S.D. governor halts execution of killer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:42:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you agree or disagree w/ the governor?
Agree

Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: S.D. governor halts execution of killer  (Read 4600 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2006, 09:03:19 PM »
« edited: September 01, 2006, 11:23:05 PM by Inks.LWC »

I disagree

Family photo via Rapid City Journal/AP
This undated photo shows Elijah Page as a teenager. Page, 24, of Athens, Texas, is scheduled to die by lethal injection this week for the brutal slaying of 19-year-old Chester Allan Poage, near Spearfish, S.D., six years ago.

Chester Allan Poage  AP

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Gov. Mike Rounds on Tuesday halted the execution of the state's first prison inmate in 59 years just hours before it was scheduled.
Elijah Page, 24, had waived his appeals and asked to be executed for the torture slaying of a Spearfish man six years ago.

A spokesman for the governor had said earlier that Rounds had no plans to intercede. But Tuesday afternoon Rounds delayed the execution and said he would talk about his decision at a news conference later in the day.

Page rejected pleas from friends and death penalty opponents that he reconsider as his execution drew near.

The last execution in South Dakota was in 1947, when George Sitts died in the electric chair for killing two law enforcement officers.

Earlier this year, Page persuaded a judge to let him fire his lawyer and face the executioner for his role in the 2000 slaying of Chester Allan Poage, 19.

Page and two other young men killed Poage in Higgins Gulch in the Black Hills so that there would be no witness to the theft of a Chevy Blazer, stereo, television, coin collection, video game and other items from the victim's home.

As Poage begged for his life, the three men made him take off most of his clothes and forced him into an icy creek. His killers stabbed him repeatedly, kicked him in the head 30 to 40 times, tearing his ears off, then bashed him with large rocks. He was also forced to drink hydrochloric acid. The torture lasted at least two hours.

Page and Briley Piper, 25, pleaded guilty and a judge sentenced them to die. Darrell Hoadley, 26, was convicted, and a divided jury sentenced him to life in prison with no parole.

Page's case was considered unusual because a judge, not a jury, imposed the death sentence, because he asked to die, and because of his age. Death penalty groups said only seven people younger than 25 had been executed in the United States since the U.S. Supreme Court allowed capital punishment to resume in 1976.

Amnesty International USA urged Gov. Mike Rounds to grant Page clemency.

"Elijah Page's case clearly demonstrates that our capital punishment system is a lottery of death," said the group's executive director, Larry Cox, noting that one of Page's co-defendants was sentenced to life in prison.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:07:40 PM »

Really.  Wow.  I'm surprised.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 10:34:33 PM »

very suprised, but happily.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 10:39:44 PM »

I agree with Rounds, but still, this guy is human trash.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 05:21:58 AM »

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Gov. Mike Rounds on Tuesday halted the execution of the state's first prison inmate in 59 years just hours before it was scheduled.
Grammar and sense went out the window here. Page is not "the state's first prison inmate in 59 years". Or, if he is, I'm catching a plane to that happy anarchist utopia, South Dakota, tomorrow.

Something also went wrong with those pictures, I think. Unless Page and Poage are the same person. Smiley

If Page wants to commit suicide, he has my full understanding and support. But he should not use government machinery for that.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 10:54:18 AM »

I agree with the premise that a jury should be responsible for giving out the death penalty, not a judge. I think it's something that's too important to be left in the hands of one person to decide on their own.

In any event, I agree with the decision. Although this was a particularly brutal slaying that definitely should be considered a possible death penalty case, I don't see why he warranted a stiffer punishment than the others who commited the crime.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 12:28:44 PM »

Apparentely this has to do with Rounds being concerned about the legality of the state's current execution method, a two-drug lethal injection that was drafted in 1984. The current standard is a three-drug, and he's worried using a two-drug method will open the state to potential lawsuits or the statute being declared unconstitutional.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 03:46:25 PM »

Grammar and sense went out the window here. Page is not "the state's first prison inmate in 59 years". Or, if he is, I'm catching a plane to that happy anarchist utopia, South Dakota, tomorrow.

Something also went wrong with those pictures, I think. Unless Page and Poage are the same person. Smiley

If Page wants to commit suicide, he has my full understanding and support. But he should not use government machinery for that.

no, pics are good. and whats wrong w/ the grammar?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 04:39:13 PM »

All I can say is: Win.

This is a great call, and hopefully will effect public opinion in the state about the issue.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 04:59:58 PM »

Obviously the criminals should  be executed. But what I find interesting is how often these people torture their victims, even though it decreases their odds of getting away with the crime, often substantially. It means that the motive was only partly to cover up the crime-- mostly, the motive was to act like a monster.

But as usual, the lefties love killers and hate victims. I bet they'd change their tune, at least mentally, if they went through what this guy did.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 05:38:44 PM »

Disappointed. This is clearly a case where the death penalty is warranted and should be administered without second thought. Reading what this guy did about made me half sick.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 07:15:33 PM »

Clearly a case where the death penalty is warranted.  Of course I'm in favor of using the death penalty a good bit more broadly than some.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »

Good for the governor.

Death should be in God's hands, not ours.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 10:28:12 PM »

Execution delayed until at least July 1, 2007.

The legislature has until then to establish a new suitable death penalty law.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 12:21:03 AM »

Good for the governor.

Death should be in God's hands, not ours.

You have it backwards. It's the afterlife that's in 'God's hands.' The death penalty just forces the decision at an earlier date (presumably most murderers don't fare well in God's analysis, but some are repentent no doubt).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 02:27:42 AM »

Disagree (don't hate justice).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 02:49:14 AM »

Agree (hates justice).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 01:22:39 PM »

no, pics are good.
maybe I'm alone in that, but I'm seeing the same picture twice, except once it says that's the victim and once it says that's the killer who wants to die.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
He's not the first prison inmate in 59 years. He'd be the first person to be executed by SD in 59 years (at least, I assume that's what is meant.) But that's not what it says.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 03:01:22 PM »

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 03:50:37 PM »

Disappointed. This is clearly a case where the death penalty is warranted and should be administered without second thought. Reading what this guy did about made me half sick.

These are the kinds of cases where I want to personally go and administer the death penalty--why would you do that to another human.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 04:00:09 PM »

Good news.  At least this piece of scum can rot in jail for a while, instead of being given an easy exit.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 04:12:16 PM »

These are the kinds of cases where I want to personally go and administer the death penalty--why would you do that to another human.

So you wouldn't want to kill another human, but yet you'd like to kill another human.

Hmm.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 04:20:32 PM »

So you wouldn't want to kill another human, but yet you'd like to kill another human.

Hmm.

I was just about to respond with the exact same thing.  Tongue

Smiley
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »

You have it backwards. It's the afterlife that's in 'God's hands.' The death penalty just forces the decision at an earlier date (presumably most murderers don't fare well in God's analysis, but some are repentent no doubt).

"Presumably" God welcomes everyone, including the murderers.  And point me in the right direction in history where God gave to man the judgments and responsibilities over life and death.  Until then, my belief is that we shouldn't have a say in who dies and who lives based on the kind of crime they've committed.

Taking religion out of the debate, it is a fact that the death penalty is a pretty barbaric (not to mention permanent) form of punishment that does very little to actually detour someone from committing the crime in the first place.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 09:11:59 PM »

Good news.  At least this piece of scum can rot in jail for a while, instead of being given an easy exit.

And note that he fired his lawyer and dropped all appeals. He's not even fighting this. How is it justice?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies