Webb vs. Allen in televised debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:56:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Webb vs. Allen in televised debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Webb vs. Allen in televised debate  (Read 4293 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2006, 12:26:07 PM »

Certainly not a "slaughtering" by Webb.  Small victory at best.

I would agree.  I'm not sure how much of an impact it will make, if any, on the polls.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2006, 12:31:35 PM »

Bleah.  Meet the Press is so vapid now it is sickening.

Russert did not seem to be too much on one side this time, at least.

No major gaffes that will make the evening news, so probably a net null effect.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2006, 12:59:13 PM »

Allen is a complete dope.

I liked how Webb made the distrinction that the people backing the "McCain/Warner" bill are those who served, and the other side is all "theorists" like George Allen who never served.

Webb also said that "George Allen did not serve in Vietnam, and even the French served"......................hilarious.

Good points. That French line cracked me up! Webb came a way with a solid, not spectacular performance. My dad said Allen looked like he'd rather be watching Redskins Football than debating a war hero.

Webb did a better job defending his comments on women iin the Navy than Allen did defending his infamous "Macaca" comments.

The best line of the debate came after Allen's non-response to the Macaca question and his bizarre non sequitor on "education and Virginia's future." Instead of nailing Allen for evading the question, Russert made a subtle dig by saying, "I've read your brochure."
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2006, 05:18:45 PM »

Like to sleep till just before kickoff, so I taped it & watched it after the Giant game.  Webb clearly won the debate.  Maybe not a slaughter but clearly a solid  victory.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2006, 05:43:44 PM »

I am watching it right now.  I'm a little disappointed.  I didn't know that Webb was against women in the military; right after I found that out, I was not too shocked that Allen also holds the sexist view.  So, people are choosing a sexist for Senate, no matter who they vote for.
Plus, Webb's rug is incredibly apparent.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2006, 07:47:43 PM »

I am watching it right now.  I'm a little disappointed.  I didn't know that Webb was against women in the military; right after I found that out, I was not too shocked that Allen also holds the sexist view.  So, people are choosing a sexist for Senate, no matter who they vote for.
Plus, Webb's rug is incredibly apparent.

He's not against women in the military; he's against placing them in combat.  That's what his paper specifically says.  I think most of America agrees that women shouldn't be leading infantry missions in the trenches.  He doesn't want to place women in the thick of fire, and I don't see that as ultra-sexist.  In any case, Webb apologized if his paper sounded offensive, but made it clear what point he was trying to make.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2006, 07:49:30 PM »

I am watching it right now.  I'm a little disappointed.  I didn't know that Webb was against women in the military;

Ummm.....he's not. You need to watch a little closer next time.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2006, 03:29:47 PM »

I thought Allen handled himself well with the macaca remark. 
Deano963

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2006, 04:06:18 PM »

I thought Allen handled himself well with the macaca remark. 

Oh, quite well.....Allen offered explanantion #26: "I made it up on the spot". Riiiiight.

What ever happened to "It's a nickname I use all the time b/c he (Sidarth) has a mohawk" or his aides' expalanation of "it's a word we use b/c he's a sh**thead"?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2006, 04:15:53 PM »

I would respect Allen more if he answered honestly that he has a background in French from his mother, and that the word 'macaca' was intended to be precisely as it sounded -as a racial epithet, but in a foreign language so most Americans wouldn't know what the hell he just said. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2006, 04:31:15 PM »

I would respect Allen more if he answered honestly that he has a background in French from his mother, and that the word 'macaca' was intended to be precisely as it sounded -as a racial epithet, but in a foreign language so most Americans wouldn't know what the hell he just said. 

Just another thing I have in common w/George Allen, I hate people knowing that I am part French (6%) and that my last name when pronoucned correctly is French
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2006, 05:07:26 PM »

I thought Allen totally blew it at the end when the Macaca comment and the Flag stuff came up. As I said, he started talking about how he came from a football family. Is he trying to imply that all football families are racist scum? You could tell he didn't have a good answer, yeah...he made it up...that's why he didn't pause or do anything to indicate that he was making something up on the spot.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2006, 06:34:50 AM »

Here's a shot at their feet from the debate:
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2006, 08:21:39 AM »

Hmmm...either Webb has shell shock, or he got goofy political advise from an advisor. Either way, I still think he won the debate.
Deano963

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2006, 12:08:11 PM »

Hmmm...either Webb has shell shock, or he got goofy political advise from an advisor. Either way, I still think he won the debate.

Are you referring to his combat boots? B/c he always wears them. They are his son's boots and he wears them as a sign of support for his son and every other Marine in Iraq.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2006, 07:18:38 PM »

Just about everyone I know who can vote or votes is voting for Allen, even my grandfather who voted for Gore and Kerry said he is voting for Allen and said he wouldn't trust Webb with his life. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2006, 07:34:11 PM »

Just about everyone I know who can vote or votes is voting for Allen, even my grandfather who voted for Gore and Kerry said he is voting for Allen and said he wouldn't trust Webb with his life. 

Allen is at only 46% in the latest Mason-Dixon poll, which seems a little more trustworthy than how you think people you know will vote.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2006, 08:11:14 PM »

Are you referring to his combat boots? B/c he always wears them. They are his son's boots and he wears them as a sign of support for his son and every other Marine in Iraq.

I guess that makes it a little more respectable...but wouldn't a yellow ribbon pin or something have sufficed? Haha. We don't need people thinking he has PTSD.
Deano963

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2006, 08:31:39 PM »

I guess that makes it a little more respectable...but wouldn't a yellow ribbon pin or something have sufficed? Haha. We don't need people thinking he has PTSD.

I don't think we need worry about that. Wearing combat boots when you are a former Marine and Navy veteran is a bit more authentic than Allen who wears cowboy boots but was raised in California.....he just tries to play the part of the rural hick good 'ol boy and he is so full of crap.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2006, 08:41:02 PM »

You don't see heels like those every day.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2006, 08:58:33 PM »

Does George Allen really fcuking wear those cowboy boots?

Jesus Christ...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2006, 09:09:16 PM »

Does George Allen really fcuking wear those cowboy boots?

Jesus Christ...

What's amazing is the people who think we need another all hat no cattle President.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies