Bob Casey's new ad
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:12:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bob Casey's new ad
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bob Casey's new ad  (Read 2319 times)
Deano963

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:57:29 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U9l5XUz8h0

Overall, I think the ad is pretty good, not great, but I'm glad Casey is finally starting to go on the attack. I think he will put some distance between himself and Tricky Rick again. I was starting to wonder why he wasn't using Santorum's own words from his book (which is full of insane wingnut BS rantings) and his voting record against him in his ads.

The ad could have been far better, of course. I've read Santorum quotes from when he was running for Senate where he promised to never accept a pay increase. Also, at the end where it says he voted to increase his own pay three times, it should say immediately after that Santorum also voted against raising the minimum wage. That would anger a lot of people in PA given what the PA electorate did to all those incumbent state legislators in the primary for voting themselves a pay increase.

The bottom line is given the sheer volume of insane things Santorum has said ("we have found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq") and the ridiculous votes he has cast in the Senate, Casey's ads should be much more brutal and he should still be blowing out Santorum.  Whoever is in charge of Casey's ads must be a complete idiot.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 11:22:24 PM »

...and just like every other attack like this on Santorum, it will backfire.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 11:42:33 PM »

Santorum is apparently made of rubber. Interesting.
Jacobtm

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 12:58:14 AM »

I heard a theory that Casey is actually made of glue.

There was some complex interaction between his and Santorums bio-chemistry that I can't quite recall...
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 01:13:27 AM »

There was some complex interaction between his and Santorums bio-chemistry that I can't quite recall...

Nicely done gentlemen!

These ads rarely work.  No one trusts the person is not an actor and they always appear too scripted.

Casey again puts his approval at the end of a negative ad.  Purely negative, but the attack is so weak I see no net effect from this.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 01:28:57 AM »

Judging from the last two elections, yes.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 03:11:39 AM »

Is this Republican logic?  If you've won 2 Senate elections you are invincible so the other party shouldn't even bother running against you?
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 08:03:15 AM »

A decent ad, but in the end it's going to Santorum who loses this race, not Casey who wins. It's time to face facts PA Conservatives, your boy is an imbecile. "I think the wold stand up and applaud my record on the pay increase". Of course Rick...all freedom fighters go against their word, raise their own slaries whilst keeping at bay the less fortunate. That's grade a heroism [/sarcasm]. Senator Dog Sex just doesn't have the record to survive yet another election...even against a bore like Casey.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:38:35 AM »

Is this Republican logic?  If you've won 2 Senate elections you are invincible so the other party shouldn't even bother running against you?

No, but it has worked out way, twice.  Or do you think Harris Wofford or Ron Klink is the junior Senator from Pennsylvania?
Deano963

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 11:29:50 AM »

Nicely done gentlemen!

These ads rarely work.  No one trusts the person is not an actor and they always appear too scripted.

Casey again puts his approval at the end of a negative ad.  Purely negative, but the attack is so weak I see no net effect from this.

Tredrick, I am truly tired of you always saying that a politican is making a huge mistake by saying "I approved this message" at the end of an attack ad. I have never once seen any data to back this up and I have never once heard of it actually happening in a real race. Stop with this asinine argument. To argue that this ad will hurt Casey more then Santorum in a  state where the voters threw out like 20 incumbent legislators for increasing their own pay is incredibly stupid.
Deano963

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 11:31:36 AM »

Now there's some hack logic if I ever saw it.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 12:55:36 PM »

No, but it has worked out way, twice.  Or do you think Harris Wofford or Ron Klink is the junior Senator from Pennsylvania?

Nope.  Of course I never thought either of them were very good canidates.  And '94 and '00 were very different election years than '06.  In '94 there was a backlash against the Democratic Congress.  In '06 there was a backlash against Clinton.  In '06 I think we'll see a backlash against the Republican Congress.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 01:28:37 PM »

Nope.  Of course I never thought either of them were very good canidates.  And '94 and '00 were very different election years than '06.  In '94 there was a backlash against the Democratic Congress.  In '06 there was a backlash against Clinton.  In '06 I think we'll see a backlash against the Republican Congress.

There was backlash against Clinton? In a year where the Democrats picked up 5 senate seats? News to me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 01:31:55 PM »

Take a look at the past, moron. The Dems always make an issue out of these things and they go no where. In fact, after his comments on gays a few years back, his numbers didn't move and shortly afterward, they went up. When Santorum stands up and says what he believes, people react in a positive way.
Deano963

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 02:23:07 PM »

Take a look at the past, moron. The Dems always make an issue out of these things and they go no where. In fact, after his comments on gays a few years back, his numbers didn't move and shortly afterward, they went up. When Santorum stands up and says what he believes, people react in a positive way.

Whoa there, Phil. No need to blow your lid.

The fact remains that your logic and fact are both flat wrong.

First of all, part of the reason that Casey has been leading Santorum by 15%-20% in the polls for the past year is b/c of the release of Santorum's book, which is a opposition researcher's dream come true. Most people in every poll done on this race have consistently said they are more "voting against Santorum" than they are really "voting for Casey" and his book and legislative record have everything to do with that. That's why this new ad from a political standpoint is so good - it remindes people of why they hate Rick Santorum.

You think that Santorum criticizing working families who have both the mother and father working full time jobs in order to make ends meet is not going to negatively impact him in this race? I'd like to know what alternate universe Rick (and yourself, apparently) are living in.

What did the Dems make an issue out of that went nowhere, let alone backfired? Are you saying that a politician voting to increase his own pay while voting against raising the minimum wage is going to go nowhere? You really do live in PA, right? You were there during the primaries? I would like to see your factual evidence to support that argument.

Also, I find it highly unlikely that Rick's numbers went up as a result of his negative comments about gays, and your statement that they "went up a while after that" does absolutely nothing to prove that the two were related.

You fail to provide one instance of an attack that Casey launched on Santorum that "backfired". I also find your assertion that the fact that Rick Santorum thinks it is wrong for both parents to work in order to make a decent living, and the fact that he has voted to increase his own pay three times (in a state that just retired close to 20 pols for doing the very same thing) will somehow turn out to hurt CASEY and not SANTORUM to be highly dubious and not based on any facts. I think you are voicing your partisan wish, not reality.

The only thing I can think of that people like yourself could (legitimately) possibly have against this ad is that it is all negative. To which I would say - TOUGH. Get over it. Political races are always much, much, much more about the incumbent and the incumbent's record than the challenger's. It works that smae way when there is a Dem incumbent. That's political reality, and Rick (and you) had better get over it quick and adapt or you will both be very dissapointed come November.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 03:05:51 PM »

The fact remains that your logic and fact are both flat wrong.

This will be fun.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually, you are wrong. His book didn't get that much attention. The reason why he was down so much was because of his opponent's name. People don't hate Rick Santorum in Pennsylvania. If that was true, though, I don't see how he could be closing the gap to about three or four points now.

Ask the voters if they know about Rick Santorum's book and I guarntee that an overwhelming majority have no idea that he ever wrote one. Nevermind the fact that the points in his book are terribly misunderstood.

People tried to make a big deal out of his comments on gays awhile back. Afterwards, his numbers were the same and, if anything, they went up a bit. People like how he speaks his mind.

Yeah, the pay raises are a big deal and yes, I do live in PA. That is why I know that the state pay raise hurts Casey more than Santorum. That is why I saw Rick Santorum, not Bob Casey, bring up the pay raise issue first during the Meet the Press appearance.

Another little fact, Deano, is that even though Rick Santorum voted against minimum wage increases before, he has voted for them about a dozen times.

Oh, so you mean to tell me that you can prove that his numbers went down in direct relation to his comments but I can't prove that they went up because of that? Thank you, hack. By the way, check the Quinnipiac poll archives for Santorum's standing after the comments. Don't get too disappointed when you don't see his numbers down.

Again, the Dems have made his gay comments and his housing situation an issue. Not only do they hardly ever gain any traction, Santorum usually comes out stronger. The man thrives when he is in the middle of a controversy. It makes him work harder and it looks like his effort is paying off...or do you still believe that he is down twenty points, hack?

Check the record, hack. Santorum voted for minimum wage increases, too, while Casey did nothing about the pay raise in PA (the real pay raise issue) until it was too late. Santorum has made the pay raise an issue, not Casey. I wonder who the issue helps...

Good for Casey that it is all negative. He got hammered in 2002 for running what many saw as a terribly negative campaign and it'll likely backfire again. And to that I say, "TOUGH."

I hope you never show your face on this forum again because this quote will end up in a lot of places, hack.

I don't see why we have to adapt to anything anyway. Last time I checked, Santorum was gaining in the polls.
Deano963

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 04:18:11 PM »

LOL. Here we go......

1) - Sorry Phil. Wrong again.....

FACT: Rick Santorum has been one of the least popular and most hated Senators in the country for over a year now according to Survey USA. See how I use facts and you use only wishful thinking hack? Try using some facts and maybe someone will take you seriously...

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollTrack.aspx?g=b99b1a05-e035-4238-93ff-6322599a4d2d

FACT: When you take the last FIVE polls on this race and average them, Casey has a lead of 9%, not 3-4 as you claim hack.

2) - Again - you offer no proof whatsoever that his comments about gays helped his numbers hack. And I never said they hurt his numbers. You are the one offering no facts to back up your argument hack.

3) - Hey there, hack, what happened to Rick's approval numbers when he spoke his mind about the Terri Schiavo case? Yeh...that's what I thought, hack. I thought you said people always "responded positively" when Santorum "stands up and says what he believes"? Your hackish comments yet again do not stand up to the facts, Phil.

Oh yeh, hack, I noticed how in your whole ranting you never commented on Santorum's comments about working parents, which is what the entire commercial was about. Nice try trying to change the subject. Did it help him when he "spoke his mind and what he believed in" in that instance? LOL.

4) - LOL.

Yeah, the pay raises are a big deal and yes, I do live in PA. That is why I know that the state pay raise hurts Casey more than Santorum. That is why I saw Rick Santorum, not Bob Casey, bring up the pay raise issue first during the Meet the Press appearance.

Another little fact, Deano, is that even though Rick Santorum voted against minimum wage increases before, he has voted for them about a dozen times.

Did Casey vote to increase his own pay hack??? FACT: NO

Did Rick Santorum vote to increase his own pay three times hack??? FACT: YES

Hey hack, what power does Casey have to stop a state legislator pay increase? As State Treasurer, he does not have a vote in the legislature nor does he have the power of a Governor to veto the bill. Way to show your complete and utter ignorance of state government, hack.

LOL. How does this hurt Casey and help Santorum again Phil?Huh?? I can't wait to hear your hack response to that. Again your logic is extremely flawed.

Another little fact, Phil, is that Santorum voted against an increase in the minimum wage THIS YEAR. This vote from the same hypocrite who criticizes both parents for working jobs to make both ends meet. Oh, so he voted for the raise in the PAST when the the measure was sure to fail? So that makes him what....a flip-flopper?Huh? HACK.

5) - LOL. This one is too good hack.

"Santorum has made the pay raise an issue, not Casey." - Philhack

Ummmm....HELLO? Anybody home? Are you blind, hack? Casey just made an entire commercial about Rick giving himself three pay increases. Geeeezz.....it's like debating a five-year-old.

6) - Hey, hack, I am not the one predicting a victory for the candidate trailing in the polls. That would be you, hack.

Keep up the lies, Phil, they don't help your cause. I hope you keep up the wishful thinking until November. But please respond with more lies and wishful thinking, hack. It's fun knocking them down.

And you were right on one thing - that WAS fun.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 08:37:37 PM »

LOL. Here we go......

1) - Sorry Phil. Wrong again.....

FACT: Rick Santorum has been one of the least popular and most hated Senators in the country for over a year now according to Survey USA. See how I use facts and you use only wishful thinking hack? Try using some facts and maybe someone will take you seriously...

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollTrack.aspx?g=b99b1a05-e035-4238-93ff-6322599a4d2d

Doesn't convert into hate. Nice try, hack.

I said they went no where but, if anything, he went up. Check Quinnipiac.

What happened when Santorum praised Rumsfeld and said the President has been "terrific?" Huh, hack? He has closed the gap since.

Uh...his numbers haven't been affected.

He does have the power, hack, and he eventually used it, hack. He filed a brief concerning the issue. Thanks for showing your complete and utter ignorance of state government and this race. Maybe if you watched the debate and actually listened to Casey himself you'd know something.

Casey was focused on with the state pay raise, not Santorum. There is a reason why Santorum is focusing on the issue so much. Again, you ignore the facts and continue to prove that you are easily one of the dumbest members of this forum.

He sponsored a raise in the minimum wage, hack. Check the record.

So why did Santorum totally destroy Casey when the state pay raise was brought up?

Because I know more and am smarter than you that makes me a hack? Ok...

Yes because posting your stupidity on an internet forum is really helping your cause to elect Casey. Come on over to PA and campaign in my neighborhood.

I haven't had the chance to talk with little kids in awhile so yes, I enjoyed it.
Deano963

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 08:44:36 PM »

LOL. You are good for a laugh hack. I cannot WAIT until election day so I can make one of your idiotic quotes about how Santorum is going to win into my signature. Keep living in neocon fantasy land hack.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 08:46:17 PM »

LOL. You are good for a laugh hack. I cannot WAIT until election day so I can make one of your idiotic quotes about how Santorum is going to win into my signature. Keep living in neocon fantasy land hack.

You do whatever you'd like. I've had to deal with a lot of that after elections here and believe me, it won't upset me that some ten year old got a hold of some of my quotes. Just promise me not to run away after Election day if Santorum wins.

Deano963

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 08:50:37 PM »

By the way, hack , filing a brief is not POWER. Trying to say Casey had the power to stop it is plain idiotic, but that it what I would expect from you. You are so incredibly ignorant anout your own state is laughable just talking to you. Your responses to all of my points were absolutely pathetic and juvenile and once again, no surprise here, you didn't use any FACTS.
Deano963

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 08:54:09 PM »

So why did Santorum totally destroy Casey when the state pay raise was brought up?

I think that is the singular dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.

You must be the only person I have talked to with half a brain (oops, that excludes you, sorry) who thinks that Santorum won that debate. Now I am sure you are mentally unstable. Good luck with that, hack.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 08:54:59 PM »

By the way, hack , filing a brief is not POWER.

Oh, right, that's just a game they play called the law. I forgot.

Look up the facts: Santorum voted for and sponsored minimum wage hikes, his numbers were hardly affected after his gay comments...when will you realize this, little boy?

You must be the only person I have talked to with half a brain (oops, that excludes you, sorry) who thinks that Santorum won that debate. Now I am sure you are mentally unstable. Good luck with that, hack.

Wow, I guess you don't pay much attention to...every commentator and every member of the forum.
Deano963

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 08:58:15 PM »

Look up the facts: Santorum voted for and sponsored minimum wage hikes, his numbers were hardly affected after his gay comments...when will you realize this, little boy?

So why did he vote against the minimum wage hike this year hack? Oh, I forgot, he must embody that word mindless twit republicans like to use so much....what is it again???...

oh...that's right...FLIP FLOPPER.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies