Breaking News: Harold Ford within 1% of Corker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:15:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Breaking News: Harold Ford within 1% of Corker
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who has a better chance of winning in 2006?
Harold Ford

Claire McCaskill

Both will win.

Neither will win.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Breaking News: Harold Ford within 1% of Corker  (Read 4148 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2006, 11:30:02 PM »

Corker's lead has gone from 12% to 6% to 1%. Looks like the smear campaign is working.

Here's my source:
http://haroldfordjr2006.blogspot.com/2006/09/breaking-new-rasmussen-poll-will-have.html

This blogger has previously scooped other news agencies about Tennessee polls.  This is insider info that will be released to the public  very soon.

The big question is who has a better shot of winning, Claire McCaskill or Harold Ford. I say it's now Ford.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 11:35:24 PM »

Corker will win easily. Ford is on the rise but within 1%? No. Corker will win by at least ten but I can't say that I'd be devestated if he somehow blew this (I still wouldn't want Ford getting this. He, like Corker, annoys me but in a different way.)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 11:38:23 PM »

Corker will win easily. Ford is on the rise but within 1%? No. Corker will win by at least ten but I can't say that I'd be devestated if he somehow blew this (I still wouldn't want Ford getting this. He, like Corker, annoys me but in a different way.)

Corker will probably win, but I highly doubt at least 10,  5-8 points is most likely/
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 11:53:52 PM »

Corker will probably win, but I highly doubt at least 10,  5-8 points is most likely/

What about Ford's "Big Mo." I believe the dynamics of this race have changed. Suddenly, the Republican is on the run for his ethics violations, his gross ineptitude as Mayor of Chattanooga, his record of tax-hiking and his support of Big Oil.

This race is has gone from sleeper to highly competitive. Pundits are starting to wake up and realize that Corker's not a strong candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 12:01:20 AM »

Pundits are starting to wake up and realize that Corker's not a strong candidate.

I always believed we should have went with Bryant or even Hilleary over this RINO.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 12:03:21 AM »

Pundits are starting to wake up and realize that Corker's not a strong candidate.

I always believed we should have went with Bryant or even Hilleary over this RINO.

Would you support Ford over Corker if control of the Senate wasn't at stake?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 12:05:16 AM »

Would you support Ford over Corker if control of the Senate wasn't at stake?

Probably not. As I said, I am not happy with either candidate. I'd care that Corker lost if control was at stake but otherwise I just wouldn't care. That doesn't translate into support for Ford though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 12:15:29 AM »

I still have Corker winning, but I moved this to a toss up.

You go to admit Ford has a much better chance than orginally thought, based on two things:

1-Even in Tennessee Bush and the national GOP are quite unpopular
2-Corker is a lousy candidate

The GOP really blew it with the primary choice here. At least they might have to spend some extra money defending a seat they wouldn't otherwise.
Rococo4

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 12:18:07 AM »

Corker wouldnt have been my choice in TN, but he will still get at l;east 53%-54% of the vote and win.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 12:28:10 AM »

As I said, I am not happy with either candidate.

I'm in much the same position as you, although I actually like Ford. His conservative views aren't my cup of tea, but he'll be a Democratic vote in the Senate. It would also be great to see the first black Senator from the South since Reconstruction.

The GOP really blew it with the primary choice here. At least they might have to spend some extra money defending a seat they wouldn't otherwise.

I have to agree. A solid conservative like Bryant would have better rallied the GOP base, and Ford can actually run against Corker from the right on some issues (see the ads hitting him for being soft on national security). The allegations of ethical misconduct will also hurt the Republican candidate.

That said, I predict Corker to win with 52 or 53 percent of the vote.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 12:58:01 AM »

Tennessee, along with Kentucky, Mississippi, and South Carolina, is a southern state that is doing quite badly economically.  I think the only reason Ford has a chance is due to this economic woe-based anti-Bush anti-GOP feeling:

http://www.bls.gov/web/mstrtcr1.gif
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 01:15:58 AM »

According to www.electoral-vote.com the new Rasmussen poll will show "surprising" news in TN. And "surprising" to me means only a toss-up or Ford ahead.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 04:26:02 AM »

cringe
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 04:27:41 AM »

According to www.electoral-vote.com the new Rasmussen poll will show "surprising" news in TN. And "surprising" to me means only a toss-up or Ford ahead.

And we saw how reliable www.electoral-vote.com was last time.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 09:35:37 AM »

Quite surprising news.  The Ford campaign has been run quite well, given the fact that as a Democrat he is attacking Corker on Big Oil, National Security and Taxes.  I think predicting Corker to get 54% of the vote at least is laughable.  In 2002, in far stronger times for the GOP, Lamar Alexander still only won 54%-44%.

As has already been mentioned, Ford has successfully put Corker on the defensive and the DSCC has spent millions in Tennessee.  I haven't seen any Corker ads but the Ford ones I have seen seemed very effective.  I still think Corker should win but at least Ford is challenging him, quite successfully it seems. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 02:09:03 PM »

both of these candidates are quite good.  tennessee cant lose!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 02:16:23 PM »

This is breaking news, Democrats everywhere rejoycing that Harold Ford is within 1!

Those same Dems will tell you Bob Menendez is safe as can be.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 03:38:44 PM »

This is breaking news, Democrats everywhere rejoycing that Harold Ford is within 1!

You run around telling people Santorum is safe.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 03:39:48 PM »

Anyway of course McCaskill is more likely to win but its good to know Ford at least has a shot now. Go Ford!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 04:07:27 PM »

You run around telling people Santorum is safe.

Not safe, favored to win come Election Day.
jacob_101

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 05:09:25 PM »

Not only do I think Harold Ford Jr has a better chance to win, but he WILL win.  And I will be happy when he does.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 05:13:47 PM »

Not only do I think Harold Ford Jr has a better chance to win, but he WILL win.  And I will be happy when he does.

Thank you! It's good to see another Republican who hasn't fallen for Bob Corker's flip-flopping record.
jacob_101

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 05:18:57 PM »

Thank you! It's good to see another Republican who hasn't fallen for Bob Corker's flip-flopping record.

No I haven't fallen for it...I think he is a terrible candidate and Ford is a much better candidate.  He is one of 3 or 4 Democrats I would support.  The only problem I would have voting for him is if it meant that party control of the senate switching to the Democrats.  Even then I still might.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 05:49:03 PM »

NJ is generally a stronger Dem state than TN is a GOP state.

Neither state likes the current GOP President

NJ undecideds traditionally break towards the Dems.

Kean is an absolute horrible speaker and worse debator.  He got killed in the debate and will get killed in any more debates.  Meanwhile Ford is a tremendous speaker, very charismatic and a strong debator.

I'm not suggesting Ford will win, Corker is still ahead and the TN race leans his way.  We shouldn't make too much out of just one poll, it would however, be nice to see more polls.  However, Ford JR does have more factors that favor him than kean has of favoring him.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 05:49:30 PM »

No I haven't fallen for it...I think he is a terrible candidate and Ford is a much better candidate.  He is one of 3 or 4 Democrats I would support.  The only problem I would have voting for him is if it meant that party control of the senate switching to the Democrats.  Even then I still might.

Interesting. What other Democrats are you supporting?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies