AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:31:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 35
Author Topic: AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST)  (Read 133937 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: September 19, 2006, 02:11:09 PM »

YAY!!!!! Are you going to do a county map?

I wish!  No, I don't really have the time, resources, or in-depth knowledge of each of Iowa's counties to do that.  Sorry!

I wasn't really planning on it.  There will be some limited analysis of each campaign, though.

Its ok.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #301 on: September 19, 2006, 02:17:17 PM »

Speech 3: Immigration
   America faces many problems today, but that is nothing new.  Each generation has its own challenges to face, but those challenges have always been met by America with strength and determination.  Our own challenges are ready to be faced, and we must confront them, not cower behind walls of our own making.
   Immigration is such a challenge, and it is one that cannot be faced merely by building fences.  We need to adjust the supply and demand for legal immigration so as far as possible remove the incentives for illegal immigration.  We need instead to encourage economic development abroad so as to enable those who come here for only economic reasons to stay home.  We need to alter our immigration system so that those who read and speak English and thus are better prepared to integrate into our society receive priority over others.  We need to enforce the already existing laws against the employment of undocumented workers.  All of these would mitigate the disruption caused by our current immigration policy.

Let's pull out the stops and fund that single ad I produced at Level 3, the maximum the game's rules will allow.  If I had some polling data to show where the voters are most disgruntled with politics as usual, I'd try to emphasize that, since that is what my campaign is focusing on, but absent that I'll hold off until New Hampshire to fund new ads.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #302 on: September 19, 2006, 02:22:25 PM »

I wish!  No, I don't really have the time, resources, or in-depth knowledge of each of Iowa's counties to do that.  Sorry!

I could make one if you want Smiley

You'd just need to say which candidates ran best in rural areas, urban areas, blue collar areas, Catholic areas and so on, and it'd be fairly easy to do.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #303 on: September 19, 2006, 02:33:07 PM »

My final Iowa speech...

I want to finish off my campaign with a little speech on the sort of society I would like to see, the sort of society you would like to see, the sort of society we would all like to see.

I want a society in which we can all leave our doors unlocked at night, without fear of crime.
I want a society in which decent healthcare is a right, and not a privilege of the wealthy few.
I want a society in which the scars of poverty, racism and rampant corruption are but things taught in history lessons.
I want a society in which anyone who wants a job can have a job and in which the family farmer does not have to live in fear of his creditors.
I want a just society, a fair society and, above all, a friendly society.

And you, the wonderful people of this wonderful state, have a chance to begin the process of making this dream into a reality. Vote wisely and God bless you all!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #304 on: September 19, 2006, 02:54:52 PM »

Vote Andrew Leitch, for a new future, uniting our communities and working to bring prosperity to Iowa and to the nation! Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #305 on: September 19, 2006, 03:02:16 PM »

And that's enough of that.  No more revisions or additions will be accepted as of now, and I'll just calculate the results.

Good luck everybody. Smiley
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #306 on: September 19, 2006, 06:12:42 PM »

And that's enough of that.  No more revisions or additions will be accepted as of now, and I'll just calculate the results.

Good luck everybody. Smiley

Have you posted these yet? I'm anxious to know.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #307 on: September 19, 2006, 07:47:58 PM »

Okay, results are up in the respective threads.  Congratulations to all of you for doing as well as you did. Cool

Before we move on to the actual campaign in New Hampshire, I have something of a surprise bonus round.

My good friends Hughento and MODU have agreed to host two N.H. debates; the former will host the Democratic debate, and the latter will host the Republican debate.  This is the only debate you will face during the primary campaign.  As you can expect, your performances will be judged and will affect how well you do in the N.H. primary.  (Not too much though, so don't start peeing your pants.)

How the debates are run will be largely up to Hugh and MODU, but they should get started some time tomorrow, and I imagine they'll be over after about three days or so.

Good luck to everybody for those. Smiley
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #308 on: September 19, 2006, 07:50:29 PM »

I wouldn't say I did good, but maybe NH will be a little better.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #309 on: September 19, 2006, 07:52:53 PM »

Congratulations to Governer Mabus!

I did better than I thought I would; 11 delegates ain't a bad start all told Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2006, 07:53:07 PM »

I wouldn't say I did good, but maybe NH will be a little better.

By all means, being the only Northeastern Democrat should help you a little, but heed whatever advice/admonishment is available in the analyses.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #311 on: September 19, 2006, 07:57:20 PM »

I'm waffling.  I was for arage but now I sort of like Calhoun.  I like his vision.

but I'm very confused.  can I even vote in the republican primary?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #312 on: September 19, 2006, 08:01:21 PM »

I'm waffling.  I was for arage but now I sort of like Calhoun.  I like his vision.

but I'm very confused.  can I even vote in the republican primary?

Unfortunately not.  However, there *might* be an opportunity to cast another endorsement donation in later stages, and there'll most definitely be another opportunity to do so during the general election campaign. Smiley
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: September 19, 2006, 08:07:50 PM »

Can we start with our preperations for the New Hampshire campaign or should we wait for you to give the signal?

It's basically just the numbers we have now plus 60 for hours right?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #314 on: September 19, 2006, 08:10:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well basically my strategy for the rest of the states is just to make use of all the speechs and ads that I can since I'm not going to be doing alot of general campaigning. Good ads plus good speechs plus momentum will help me in the end.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #315 on: September 19, 2006, 08:23:45 PM »

I thank the good people of Iowa for their support.  I've done much better here than most were expecting when I began this campaign.  Leaving here tied for the most delegates with Senator Wixted, who spent so much more time here, is effectively a victory, and I hope to carry this momentum on to New Hampshire where I hope to turn an effective vcitory into a total victory, and continue that until November.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #316 on: September 19, 2006, 08:23:57 PM »

Can we start with our preperations for the New Hampshire campaign or should we wait for you to give the signal?

By all means, but please don't actually post them here until the debates are over.  Also, don't forget that as NH is smaller than IA, campaign org levels and ads will be cheaper.  I'll clarify that soon.

Yep.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #317 on: September 19, 2006, 08:37:17 PM »

I would like the thank my campaign staff and voters for their support in this caucus.  A fourth place finish is definatly not a disappointment for thsi campaign, seeing as we came into Iowa second to last in the polls.  I think we should all be proud of the work we have done.  I would like to congratulate all my opponents on their campaigns.  My goal here in Iowa was that the people become familiar with who I am as a person, and I think we have achieved that.  I look forward to the rest of the campaign, and esspecially a spirited contest in New Hampshire.  Thank you all.  God Bless.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #318 on: September 19, 2006, 08:41:55 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2006, 08:44:16 PM by Supersoulty »

So... when do we get to do all the fun opposition research and scandal stuff.  Smiley

I acctually do have an idea for this.  I think Joe could send us potentially damaging things on the other candidates, then we get to decide whether or not to use them.

Joe could then act as a kinda News Agency, judging the impact of the scandals, and whether they can be easily refuted or not.

P.S.  How I would see this working is that Joe would just randomly send one of the candidates one story involveing one, or perhaps more than one, of the other candidates, then it woudl go back and forth like that through the race.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #319 on: September 19, 2006, 08:49:51 PM »

BTW... Joe, are you going to be taking into account the effects of open vs closed primaries?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #320 on: September 19, 2006, 08:52:37 PM »

So... when do we get to do all the fun opposition research and scandal stuff.  Smiley

I acctually do have an idea for this.  I think Joe could send us potentially damaging things on the other candidates, then we get to decide whether or not to use them.

Joe could then act as a kinda News Agency, judging the impact of the scandals, and whether they can be easily refuted or not.

P.S.  How I would see this working is that Joe would just randomly send one of the candidates one story involveing one, or perhaps more than one, of the other candidates, then it woudl go back and forth like that through the race.

Not all candidates have scandals though... maybe offering incentives (say; doing better than would have otherwise in state x or state y) in exchange for being involved in one might work?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #321 on: September 19, 2006, 09:07:44 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2006, 09:14:24 PM by Supersoulty »

Not all candidates have scandals though... maybe offering incentives (say; doing better than would have otherwise in state x or state y) in exchange for being involved in one might work?

They don't have to be huge scandals, or even real ones.  Every politician can, at the very least, have their record distorted to appear a certain way.

That is one problem with this simulator... no one has a real record that any of us can go back to and say "ah-ha".

P.S.  But, shoudl Joe decide, he could give one person in each party a very serious scandal (think affair).

P.P.S.  And I am aware that this could be a "be careful what you wish for," kinda thing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #322 on: September 19, 2006, 09:14:08 PM »

They don't have to be huge scandals, or even real ones.  Every politician can, at the very least, have their record manipulated to appear a certain way.

I suppose so, but that tends to be more something that is of interest to sad, political/election obsessives like us than normal people Smiley

Could be fun; but only if the candidates in question agreed to it. They could get rewarded if they keep it under wraps or minimize the damage or something.
A big gamble maybe.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #323 on: September 19, 2006, 09:25:13 PM »

They don't have to be huge scandals, or even real ones.  Every politician can, at the very least, have their record manipulated to appear a certain way.

I suppose so, but that tends to be more something that is of interest to sad, political/election obsessives like us than normal people Smiley

Could be fun; but only if the candidates in question agreed to it. They could get rewarded if they keep it under wraps or minimize the damage or something.
A big gamble maybe.

Well, the idea is that Joe would hold control over the process.  If the candidate being scandaled handles it well, it could be potentially negative for the campaign the leak is "tracked to".  If they don't handle it well, it could cripple them.

I just think it woudl make the game more realistic.

Another way that  I coudl see doing this is that each candidate recieves a candidate brief on two of the other candidates in the race.  The brief woudl include all the major points of what each candidate specifically did in office (a list of seven or so different actions, bills, elections, etc) and this would be based off that candidates speaches, backgrounds, and issue possitions.

The candidate would recieve their own file as well.

These files woudl contain information that could be potnetially damaging, such as Candidate A ran an extremely negative campaign in 1998.  Or Candidate B supports this possition, but he voted against a bill that would seem to support that same possition.  Or something personal, like Rev. Al had an affair from 1989-95 with a parisoner.  Or Chris Soult's wife has been sued for malpractice.

Just something like that would really add to the fun and realism.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #324 on: September 19, 2006, 10:14:09 PM »

I'll be riding this momentum to the white house!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies