Get to Know Your Country NEW JERSEY!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:29:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Get to Know Your Country NEW JERSEY!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Get to Know Your Country NEW JERSEY!  (Read 14256 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2007, 09:52:52 PM »
« edited: May 20, 2007, 09:59:43 PM by Verily »

What is the point of NJ's existence? Suburbia for one state and extention of countryside for another....might as well be merged into NY and PA.

I for one wouldn't object to a division and annexation of New Jersey by New York and Pennsylvania.

So instead of having 5 dem senators (and eventually 6), you'd rather have only  only 4? If anything PA is the lesser of the 3 states in terms of being worth anything.

Does everything have to be for partisan advantage?

Personally I think that is a pretty good idea. By the way here in Washington everyone seems to think that New Jersey is just an endless expanse of Suberbia, is this true?

Not really, despite what Conan seems to think, and certainly not suburbia in the type you get on the West Coast consisting entirely of new developments from within the past two decades.

Parts of New Jersey are extremely urban: Hudson County belongs in New York City, and inner (as in, closer to NYC) Essex and Union Counties are also urban. The cities of Clifton, Passaic and Paterson make another urban area in the southern lobe of Passaic County.

Where I live, Bergen County, and in Middlesex, Monmouth and outer Passaic, Union and Essex Counties, the areas are mostly suburban, but old-growth suburban, consisting of houses built mostly in the 1930s and 40s.

Somerset, Sussex and Monmouth Counties are mostly new-growth suburban, consisting of houses built mostly in the 1970s and 80s.

Hunterdon and Warren Counties are mostly rural, though southern Hunterdon County starts to be suburban. Their primary industry is horse ranching.

Along the coast, Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic and Cape May Counties are solid resort towns the entire length with farms inland (except in Monmouth, which is being absorbed into the NYC metro). Atlantic City is an isolated incident in Atlantic County, and it's really not very big.

Inner Mercer County, aka Trenton, is urban, though it's not a really big city. Outer Mercer County along with Burlington County along the Delaware River is suburban. Inner Camden County is urban around Camden and suburban to rural in the interior. Gloucester County is suburban. Salem and Cumberland Counties are entirely rural and small, poor towns.

Here's a map that approximates what is where in NJ. Red is urban, yellow is suburban, blue is rural, and green is touristy coast.

Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2007, 10:00:35 PM »

What makes Touristy coast different from suburbia/urban? Enlighten me plz.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2007, 02:27:35 PM »

Around half of the property is second homes. The area industry is essentially dormant and almost rural during the winter and entirely focused on the beaches during the summer.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2007, 02:37:16 PM »

Around half of the property is second homes. The area industry is essentially dormant and almost rural during the winter and entirely focused on the beaches during the summer.
Ah now I see
Conan
conan

« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2007, 09:11:39 PM »

What is the point of NJ's existence? Suburbia for one state and extention of countryside for another....might as well be merged into NY and PA.

I for one wouldn't object to a division and annexation of New Jersey by New York and Pennsylvania.

So instead of having 5 dem senators (and eventually 6), you'd rather have only  only 4? If anything PA is the lesser of the 3 states in terms of being worth anything.

Does everything have to be for partisan advantage?

Personally I think that is a pretty good idea. By the way here in Washington everyone seems to think that New Jersey is just an endless expanse of Suberbia, is this true?

Not really, despite what Conan seems to think, and certainly not suburbia in the type you get on the West Coast consisting entirely of new developments from within the past two decades.

Parts of New Jersey are extremely urban: Hudson County belongs in New York City, and inner (as in, closer to NYC) Essex and Union Counties are also urban. The cities of Clifton, Passaic and Paterson make another urban area in the southern lobe of Passaic County.

Where I live, Bergen County, and in Middlesex, Monmouth and outer Passaic, Union and Essex Counties, the areas are mostly suburban, but old-growth suburban, consisting of houses built mostly in the 1930s and 40s.

Somerset, Sussex and Monmouth Counties are mostly new-growth suburban, consisting of houses built mostly in the 1970s and 80s.

Hunterdon and Warren Counties are mostly rural, though southern Hunterdon County starts to be suburban. Their primary industry is horse ranching.

Along the coast, Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic and Cape May Counties are solid resort towns the entire length with farms inland (except in Monmouth, which is being absorbed into the NYC metro). Atlantic City is an isolated incident in Atlantic County, and it's really not very big.

Inner Mercer County, aka Trenton, is urban, though it's not a really big city. Outer Mercer County along with Burlington County along the Delaware River is suburban. Inner Camden County is urban around Camden and suburban to rural in the interior. Gloucester County is suburban. Salem and Cumberland Counties are entirely rural and small, poor towns.

Here's a map that approximates what is where in NJ. Red is urban, yellow is suburban, blue is rural, and green is touristy coast.

What part of the US Census classification that all of our counties are at least suburban don't you get. It's not what I seem to think, it's the information out there. I talked about the multiple farms too and didn't need to mention places like Newark, Hudson, and Camden are urban. NJ is just an expanse of suburbia. It doesnt matter when homes were built..suburbia is suburbia.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2007, 09:35:27 PM »

What part of the US Census classification that all of our counties are at least suburban don't you get. It's not what I seem to think, it's the information out there. I talked about the multiple farms too and didn't need to mention places like Newark, Hudson, and Camden are urban. NJ is just an expanse of suburbia. It doesnt matter when homes were built..suburbia is suburbia.

The definition of suburbia used by the Census bureau is absurdly broad. Have someone from outside New Jersey visit Cumberland County and then have them say with a straight face that Cumberland County is suburban. You won't be able to do it, and the same is true for Warren County, and for Ocean, Atlantic and Cape May Counties away from the coast.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2007, 11:00:27 PM »

Also to make your state better you could just add mountains it worked for us (and not little hills like the Appalachians, but real, meaty mountains like the Rockies, Cascades or Sierra Nevadas)
Yes we are just a continuous piece of suburbia. We do have the pine barrens which is huge and protected though. And there are also plenty of farms such as in the northeast and tons of cornfields throughout the state but according to the US Census, we are a big blob of suburbia.

Some mountains in North Carolina (Appalachian) are pretty huge.

well, Mount Mitchell is the tallest at 6,684 ft, not too bad. I cant really call it "huge" or a true mountain simply because you can nearly drive the entire way up the hill, also I like to think of it as a mountain only if it is a truly dramatic rise (like a 4,000 ft rise next to the sea could be a mountain but a 1000 ft rise on a 4,000 ft plateu doesnt quite cut it). I love one of the captions to one of the pictures: "Looking west from the parking lot atop the summit."
Conan
conan

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2007, 01:01:13 AM »

The definition of suburbia used by the Census bureau is absurdly broad. Have someone from outside New Jersey visit Cumberland County and then have them say with a straight face that Cumberland County is suburban. You won't be able to do it, and the same is true for Warren County, and for Ocean, Atlantic and Cape May Counties away from the coast.
You must not travel out of state much. In the rest of the states, you can see what rural really is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies