Get to Know Your Country NEW JERSEY! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:33:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Get to Know Your Country NEW JERSEY! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Get to Know Your Country NEW JERSEY!  (Read 14335 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: September 04, 2006, 12:18:12 AM »

Is it true the state motto is, "The armpit of America"?
I will not be low enough to make fun of West Virginia. New Jerseyans have great pride and class.
Is it true you swim to school through rivers of toxic waste?

Do you guys still plant medical waste on Long Island beaches to make your seem more attractive by comparison?

Tongue

(Note: I am from Long Island originally.)
NJ has a big chemical industry. However toxic waste sites have been cleaned up or are being cleaned up (these arent only common to NJ). I have never come into contact with anything toxic or condemned. I love Long Island too. We go out there all the time.

Don't tell me the LI-NJ rivalry is dying?  They used to compete heavily for summer tourism $$$.

the Hamptons are the Hamptons.  the End Smiley.  Seriously though its not what it was and both Long Islanders and new jersians enjoy each others beaches, though nothing in Jersey tops the Hamptons.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 01:12:11 AM »

Of course it's all in jest, no one could seriously doubt the perfection that is New Jersey. Wink  And Bergen County is far from the best in the state.  I reccomend Morris.  Our entire state is a metropolitan area.  Our crapholes give us character.  Nowhere on earth will you find something as indescribable as Camden.  We like to consider our politicians...a variety.
I stay away from Camden, haha. That's too bad. Bergen County is mixed. Some of the most affluent towns are there including Saddle River and Alpine. Saddle River is where Nixon retired to. I want to move to Bergen, its way better then Sussex and much more convenient.

Camden isn't as scary as it seems.  You just can't stop your car within the city.  I really hate to toot my own horn, but the Somerset Hills (Bernardsville, Bedminster, Bernards Twp., Far Hills, and Peapack-Gladstone) are far superior to all else.  We are arguably the most affluent grouping of towns in the country.  And we're VERY conveniently located in relation to the city and Pennsylvania.
Saddle River, Upper Saddle River, Alpine, HoHoKus, Franklin Lakes, and Ridgewood could take them anyday! And we have the better city, NYC!

Spealing about some very nice areas, check out the noth shore of Nassau County

Matinecock, brookville, Old Brookville, Centre Island, Muttontown, Laurel Hollow, Oyster Bay Cove, Plandome, Cove Neck and this little place called Sands Point
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 10:20:27 PM »

I'm from Central Islip.

Yeah, the Haptons pretty much are LI's trump card.  Oh, and Fire Island, until it disappears under the waves.

TOWN (ZIP CODE) / MEDIAN HOME PRICE
WATER MILL, N.Y. (11976) / $1.58 million
MANTOLOKING, N.J. (08738) / $1.33 million

No other Hamptons towns even made it close.  You are fast losing your grip on extremely over-priced yet lovely beach getaways.  And I must say, Mantoloking is quite a high-class, up and coming town.  Rin-chan owns a house down there that I went to visit with her, and it was perfect.  I can't imagine the Hamptons being any better.

The Hamptons suck.  My uncle used to live there.  There are only like one or two towns that are kinda nice, but nowhere near Mantoloking.

Oh, and wannt know why Mantoloking is so spiffy?  No school in town.  That makes for less money wasted on taxes.

Rin-chan

The Hamptons are really nice with the beaches, some very immaculate homes right on the water.   Some of the nicest areas on Long Island are along the north shore in Nassau County (known as the "Gold Coast".  Not enough sales data in some of these areas (as many of them are small towns) to make the Forbes Most expesinve List, but the median price in areas like Sands Point, Old Brookville, Matinecock, Muttontown, Centre Island, Locust Valley, etc.  I remember seeing something years ago (97 maybe) that the median home in Matinecock was $1.6 million (and this was BEFORE the real estate boom in which prices here have more than doubled since 2000) Sands Point is just absolutley nuts and the median price has to be in the several million range as well.   Many of these areas were listed as $1 million+ in the 2000 census (the highest that data goes up to.  And as I sid average prices here have more than doubled since then, and that $1 million + in the census, was well over $1million, and that is seven year old data (its absed off 99 figures)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies