AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:28:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST)  (Read 133229 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« on: September 03, 2006, 10:29:16 PM »
« edited: September 04, 2006, 08:40:41 PM by Akno21 »

Name: Alexander Bernstein
Party: Democratic

Where do you stand on the following issues?
  • Abortion [Support ]
  • Affirmative Action [Oppose]
  • Gay Rights [Support ]
  • Death Penalty [Oppose]
  • War on Drugs [Oppose]
  • Gun control [Neutral ]
  • School Vouchers [Oppose]
  • Promote abstinence over sex education [Oppose]
  • Measures to reduce global warming [Support ]
  • ANWR Drilling [Oppose]
  • Seek UN approval for military action [Support ]
  • Iraq War was a mistake [Support ]
  • More Spending on Armed Forces [Oppose]
  • Domestic surveillance (e.g. wiretapping) [Oppose]
  • Support and Expand Free Trade [Neutral]
  • More Federal Funding For Healthcare [Support  ]
  • Privatize Social Security [ Oppose]
  • Encourage Immigration [ Neutral ]
  • Raise the Minimum Wage [Support]
  • Decrease taxation of the rich [Oppose]
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 07:24:18 PM »

Option 2, medium both
I'll pick my office
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 05:23:01 PM »

Alexander Bernstein, is the current Secretary of State. Bernstein plans to take the diplomatic skills and ability to both work with others and take the lead that he has utilized as Secretary. Bernstein rose up quickly through the ranks of the State Department and had been a deputy for four years prior to his appointment. While viewed as quite liberal on many issues, Bernstein has been able to separate his political views from getting the job done while heading the State Department. Bernstein was educated at Cornell University, but moved back to Kansas before starting in Washington at the State Department.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 09:17:45 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2006, 03:20:15 PM by Akno21 »

I'd like a Level 3 campaign organization.

Fundraising - 350 hours
Campaigning - 850 hours

Can I add to this at any point before the Iowa caucus?

I'll take 2 speeches and one ad at 750k.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 04:43:48 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2006, 04:48:23 PM by Akno21 »

Speech #1, on Education

Education is a vital priority for me. Without a solid educational system, our country cannot grow and expand upon what we have. Right now, we are at an important point. There is a huge disparity in our schools between the haves and the have-nots. If you are not well-off, it is hard for your child to receive a quality education. That is not the America I know. Therefore, if you send me to the White House, I will propose to congress legislation to focus our education efforts where they need to be, on the schools that need help. We don’t need to reward the wealthy and successful; we need to ensure equal opportunity for all children in the United States.

Oh, and can I have an additional 100 hours of campaigning?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 10:08:38 PM »

Ad (750k)

Alexander Bernstein has a record of service to this country. During his term as Secretary of State,

*Picture of Bernstein shaking hands with formally dressed men and women

He developed working relationships with representatives from all over the world.

*Picture of Bernstein with Middle Eastern leaders

He presided over some of the most successful Israeli-Palestinian peace talks in history.

*Picture of Bernstein with North Korean leaders

He worked out a deal with North Korea regarding its nuclear program

*Picture of Bernstein at Congress

He operated in a bi-partisan manner with support from both parties.

Cut to Bernstein standing in front of State Fair

As the partisan bickering in Washington grows greater every day, the need for a leader who can reach across party lines and get things done becomes ever clearer. I've brought people together across the world, and I can do it here at home too.

I'm Alexander Bernstein, and I approve this message.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 05:32:28 AM »

I'm very pleased with my performance in the Iowa Caucus and would like to thank my supporters and volunteers for their efforts. Congratulations to Gov. Mabus on his win.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 09:37:57 PM »

Joe, how much time do we have? Is it 60 hours plus leftover Iowa time, just 60 hours, or something completely different?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 05:37:44 PM »

Ok.

425 hours general campaigning
100 hours fundraising
Level 3 Organization
2 Speeches (posted later)
2 of the most expensive ads (posted later)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 03:54:32 PM »

I'll have everything up by 9 tonight...is that too late?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 08:07:51 PM »

Speech on the Environment

The United States has taken the lead on global issues in the past, whether it be space exploration, the fight against disease, or any number of issues. However, we are lagging behind in the environmental protection battle. There is no reason why only California should be implementing tough fuel emissions standards. There is no reason not for this to be a federal issue. Every state, not just California, should be better off environmentally, and our whole country should not be falling behind other countries when it to comes protecting the environment, especially considering we are its worst polluters. Were I to become President, I would submit the Kyoto Protocol to the Senate and do all I could to ensure ratification. Were I President, I would not have anyone in my administration who fudged EPA reports. I would promote policies that provide incentives to both businesses and consumers to develop and use environmentally friendly cars. I would put the environment, the world we live in, above the interests above rich businessmen who care only about their own bottom line. It is time that we take the lead on a problem we helped create.

Speech on Afghanistan

While often overlooked because of the War in Iraq, the battle for Afghanistan is ongoing and just as crucial to our success in the War on Terrorism. Just because we have seven times more troops in Iraq does not mean that it is seven times more important. In Afghanistan, the Hamid Karzai government has focused mostly on attempts to secure Kabul, but the rest of the country, particularly in the South and East regions, has fallen back to the Taliban insurgency. To make matters worse, Kabul itself has been the site of several attacks in recent months, and Karzai questioned the merits of the coalition strategy, calling for a reassessment. Karzai is right. We did not finish the job we started in Afghanistan. If we do not act soon, the Taliban will recover even more of what we took from them, and our sacrifice will have been for naught. There is more to the War on Terror than just Iraq. If we are to win it, we cannot be bogged down in one country, we must spread around our resources so that we can prevent terrorism all over the world, and not just in one country.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 08:25:37 PM »

Level 3 Ad #1, (It's the same one I used in Iowa):

Alexander Bernstein has a record of service to this country. During his term as Secretary of State,

*Picture of Bernstein shaking hands with formally dressed men and women

He developed working relationships with representatives from all over the world.

*Picture of Bernstein with Middle Eastern leaders

He presided over some of the most successful Israeli-Palestinian peace talks in history.

*Picture of Bernstein with North Korean leaders

He worked out a deal with North Korea regarding its nuclear program

*Picture of Bernstein at Congress

He operated in a bi-partisan manner with support from both parties.

Cut to Bernstein standing in front of State Fair

As the partisan bickering in Washington grows greater every day, the need for a leader who can reach across party lines and get things done becomes ever clearer. I've brought people together across the world, and I can do it here at home too.

I'm Alexander Bernstein, and I approve this message.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 09:18:13 PM »

Level 3 Ad #2:

Nearly $380 million spent on Iraq...
American soliders in battle

Billions of dollars for border security...
Picture of large port

New education and health care spending bills recently passed...
Image of senate vote

An $8.5 trillion government debt...
Scene of money piling up, eventually filling the entire screen

A large budget deficit...
Entire screen turns red

And our elections have become about who promises the biggest tax cut?

Cut to Bernstein in his office
It is one thing to provide tax relief for the lower and middle classes, but now is not the time for huge tax cuts for those in the upper percentiles of earnings. If we want to leave an economically stable nation for our kids and grandkids, we have to be economically responsible now.

I'm Alexander Bernstein, and I will put fiscal responsibility ahead of politics.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 09:56:50 AM »

I'm going to have to drop out. I just haven't had the time to write speeches, ads, debate responses and the like. However, thanks for setting up the game, Joe. It's pretty nice.

The fact that we actually have to write them really detracts from the game.

1)It takes a serious tame that most people don't have

2)It is very unrealistic since candidates of course don't write their own speeches and especially don't write their own ads

No it doesn't. It's really not that much writing. Speeches should be no more than a paragraph, ads less than that. We aren't writing essays here.

If we could just say, "3 ads", it would be very unrealistic, because it would assume that all ads are equal, which they are not. The way Joe is running it, quality of what you put out matters, and that's the way it should be.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 08:41:27 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2006, 07:27:23 PM by Akno21 »

Arizona

Level 2 Organization: $1.6m
Level 2 Ad (Fiscal Responsibility): $800k

15 hours general campaigning
3 speeches: Environment, Alternative Energy, Afghanistan

Delaware

Level 1 Organization: $100k

2 speeches: Environment, Alternative Energy

Missouri

Level 2 Organization: $1.8m
Level 2 Ad (Minimum Wage): $900k

3 speeches: Organized Labor, Alternative Energy, Afghanistan

North Dakota

Level 1 Organization: $100k

2 speeches: Alternative Energy, Afghanistan

Oklahoma

Level 1 Organization: $500k
Level 1 Ad (Fiscal Responsibility): $250k

2 speeches: Organized Labor, Afghanistan

South Carolina

Level 1 Organization: $600k
Level 1 Ad (Fiscal Responsbility): $300k

2 speeches: Alternative Energy, Afghanistan

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 08:44:16 PM »

Ad: Fiscal Responsibility

Nearly $380 million spent on Iraq...
American soliders in battle

Billions of dollars for border security...
Picture of large port

New education and health care spending bills recently passed...
Image of senate vote

An $8.5 trillion government debt...
Scene of money piling up, eventually filling the entire screen

A large budget deficit...
Entire screen turns red

And our elections have become about who promises the biggest tax cut?

It is one thing to provide tax relief for the lower and middle classes, but now is not the time for huge tax cuts for those in the upper percentiles of earnings. If we want to leave an economically stable nation for our kids and grandkids, we have to be economically responsible now.

I'm Alexander Bernstein, and I will put fiscal responsibility ahead of politics.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 09:09:39 PM »

Ad: Minimum Wage

The federal minimum wage has not been increased since 1997, the longest time peroid without an increase in over half a century.
Calendar flipping

During that time period, the value of the minimum wage has fallen by almost a dollar.
Downward line on a graph

To me, it is unacceptable that the federal government has not increased the minimum wage. Hard-working Americans nationwide can tell you that $5.15 is not enough. Every day, congressional inaction is hurting Americans who need help.
Image of a drab senate hearing, then switch to video of workers in plant

As President, I will put pressure on Congress to take action on this vital issue, and raise the minimum wage to at least $7.00. We have waited too long, but it's not too late to make a difference.

I'm Alexander Bernstein, and I will fight for all Americans.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 07:02:37 PM »

Speech on Organized Labor (For use in MO, OK)

I stand here before you as a supporter of labor and the worker, staunchly opposed to right-to-work laws. Right-to-work laws only hurt the workers they are intended to “free”. They have a terribly damaging effect on unions, cutting down on their power and then hurting everyone in the workplace because there is no strong counterbalance to tight-fisted business owners. Furthermore, studies have shown that workplace safety is less in right-to-work states and that wages are an average of 6.5% less than those in states without the right-to-work law. I am opposed to the right-to-work law, but I am pro worker’s rights. Pro a worker’s right to an effective union. Pro better wages. Pro a safer workplace environment. Right-to-work laws don’t help workers, they help owners. As President, I will stand firmly behind you, the working man, and do all I can to help you economically. People can talk all they want about the decline of organized labor, but the issues that we need to fight for as everyday Americans are as pertinent as ever.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 09:27:39 PM »

Forgot to post a post New Hampshire speech.

I would like to thank all my supporters and volunteers. Without their hard work, there is no way that we could have achieved this positive result. And a special thank you to all the voters in New Hampshire, for having faith in me. Now it is time to keep going; we cannot rest on our laurels, we must go forward and keep on working hard. 2 states down, many more to go. 
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 07:11:46 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2006, 07:28:18 PM by Akno21 »

Speech on the Environment (For use in Arizona, Delaware)

The United States has taken the lead on global issues in the past, whether it be space exploration, the fight against disease, or any number of issues. However, we are lagging behind in the environmental protection battle. There is no reason why only California should be implementing tough fuel emissions standards. There is no reason not for this to be a federal issue. Every state, not just California, should be better off environmentally, and our whole country should not be falling behind other countries when it to comes protecting the environment, especially considering we are its worst polluters. Were I to become President, I would submit the Kyoto Protocol to the Senate and do all I could to ensure ratification. Were I President, I would not have anyone in my administration who fudged EPA reports. I would promote policies that provide incentives to both businesses and consumers to develop and use environmentally friendly cars. I would put the environment, the world we live in, above the interests above rich businessmen who care only about their own bottom line. It is time that we take the lead on a problem we helped create.

I'd like to change campaign time in all states except for NM (which remains at 0) to 15 hours.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 07:23:12 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2006, 07:25:06 PM by Akno21 »

Speech on Alternative Energy (For use in Arizona, Delaware, Missouri, North Dakota, South Carolina)

American ingenuity has gotten us to where we are today. However, that does not mean that we can stop, pleased with our results, and not look forward. We cannot keep our dependence on oil forever, at some point, we will have to find alternative energy sources or our economy will be in serious trouble. There are several steps that must be taken to address this problem. First of all, the government must make a sizable commitment to finding alternative energy sources. Get the best scienists out there and on the job. Give major corporations incentives to find new solutions. Secondly, we need to lessen our reliance on oil. That means improving public transportation so it can be utilized by more people. That means incentives to companies to develop cars that need less oil or can run on energy other than fuel. Sadly, these companies aren't going to do it alone. And finally, we need leaders who aren't beholden to the interests of gas companies and who will act in the best interests of America. If that means hauling oil executives before Congress and forcing them to testify under oath, I am all for it. As President, I will make advancing the United States to a new era in fuel a centerpiece of my administration. We cannot go on like this, and it's about time someone took a stand on this vitally important issue.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 07:24:50 PM »

Speech on Afghanistan (For use in Arizona, Missouri, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina)

While often overlooked because of the War in Iraq, the battle for Afghanistan is ongoing and just as crucial to our success in the War on Terrorism. Just because we have seven times more troops in Iraq does not mean that it is seven times more important. In Afghanistan, the Hamid Karzai government has focused mostly on attempts to secure Kabul, but the rest of the country, particularly in the South and East regions, has fallen back to the Taliban insurgency. To make matters worse, Kabul itself has been the site of several attacks in recent months, and Karzai questioned the merits of the coalition strategy, calling for a reassessment. Karzai is right. We did not finish the job we started in Afghanistan. If we do not act soon, the Taliban will recover even more of what we took from them, and our sacrifice will have been for naught. There is more to the War on Terror than just Iraq. If we are to win it, we cannot be bogged down in one country, we must spread around our resources so that we can prevent terrorism all over the world, and not just in one country.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 05:56:25 PM »

I'm waiting for the post election analysis before I decide to do anything at all.  I know it sounds kinda gutless, but I want to know what worked and whay didn't.

Same here, I won't post anything until I see the analysis.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 08:24:59 PM »

Does one need to establish campaign organization in order to run an ad?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2006, 10:33:20 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2006, 10:37:13 PM by Akno21 »

20 hours fundraising
Level 1 Ad in Michigan (Minimum Wage)

Ad: Minimum Wage

The federal minimum wage has not been increased since 1997, the longest time peroid without an increase in over half a century.
Calendar flipping

During that time period, the value of the minimum wage has fallen by almost a dollar.
Downward line on a graph

To me, it is unacceptable that the federal government has not increased the minimum wage. Hard-working Americans nationwide can tell you that $5.15 is not enough. Every day, congressional inaction is hurting Americans who need help.
Image of a drab senate hearing, then switch to video of workers in plant

As President, I will put pressure on Congress to take action on this vital issue, and raise the minimum wage to at least $7.00. We have waited too long, but it's not too late to make a difference.

I'm Alexander Bernstein, and I will fight for all Americans.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies