Cardin's KO punch.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:49:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cardin's KO punch.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cardin's KO punch.  (Read 1910 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2006, 11:05:48 PM »

Something in my gut told me the Baltimore Sun would endorse Mfume the weekend before the primary.  I just got word that the Baltimore Sun will endorse Cardin tomorrow in the Sunday Edition of the Sun.

This probably means game over for Mfume.

ps -  The Washington Post has already endorsed Cardin.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 11:08:39 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2006, 11:11:30 PM by nickshepDEM »

Cardin's ground game is much better than I anticipated too.  I participated in a massive lit drop today for a local County Councilman and Martin O'Malley.  We dropped at least 15,000 pieces of lit and practically every house we hit, Cardin's camp had already been there.  They claim they knocked on 30,000 doors today alone.  Pretty impressive.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 11:09:23 PM »

Something in my gut told me the Baltimore Sun would endorse Mfume the weekend before the primary.  I just got word that the Baltimore Sun will endorse Cardin tomorrow in the Sunday Edition of the Sun.

This probably means game over for Mfume.

ps -  The Washington Post has already endorsed Cardin.

All I can say is one word: good.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 11:13:14 PM »

All the better to prevent Mfume from winning the primary.  Good for Cardin.  I look forward to seeing him as Maryland's next senator.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 11:15:10 PM »

All the better to prevent Mfume from winning the primary.  Good for Cardin.  I look forward to seeing him as Maryland's next senator.

What he said.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 11:31:29 PM »

Maybe NOW can help Mfume pull through...?

Yeah, I'm still hoping but I have been calling for a Cardin win anyway.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 06:02:13 AM »

You think this is relevant?

Is there something about Black primary voters and the Baltimore Sun that I should know, or is this mere wishful thinking on your part?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 06:23:24 AM »

Its a shame if the GOP can take some of the black vote from the Democrats this election as the Democratic ticket will virtually be all white.  I support Mfume in the primary but I now have no doubt that Cardin will win.  Despite the fact that this was a chance the Democrats had to elect a black Senator and make the country more diverse and individual. 
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 08:17:36 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2006, 08:29:14 AM by Mike in Maryland »

Cardin's ground game is much better than I anticipated too.  I participated in a massive lit drop today for a local County Councilman and Martin O'Malley.  We dropped at least 15,000 pieces of lit and practically every house we hit, Cardin's camp had already been there.  They claim they knocked on 30,000 doors today alone.  Pretty impressive.

Over here in Montgomery County, I've gotten several pieces of mail from Cardin's campaign, plus one from Rales, but nothing from Mfume.  What gives?

Though I have leaned to Cardin, after reading Nick's analysis the other day I have been reconsidering a vote for Mfume.  I've also been plugging numbers into my calculator to see who has the best chance of winning, with estimates of percentages and turnout (how many blacks can Cardin lose and still win?  How many whites does Mfume need?)  I've concluded that either can win, depending on the circumstance, with their strengths balancing their weaknesses, though neither is a lock.  I still haven't firmly made up my mind though.   Got two more days.

Its a shame if the GOP can take some of the black vote from the Democrats this election as the Democratic ticket will virtually be all white.  I support Mfume in the primary but I now have no doubt that Cardin will win.  Despite the fact that this was a chance the Democrats had to elect a black Senator and make the country more diverse and individual. 

That's a fair point, but even if Mfume doesn't win the primary the Democratic ticket won't necessarily be all white.  Stu Simms may win for attorney general (I'm voting for him over my local State's Attorney), and Anthony Brown is on for lieutenant governor.   Both are black. 

And frankly the GOP candidates' attempt at hip-hopifying themselves looks a little silly in some ways.  President Bush is Steele's "homeboy"?  I think (and hope) that most blacks disagree and won't be taken in by the lingo but instead will vote on issues.  Democratic support in the black community, regardless of the race of the candidates, is rooted enough so that they shouldn't feel the need to put on an act.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 08:58:45 AM »

Cardin's ground game is much better than I anticipated too.  I participated in a massive lit drop today for a local County Councilman and Martin O'Malley.  We dropped at least 15,000 pieces of lit

Good for you , bro. I'm doing some work for Paul Hodes and the state Democratic party tonight.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 09:56:48 AM »

Is there something about Black primary voters and the Baltimore Sun that I should know, or is this mere wishful thinking on your part?

I believe the Sun is a black newspaper.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 09:57:56 AM »

That's news to me.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 09:59:05 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2006, 10:04:33 AM by nickshepDEM »

Its not a black paper, but it is THE paper of the Baltimore area.  I believe they have 200,000+ subscribers.

My point is this could be the straw that broke the camels back.  Everytime Mfume seems to gain a little traction something big like this slams him right back down.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 09:59:53 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2006, 10:02:22 AM by nickshepDEM »

We have a black paper here in Baltimore, I believe it is called the Baltimore Afro-American Times.  They have already endorsed Mfume.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 10:02:14 AM »

That's news to me.

Maybe I am thinking of a paper around here called the Sun. I know I have seen ads for it on TV which states their focus on serving the interest of the black community.
Deano963

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 10:22:41 AM »

Would be nice if those DIMs stopped taking blacks for granted.

Cause the GOP Maryland ticket is pretty black and hip hop style this year, I heard.

Just curious...what makes a party ticket "hip hop"?
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 10:32:40 AM »

Would be nice if those DIMs stopped taking blacks for granted.

Cause the GOP Maryland ticket is pretty black and hip hop style this year, I heard.

Just curious...what makes a party ticket "hip hop"?

In Steele's case, probably Russell Simmons' support (featured rather prominently in his latest ad.)  Same for the Dems if P. Diddy or Chuck D endorse.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 11:19:37 AM »

Whew.  If nominated, I hope they expend the same effort in the general election.  I may join the local volunteers for whoever the Dem nominee is.

This week, I will be working my polling place on primary day for state House candidate Ryan Spiegel, for whom I have volunteered and contributed to.  Today he got the Washington Post's endorsement--a nice boost in a tight race.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 03:12:43 PM »

Its not a black paper, but it is THE paper of the Baltimore area.  I believe they have 200,000+ subscribers.

My point is this could be the straw that broke the camels back.  Everytime Mfume seems to gain a little traction something big like this slams him right back down.
Probably not, simply because a major newspaper endorsing Cardin isn't really news.
A big endorsement for Mfume, on the other hand...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 03:19:47 PM »

of course ive endorsed mfume in this primary!
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 06:43:23 PM »

I hope Mfume wins the primary!!! B/c that would make this a real nailbiter til the very end . I like Steele and would love to see him as MD's senator
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies