that live beyond a reasonable shadow of the doubt. - and that brings me to another issue.

How can you murder a fetus when you cannot prove that a fetus can be murdered beyond a reasonable doubt?   

....and is a subjective value actually promoted through the means of objective biological reductionism? I mean, if person hood becomes just a chemical process, does that mean that humans are only chemicals to be dealt with in the same way as salts and esters? This leads me to believe that the pro-life movement is an attempt to use people's love of life to devalue it so that it would become socially commendable to make basic human rights into privileges. On the surface, the pro-life movement would seem to be progressive, because it increases the franchise and increases the public interests in those other than ourselves, but it is really reactionary because its goal is the opposite. Just how popular sovereignty was kept at bay using popular sovereignty in the south, in terms of race, since the dawn of our distinct civilization.

No, you don't get it - it doesn't matter how we define life - it matters how God defines life.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2007, 09:02:42 AM »

Newsflash there's either no god or she doesn't care.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2007, 10:13:59 AM »

Yes, the question that scientists and philosophers have pondered for years has been solved by the all wise straha.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies