a hypothetical for the anti-stem cell research folks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:14:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  a hypothetical for the anti-stem cell research folks
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: what do you do?
save the baby

save the petri dish

I don't oppose embryonic stem cell research

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: a hypothetical for the anti-stem cell research folks  (Read 2052 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2006, 01:53:08 PM »

You're in a hospital room. There's a newborn baby in a crib next to you and a petri dish with over a thousand embryos on the other side. Suddenly a wall collapses and a fire breaks out. You have to get out, and you only have enough time to escape grabbing the baby or the petri dish. Which do you take?

By the logic of the anti-stem cell research folks, it would be better to save the petri dish, as that is over a thousand "humans" as opposed to only one.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:06:13 PM »

The baby--it is more likely to survive after a fire and all that smoke; however, there are lives in the petri dish.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 05:54:12 AM »

The baby--it is more likely to survive after a fire and all that smoke; however, there are lives in the petri dish.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 07:28:55 AM »

There are very few on here who are anti-embryonic stem cell research.  We are primarily anti-US tax dollars being spent on the destruction of embryos.  Private firms can fund the research themselves.  As in the news article I posted last week, there is a new method out which might allow the creation of embryonic stemcells by removing a single cell from an embryo.  As long as the development of the embryo is not impaired, I have no problems with federal funding going to this method of research.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 01:34:05 PM »

There are very few on here who are anti-embryonic stem cell research.  We are primarily anti-US tax dollars being spent on the destruction of embryos.  Private firms can fund the research themselves.  As in the news article I posted last week, there is a new method out which might allow the creation of embryonic stemcells by removing a single cell from an embryo.  As long as the development of the embryo is not impaired, I have no problems with federal funding going to this method of research.

MODU, I thought you had no objection to Embryonic stem cell research on moral grounds. You just thought taxpayers shouldnt pay for everything. Now they find this new way to do the research and you do dont oppose federal funding, correct? If so then you do have have moral objections to stem cell research with the destruction of embryoes. EVEN THOUGH THOSE EMBRYOES ARE GOING TO BE DESTROYED ANYWAYS.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 02:01:16 PM »

Obviously you save the baby, the petri dish won't surive the fire.  But if you can save them both, because the petri dish will become life, you save them both. 
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 04:01:17 PM »

MODU, I thought you had no objection to Embryonic stem cell research on moral grounds. You just thought taxpayers shouldnt pay for everything. Now they find this new way to do the research and you do dont oppose federal funding, correct? If so then you do have have moral objections to stem cell research with the destruction of embryoes. EVEN THOUGH THOSE EMBRYOES ARE GOING TO BE DESTROYED ANYWAYS.

Points which I have been consistant on:
- I do not have any moral objections of private funds being used to destroy embryos to conduct research on embryonic stem cells.
- Tax payers should pay for everything.
- Tax payers should pay for the destruction of embryos in the name of science.
- Research companies should be able to buy unneeded embryo's from fertility clinics with the parents approval. 

So, what's your point? 

One thing which people keep ignoring in this discussion is the developmental stage of the embryo which researchers are looking for in order to obtain the "perfect" cells.  This is within the first few divisions of the cells, which places it within the first week of fertilization.  Most fertility clinics allow embryos to develope into the second week to ensure that the embryo is active and suitable for IVF.  They produce multiple embryos from the same parents in case the first IVF treatment doesn't take (which is often).  Since it takes a few weeks between IVF treatments, your embryo's (event though they are frozen), have still matured, but just at a very slow rate.  So, not all of the embryo's left over from patient uses are adequate for the type of research desired by the scientists.  Now, if the researchers want to do the fertilization process themselves and destroy the embryo at the right age, they are more than free to do so, but that will cost them more money than buying slightly more mature embryos from fertility clinics.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 07:16:35 AM »

If it is baby BRTD, well then the Petri dish, mainly because only one of those embryos is at least 3x smarter then BRTD.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 06:52:09 PM »

For you all skirting the question by saying the embryos wouldnt survive, lets say they would.  Would you save 1000 embryos or a baby?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 11:47:18 AM »

For you all skirting the question by saying the embryos wouldnt survive, lets say they would.  Would you save 1000 embryos or a baby?
A baby.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 07:27:25 PM »

a baby (normal and sane)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies