MD-Primary Sept 12 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:04:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Primary Sept 12 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MD-Primary Sept 12  (Read 17292 times)
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« on: September 08, 2006, 11:08:49 PM »
« edited: September 08, 2006, 11:12:49 PM by Mike in Maryland »

My ballot (who I'll vote for, not necessarily who will win, but all of these have some chance to do so):

Governor: Martin O'Malley
US Senate: Probably Ben Cardin
CD 8: Chris Van Hollen
Attorney General: Stu Simms
Comptroller: Undecided; leaning to Jan Owens
State Senate (District 17): Jennie Forehand (unopposed)
State House: Kumar Barve, Luiz Simmons, and Ryan Spiegel
County Executive: Ike Leggett
County Council (At Large): Marc Elrich, Mike Subin, Nancy Floreen, and one undecided spot
County Council (district 3): Undecided; leaning Phil Andrews
State's Attorney: John McCarthy
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 11:35:51 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2006, 11:43:09 PM by Mike in Maryland »

What some people here fail to see is... Under certain circumstances, Mfume is just as strong, if not stronger, than Cardin.  Here on the ground in MD there is a common consensus that if both Mfume and Simms lose their primary, blacks are going to...

A- Stay home in large numbers (similar to what happend in 2002).
B- Protest vote for Steele.

(keep in mind Maryland is 35% black)

Think about it.  If the Democrats a field ticket like this.

O'Malley - Governor (White dude)
Cardin - Senate (Pasty old white dude)
Gansler - Attorney General (Young cocky white dude)
Schaefer - Comptroller (Crazy old white dude)

Is the base (read: African Americans) really going to turn out for a statewide Democratic ticket like that?  Your kidding yourself if you say, yes.

Races in MD are won by turning out the base.

Meanwhile Republicans are looking at the following ticket.

Ehrlich - Governor
Steele - Senate (African American)
Rolle - Attorney General
Spradley - (African American)

Everything found in this post contributes to why I am now somewhat undecided between Cardin and Mfume.

Nick, do you think that if Mfume is the nominee that he'll generate enough black turnout to offset defections from moderate white Democrats who would likely vote for Cardin but may have problems with Mfume?  Or will there not be that many white defections (what's the sense you get of opinion around Dundalk and thereabouts?)  My sense is such defections explain why Cardin has generally run better in the polls against Steele than Mfume has, though the factor of higher/lower turnout is somewhat intangible.

If Cardin is the nominee, I don't see a massive shift of blacks voting for Steele, not after his positions on the issues and alliance with the Bush adminsitration become the focus of the campaign instead of the slogans and platitudes that he's largely campaigned on.  (BTW, I've seen polls that show Steele getting about a third of decided black voters and still losing to Cardin by several points.)  But there is also the possibility that many African Americans might stay home which could be problematic for the entire ticket (as in 2002.) 

That's one reason why I switched my support from Gansler to Simms for attorney general; with African-American and Baltimore regional support I think Simms has a good chance to win his race despite being outspent.  But I still have some doubts about Mfume's electability; how many white Dems can he hold and can he gin up enough black turnout to win? (About 29-30% of the state's population is black; usually the proportion of voters in general elections is lower though Mfume and Simms, and for that matter Anthony Brown, could help change that.)

I also once favored reelecting William Donald Schaefer, despite his gaffes, but not so much now.  It seems that every time he opens his mouth he's insulting someone or making some mistake;  he's not so much endearingly plainspoken as just tiringly strident.  Do people really want four more years of that?
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 09:58:41 AM »

Just finsihed voting...

My Primary Ballot-
Governor - O'Malley
Senate - Cardin (I was this close to voting for Mfume, but straw that broke the camels back for me was campaign cash.  We simply cannot afford to draw millions away from PA, MO, VA, RI, OH, etc... to save Mfume.)
Attorney General - Stu Simms
Comptroller - Janet Owens
Congress - Dutch Ruppersberger
State Senate - Norman Stone
Delegate - Ron Schaefer

The rest are local county offices, so I wont bother listing them.

I voted for the same people statewide that you did.  And we had voting problems here, too.  Some machines weren't ready because some moron forgot to distribute the cards needed; as a result some of the earliest voters had to use paper ballots.  (We didn't have these problems when I lived in Virginia and used those old-fashioned lever machines where you literally go behind a curtain!)
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 12:48:23 PM »

I've heard that Cardin sent out lots of automated phone calls in Montgomery County, noting that there were problems early on and reassuring voters that they were fixed and to get out and vote.

I wonder if we'll know the results tonight, given the large number of paper provisional ballots that were cast.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:51:14 PM »

I'm sure that Mfume won big in Baltimore and Prince Georges... I don't know about Montgomery.

The map will probably look very similar to the 2004 general:

Cardin won Montgomery County, with 55% to Mfume's 28%.  Josh Rales, a county resident, got only 6%.

This does not include the many provisional ballots that were cast here, as the screwup of the polling machines early in the morning forced many voters to cast such ballots.  But I don't think they'll change the overall picture in the statewide races much.  They might alter the results of some of the close local or state legislative races, however.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 02:20:55 PM »

Rob's links now has all counties but PGs and AA in. Mfume wins Baltimore city (2:1 - similar to Cardin's margin in Montgomery) and Charles. Baltimore county went for Cardin, but it was actually quite close. Perhaps a Baltimore vs DC thing.

Both Cardin and Mfume come from Baltimore City or its near suburbs, so geography doesn't explain it very well.

Cardin won Baltimore County 55-30; not what I'd call quite close.  He also won Anne Arundel 57-26.  Mfume won Prince George's 70-19.  (Results from the individual counties' Board of Elections sites.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies