MD-Primary Sept 12 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:56:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Primary Sept 12 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MD-Primary Sept 12  (Read 17284 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: September 09, 2006, 04:34:10 AM »

Nick, do you think that if Mfume is the nominee that he'll generate enough black turnout to offset defections from moderate white Democrats who would likely vote for Cardin but may have problems with Mfume?  Or will there not be that many white defections (what's the sense you get of opinion around Dundalk and thereabouts?)  My sense is such defections explain why Cardin has generally run better in the polls against Steele than Mfume has, though the factor of higher/lower turnout is somewhat intangible.
The factor of higher/lower turnout is very hard to poll... not that I think anyone's trying.

There is a lot of potential for defections either way -
Blacks could vote for Steele over Cardin
White Democrats could vote for Steele over Mfume
White Republicans could vote for Cardin over Steele.

The third one is the only one with the potential to move this race out of the Lean Dem category (and into Safe Dem territory), were it to happen in significant numbers. Thing is, if this were happening, we'd probably know by now - it would be reflected in the polls. Thence, there seems to be no reason to assume that either Cardin or Mfume is significantly more electable than the other.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:24:45 AM »

...just kidding about the goofball thing Wink

I take it your girlfriend occasionally reads in on the forum, so you had to selfcensor? Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 02:01:04 PM »

Rob's links now has all counties but PGs and AA in. Mfume wins Baltimore city (2:1 - similar to Cardin's margin in Montgomery) and Charles. Baltimore county went for Cardin, but it was actually quite close. Perhaps a Baltimore vs DC thing.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 02:26:19 PM »

Rob's links now has all counties but PGs and AA in. Mfume wins Baltimore city (2:1 - similar to Cardin's margin in Montgomery) and Charles. Baltimore county went for Cardin, but it was actually quite close. Perhaps a Baltimore vs DC thing.

Both Cardin and Mfume come from Baltimore City or its near suburbs, so geography doesn't explain it very well.

Cardin won Baltimore County 55-30; not what I'd call quite close. 
My bad.
I accidentally compared Cardin's Baltimore County vote with Mfume's Baltimore City vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies