NPAT Test: National Security and Terrorism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:51:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  NPAT Test: National Security and Terrorism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Indicate which principles you support regarding national security:
Use military tribunals to try suspected terrorists when ordinary civilian courts are deemed inappropriate or impractical

Grant law enforcement agencies greater discretion to read mail and e-mail, tap phones, and conduct random searches to prevent future terrorist attacks

Hold foreign states accountable for terrorists who operate in their country

Increase funding to states and cities for homeland security

Prohibit the use of torture or other cruel, inhuman, or degrading punishment of prisoners in U.S. custody

Pre-emptive military strikes against countries deemed to be a threat to U.S. national security

Other (please elaborate)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: NPAT Test: National Security and Terrorism  (Read 4710 times)
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 02:40:11 PM »

Bring EVERY American soldier home from around the world. 
Let there be strong militias at the state and local level. 
Decentralise the military, but still have a small federal force.

If all American troops were brought home, maybe people around the world would not feel much animosity towards the United States.  Other than those three things I support absolutely nothing regarding this.  There would be no need for banning torture if these became policy.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 03:28:09 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2007, 03:40:50 PM by Frodo »

If all American troops were brought home, maybe people around the world would not feel much animosity towards the United States. 

They feel animosity toward us because of the fact that we are 'number one', the sole remaining superpower, and there is a not damn thing we can do to change that.  It comes with the territory.  We might as well get used to it.   
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 06:22:49 PM »

Option 5.  The others are ridiculous.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 03:54:54 PM »

I don't think throwing money at all problems necessarily fixes them, and I think we have too big a budget deficit to begin with, so I'm against #4.  And I don't support torture or pre-emptive wars, so I'm against those.  Also, I think once we admit that military tribunals (in which the burden of proof lies with the defense, rather than the prosecution as in civilian criminal courts), then we have admitted defeat.  If the terrorists' actions cause us not only to devalue our constitutional liberties, but also to stop having the courtesy of extending them to non-citizens, then the terrorists will have won.  So I voted against #1 as well.

I do think we can put pressure on other governments, as in fact we already do.  But we could do more in that regard.  And I think a guarantee that we won't resort to torture gives us the sort of moral high ground which could be used to build goodwill.  I also think we could take proactive measures in impoverished areas like Sudan to make it harder to recruit frustrated, poor people in the first place.  And bowls of rice are certainly cheaper than the guns, uniforms, and funerals for US soldiers that we end up paying for anyway with our tax dollars.  So it makes economic sense, so I voted for the third and fifth options. 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 10:16:51 PM »

1, 2, 3, 4 and 6
Mesu
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 12:28:22 AM »

option #5
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 06:02:10 PM »

Bring the troops home from Iraq and use them to secure our borders.
Deport all illegal aliens
Deport anyone who overstays their visa.
Don't allow people from hostile  countries into the US except when there are extremely compelling reasons.
Develop and implement a missile defense system capable of stopping at least a small attack. ( I think this already exists. )
Monitor mosques in the US. Deport or prosecute anyone  promoting violence against the US.
Tighten screening at ports to reduce the risk of WMDs being shipped in.

Change our foreign policy so that we are not doing things to deliberately antagonize others. Bring most of our troops home from foreign countries.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I voted for 3, 4 and 5 btw. Though I'd like more detail on 3 and 4. Especially does #3 refer to cases like Pakistan where the goverment funds Madrassa schools or cases like Germany where many of the 9\11 highjackers were based (and there was a recent foiled terrorist plot or so it seemed...) or both.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 07:31:47 PM »

Why don't you support prohibiting torture?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 07:59:48 PM »

I don't know, why do you want the terrorists to win?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 10:59:41 AM »

Don't allow people from hostile  countries into the US except when there are extremely compelling reasons.
Develop and implement a missile defense system capable of stopping at least a small attack. ( I think this already exists. )
Monitor mosques in the US. Deport or prosecute anyone  promoting violence against the US.

Change our foreign policy so that we are not doing things to deliberately antagonize others. Bring most of our troops home from foreign countries.

If you're being serious then tell me which of my comments you disagree with and why.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 04:09:21 PM »

If you're being serious then tell me which of my comments you disagree with and why.

Well for start you seem to favour 'libertarianism' if it happens to involve US citizens - not that THAT is particularly surprising, after all your of the ideology which believes that Teachers should own guns in classrooms and warns to scrap antitrust laws.

As for your points, apart from the fact that all of them seem to dramatically increase the size of goverment, there are much greater concerns:

1) Bring the troops Home - and leave Iraq in chaos where warlords and Iranian-sympathetic regimes will take over? Surely that would increase the chances of a terrorist attack, no? Yes it was a mistake to invade Iraq but that's 2003 now. As for your borders, protect them from what exactly? Mexicans?

2) And this will help fight terrorism... how? (See #3)

3) How Authoritian of you. You do realize that the vast majority of immigrants just work (mainly in sh**t jobs, which many Americans with so-called social ambition would put way below their station) and are no threat at all to the United States?

4) Define 'hostile countries' - Is Iraq a hostile country? Or Saudi Arabia? Or Great Britain or Germany as there have been terrorist cells located there? Specify what and how this will be achieved.

5) A small attack from what? Anyway it's unlikely there will be a terrorist attack from a missile. Next again they'll go for the spectacular again. Something that can be caught on TV. It's where they get some of their power from.

6) See "You're a pretty fascist libertarian" - Though under these laws Pat Robertson should be deported, no? Or does this law only apply to brown people, like the great Mexican menace?

7) Nothing against that. But how?

8 ) Sadly it's too late at this stage, all America can now is sand over some of the festering wounds.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »

I'm still lol'ing at mandatory monitoring of all mosques.
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2007, 11:42:26 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2007, 11:44:42 PM by Volksliberalist »

If all American troops were brought home, maybe people around the world would not feel much animosity towards the United States. 

They feel animosity toward us because of the fact that we are 'number one', the sole remaining superpower, and there is a not damn thing we can do to change that.  It comes with the territory.  We might as well get used to it.   

The United States seems like number one because of all of this damn intervention around the world.  If the federal government adopted a foreign policy like many European nations, that would change.  None of these terrorist groups try much at all in Europe, especially France and Italy of the large countries.  Why is Russia not a superpower any longer?  They don't interfere with other countries' affairs anywhere near as much.  The Soviet economy was not even close to the best of the eastern bloc nations; but it still had the military might, which made it the superpower.  The best economy of those was East Germany.  The USA could still be an economic power, like Japan, and still not have people coming over here to attack.  How many troops does Japan have in other nations? or France?  The main reason that so many South Koreans hate the United States is the 37,000 American troops stationed there.  Superpower is another word for empire.

To everyone reading this thread: most of the terrorists are not who you think they are.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »

The United States seems like number one because of all of this damn intervention around the world.  If the federal government adopted a foreign policy like many European nations, that would change.  None of these terrorist groups try much at all in Europe, especially France and Italy of the large countries.  Why is Russia not a superpower any longer?  They don't interfere with other countries' affairs anywhere near as much.  The Soviet economy was not even close to the best of the eastern bloc nations; but it still had the military might, which made it the superpower.  The best economy of those was East Germany.  The USA could still be an economic power, like Japan, and still not have people coming over here to attack.  How many troops does Japan have in other nations? or France?  The main reason that so many South Koreans hate the United States is the 37,000 American troops stationed there.  Superpower is another word for empire.

To everyone reading this thread: most of the terrorists are not who you think they are.

While there is some truth to the Bold bit, the rest of the post made me LOL.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2007, 05:51:54 PM by Begaj'ho Bag'dasarian »

3 4 5 - Don't get mad- get even, but don't do anything wierd, distasteful or counter-productive.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies