obama or ford?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:52:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  obama or ford?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: obama or ford?  (Read 25887 times)
Conan
conan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 05:10:26 PM »

Ford.  Obama is more fluff when you take away the polished showman and compare the two men for who they are.
Whys Ford so good? He has no idea what its like for real people, he went to an elite private school in Washington DC where he grew up and he comes from a family which is both corrupt and dont hold other jobs but elected office. He is too conservative and anti bill of rights.

Conan, have fun nominating Hillary Clinton or Howard Dean

Wow, just imagine if all Democrats were Conan, thinking all radical left-wingers are going to win, even one's who have committed crimes.

That would help the GOP a whole lot

Before everyone says I am the same, I do not hate moderates I hate people who bash the party, and Ford is a big critic of the president.  He is an asset to the party, not a danger like Lincoln Chafee is the Republicans.
First of all I also like Ben Nelson. Second of all I want Mark Warner to be the nominee in 2008. Hillary Clinton believe it or not isnt a radical left winger. These candidates can win too anyway. You just have to have the money, charisma, and personality. John Kerry came off as waspy and was smeared. Gore wasnt being charismatic and didnt have as much money as Bush. You have to be a superstar in the GOP to win nationally. Now you only have McCain and Giuliani. After that, you better hope you have someone else.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2006, 05:15:30 PM »

Ford.  Obama is more fluff when you take away the polished showman and compare the two men for who they are.
Whys Ford so good? He has no idea what its like for real people, he went to an elite private school in Washington DC where he grew up and he comes from a family which is both corrupt and dont hold other jobs but elected office. He is too conservative and anti bill of rights.

Wow, just imagine if all Democrats were Conan, thinking all radical left-wingers are going to win, even one's who have committed crimes.

Before everyone says I am the same, I do not hate moderates I hate people who bash the party, and Ford is a big critic of the president.  He is an asset to the party, not a danger like Lincoln Chafee is the Republicans.
First of all I also like Ben Nelson. Second of all I want Mark Warner to be the nominee in 2008. Hillary Clinton believe it or not isnt a radical left winger.

After that, nothing else is worth listening too, the GOP has great candidates that they could nominate, all the Dems great candidates never would be nominated.
Conan
conan

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2006, 07:33:39 PM »

First of all I also like Ben Nelson. Second of all I want Mark Warner to be the nominee in 2008. Hillary Clinton believe it or not isnt a radical left winger.

After that, nothing else is worth listening too, the GOP has great candidates that they could nominate, all the Dems great candidates never would be nominated.
Who are these candidates? Just 2 that could win. McCain and Giuliani.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2006, 07:44:13 PM »

Assuming we are talking 2012 or 2016...
----------------------------------------------------------

Barack Obama, provided he nominates a moderate Democratic governor from a southern or western state (Mark Warner, Brian Schweitzer, Bill Ritter, Jr.).  Such a ticket would undoubtably be formidable.

While I like Harold Ford, Jr. and wouldn't mind having him as my senator, he is too conservative to win the Democratic nomination.  There is no doubt in my mind that he would fare about as well as Gene Taylor or some other conservative southern Democrat if they were striving to become their party's presidential standard bearer. 
jacob_101

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2006, 09:16:54 PM »

and as much as i hate to say it, obama's name would hurt.

1.  it is too....ethnic
2.  too similar to osama.

that may be silly, but it is the truth.

Didn't seem to hurt him in IL where he got 70% of the vote.

....against alan keyes.

Still...if your point is people won't vote for him because he has an ethnic name 70% of the state proves that wrong.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2006, 07:01:56 AM »

Who are these candidates? Just 2 that could win. McCain and Giuliani.

Depends your standard:
Unbeatable:
Guilliani and McCain

This is saying that absolutley no Democrat could beat Giulliani or McCain

Good Chance:
Huckabee, Condi Rice, Romney, Hagel, Frist, Hagel

Could Win Against Hillary or Other Wacko Leftist:
Tancredo, Gingrich

The GOP has a large list of candidates who could win, but only Guilliani and McCain are unbeatable.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2006, 08:13:02 AM »

Of course to be of the left or a liberal one must be insane.

Anyway.

Huckabee is definitely a personable guy and could be quite attractive electorally.

Gingrich would be ripped apart - only the hard right has time for him now.

Rice would be a bad move for the Reps - she wouldn't be able to win the deep south (call it "ignorance" on my part).

Romney could do it

Frist will go down as the kitty killer

I like Hagel and he could win.

The problem is that the primary structure is run by the right and a moderate like McCain and Hagel would have trouble... let alone a liberal like Guiliani (yes... for a Rep (who lists Bobby Kennedy as a political hero... read his book he does) he is a liberal).

The problem is once McCain started to pander the hard right, he started losing credibility, let alone standing with Bush.

The BEST chance the Reps have in 2008 is someone who was either publicily critical of Bush or someone who was not a national player.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2006, 12:57:56 PM »

I like both of them fine, but I think Obama would make a better President. Obama/Ford might even be a great ticket.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2006, 02:25:04 PM »

Obama has more star power and a stronger base within the Democratic Party.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2006, 02:29:58 PM »

Obama.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2006, 01:19:02 AM »

Obama and he needs to run now!

You get no where in politics if you wait your turn.  And Obama seems to me to be the only Democrat who can take out Hillary.  Moreover, though I've previously been partial to candidacies like that of Mark Warner--reasonable, consenus-building moderates, just as much, if not more can be accomplished with the type of inspiring leadership Obama offers. 

The biggest obstacle to any Democratic president, though, is the McCain juggernaut.  Some say McCain is too moderate for the GOP nomination but he's quickly accumulating more and more establishment support.  He's going to have tons and tons of money and I just don't see a GOPer who's going to have the power to rally forces against him at this point.

If McCain's the nominee, I think Obama could still make it competitive.  In fact, I think he's probably the ONLY Democrat who could hold off McCain.  But I'd much rather have him wait if McCain's a sure thing on the GOP side.

As for running mates for Obama, I'm partial to a Kansas ticket w/ Gov. Kathleen Sebelius as VP. 

Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2006, 04:00:46 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2006, 04:02:24 AM by Michael Z »

You get no where in politics if you wait your turn.  And Obama seems to me to be the only Democrat who can take out Hillary.  Moreover, though I've previously been partial to candidacies like that of Mark Warner--reasonable, consenus-building moderates, just as much, if not more can be accomplished with the type of inspiring leadership Obama offers. 

The biggest obstacle to any Democratic president, though, is the McCain juggernaut.  Some say McCain is too moderate for the GOP nomination but he's quickly accumulating more and more establishment support.  He's going to have tons and tons of money and I just don't see a GOPer who's going to have the power to rally forces against him at this point.

If McCain's the nominee, I think Obama could still make it competitive.  In fact, I think he's probably the ONLY Democrat who could hold off McCain.  But I'd much rather have him wait if McCain's a sure thing on the GOP side.

As for running mates for Obama, I'm partial to a Kansas ticket w/ Gov. Kathleen Sebelius as VP. 

Unfortunately I think it's still too early for Obama. Plus there are other Democrats who could beat Hillary, especially Gore (who I still think will run, no matter how many times he denies it).

I wonder what the odds are on a Gore/Obama ticket..........
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2006, 07:36:35 AM »

^^^^^^
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2006, 08:25:01 AM »

Ford, though both would be excellent.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2006, 12:13:24 AM »

and as much as i hate to say it, obama's name would hurt.

1.  it is too....ethnic
2.  too similar to osama.

that may be silly, but it is the truth.

Haha, that's why I thought he'd lose the senate race in 2004.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2006, 05:19:44 PM »

Ford's positions render him more electable, but Obama is a far better public speaker.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2006, 07:07:50 PM »

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2006, 07:25:44 PM »

I like both a lot, but I prefer Obama. Call it home state bias Smiley
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2006, 07:44:31 PM »

Obama has more star power and a stronger base within the Democratic Party.

That will change if Ford can get them a senate seat in a state that is disinclined to.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2006, 07:52:31 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2006, 07:55:30 PM by Winfield »

Why is reply #45 by Tredrick reading "Osama or Ford?" and not "Obama or Ford?"

Never mind, I know.

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2006, 07:59:43 PM »

Why is reply #45 by Tredrick reading "Osama or Ford?" and not "Obama or Ford?"

Never mind, I know.

I was wondering if anyone would notice.  Congrats on doing so.
tulip
Rookie

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2006, 09:54:19 PM »

I like both. I don't know about president but VP in 08. Yep.......on both or either.

I've seen Ford speak and it was WOW! I would love to see Obama speak in person but the timing has not been right yet.........Smiley

If Ford can do it in TN then we can do it in 08!!!!!
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2008, 12:41:06 PM »

This is one of the best predictions I've seen but you still underestimated Obama Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2008, 03:16:35 PM »

This is one of the best predictions I've seen but you still underestimated Obama Smiley

Damn, I guess he beat me for earliest Obama beats McCain prediction.

It's going to be fun to watch the look on Republican's faces when their "maverick" loses to a one term black Senator from Chicago.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2008, 05:18:15 PM »

Ford by far.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies