Trouble in NJ senate race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:04:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Trouble in NJ senate race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trouble in NJ senate race  (Read 5184 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-8/1157696151222550.xml&coll=1
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 11:12:01 AM »

If the Dems don't win NJ their chances of a senate takeover is finished. Can you show me the link to the 11 point lead for Kean?
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 11:14:05 AM »

Gotta question Rassmussen's poll showing any Democrat running 11 down in NJ.  However, if true, when does Menendez get the phone call from Clinton "suggesting" that he drop out so the Dems can "replace" him on the ballot.  Don't laugh.  I didn't think they could do it with the Torch.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 11:16:07 AM »

Where is the link for the 11 pt lead.
Deano963

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 12:38:03 PM »

From The American Prospect:

NJ SEN: IF YOU SLING ENOUGH MUD, SOME WILL STICK.

If Democrats plan to take a majority in the Senate, holding onto Jersey's seat is all but absolutely necessary. Republicans, of course, understand this and the upstart campaign of State Senator Tom Kean, Jr. has been playing hard and dirty throughout the summer. From the moment he declared his candidacy, Kean, Jr. has hammered at incumbent Bob Menendez's ethics problems -- both real and imaginary. Now it appears that some of the mud is starting to stick.

The statewide Star-Ledger is reporting today that federal investigators are "looking into" the dealings between Menendez and the North Hudson Community Action Corp. Menendez apparently collected over $300,000 worth of rent over a nine-year period from the organization while also "help[ing] the agency win millions of dollars in federal funding."

The Menendez campaign smells a political rat in the timing, though. With the election two months away, any neutral observer would have to wonder why this issue would suddenly be investigated now -- especially since Menendez sold the house three years ago. The Ledger notes:

The senator said that before renting out the house in 1994, he obtained clearance from the House Ethics Committee, but did not get a written opinion. He said there was nothing improper about his actions because he never negotiated directly with agency officials and the organization paid slightly below-market rent.

It also notes that the rent collected by the new owner is approximately the same as what Menendez collected when he owned the building. So when you have an "issue" that was approved by the House Ethics Committee, is over three years old, no direct linkage between official actions and recipient, AND no history of price gouging or fixing -- well, it's difficult to see this actually going to a court for prosecution. But in politics, and particularly in a year where ethics has been hammered as an issue by all sides, it might not be necessary for Republicans to go to court to win in November.

adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 01:23:38 PM »

Kean is a moron, he'll probably screw it up.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 01:30:39 PM »

One thing Granholm and Menendez got going for them is money and will that help them overcome their negatives.
Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 02:02:42 PM »

It's actually politically motivated by US Attorney, Chris Cristy who was going to run for the republican nomination for senate himself. He's doing it to help Kean.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 02:11:30 PM »

It's actually politically motivated by US Attorney, Chris Cristy who was going to run for the republican nomination for senate himself. He's doing it to help Kean.

Conan, are you suggesting won't hurt Menendez?

Chris Christy, I though you never heard of him?  Obviously you don't remember his last big investigation, JIM MCGREEVEY?  Oh, that's right I guess it wasn't just overzealousness after all.
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 02:17:07 PM »

Chris Christy, I though you never heard of him?  Obviously you don't remember his last big investigation, JIM MCGREEVEY?  Oh, that's right I guess it wasn't just overzealousness after all.
Yes and is McGreevey in jail or something today? No.... Also, I only read that he considered running for the senate today. He is a little known figure in NJ. I am not suggesting it wont hurt Menendez, it will. Now he will have to discredit him and hopefully his office will come up with the results of the investigation so he can be vindicated.
Conan
conan

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 02:20:02 PM »

Yes and is McGreevey in jail or something today? No.... Also, I only read that he considered running for the senate today. He is a little known figure in NJ. I am not suggesting it wont hurt Menendez, it will. Now he will have to discredit him and hopefully his office will come up with the results of the investigation so he can be vindicated.
Oh and I have read some more, Menendez's rental was approved by the House Ethics Committee. Depending on how this pans out, it can either help Kean or destroy him.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 02:26:43 PM »

Oh and I have read some more, Menendez's rental was approved by the House Ethics Committee. Depending on how this pans out, it can either help Kean or destroy him.

To say this while destroy Kean, that is a bit hackish, it should go in that section. 

QUOTE ME HERE:
I officially state, September 8, 2006, I personally guarantee Tom Kean Jr. will be the next senator from NJ
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »

While "destroy" is a big word, yes this definitely sounds as if it could well backfire if used too much by the Kean camp.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 02:47:16 PM »

Despite all Menendez's problems, I myself have trouble seeing New Jersey electing a Republican Senator this year.  Of course, even in 1974 the GOP won a seat in Nevada and its rare for gains to be made by just one party, but I think Bush's appalling approvals in New Jersey are the albatross around Kean's neck. 
Conan
conan

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 02:54:59 PM »

While "destroy" is a big word, yes this definitely sounds as if it could well backfire if used too much by the Kean camp.

I didnt only mean it in Keans direction, it could be used vice versa with Menendez too.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 02:55:06 PM »

In other words, just like the Delay prosecution in Texas.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 03:05:02 PM »

Except Bob Menendez actually committed a crime, a legitmate crime, not the fishing the Texas DA is doing.
Rococo4

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 03:59:34 PM »

pull a ballot switch and bring back the Torch
Conan
conan

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 04:14:36 PM »

Actually no, while Delay broke the law, Menendez didnt do anything illegal but something that was approved by the House Ethics Committee.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 04:18:13 PM »

Actually no, while Delay broke the law, Menendez didnt do anything illegal but something that was approved by the House Ethics Committee.

You keep believing that, there is something to be said for being a realist, I hope all Democrats think that Menendez is the favorite and will cruise to victory like you and ignore this race.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 04:28:58 PM »

Well I'm ready to call this race a tossup now. lol makes you wonder if reporters are already waiting outside Richard Codey's house.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 04:50:56 PM »

Well I'm ready to call this race a tossup now. lol makes you wonder if reporters are already waiting outside Richard Codey's house.

I think they might be, in fact, that's my worst nightmare Smiley

Too bad all Dems don't think what Conan does about this race Sad
Conan
conan

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 09:30:22 PM »

You keep believing that, there is something to be said for being a realist, I hope all Democrats think that Menendez is the favorite and will cruise to victory like you and ignore this race.
I have never said Menendez was in a simple race. I said that I am pretty sure he'd win which he will. However, I know subpeonas, even if they come from a partisan hack, arent good news.
Conan
conan

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 09:32:19 PM »

Uh, no. One thing that both Republicans and Democrats recognize him for is that Chris Christie has never been one to play politics. He has probobly been tougher on suspects of his own party then that of the opposition.
Exactly the contrary actually. Chris Christie, I have found in my research, is extremely partisan, and a big fundraisor for Bush. In fact, his nomination should have been put down because of that.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 10:35:23 PM »

Hell, I flipped NJ to Kean on my prediction map.  But I still hold out hope that NJ undecideds return to their roots and vote for Menendez come November.  Kean's probably a 60-40 favorite at this point.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies