Rhode Island Senate Primary official thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:03:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rhode Island Senate Primary official thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Rhode Island Senate Primary official thread  (Read 22251 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2006, 03:22:26 PM »
« edited: September 12, 2006, 03:24:28 PM by © Boss Tweed »

May this be the offical discussion thread for Laffey/Chafee.  Personally, I'm pumped.  I'll try to get info on when polls close and an updating results page now.

EDIT: "Eyewitness News" says polls close at 8 PM link
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 03:23:33 PM »

Is it 8 o'clock yet? This is going to be fun.  Smiley

http://www.electionri.com/Results/TopTicket.htm
Joel the Attention Whore
Joel

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 03:24:50 PM »

I predict a Chafee victory.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 03:35:02 PM »

I have a feeling that Chafee will win it. But really, who knows? Polling for this race was garbage.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »

I have a feeling that Chafee will win it. But really, who knows? Polling for this race was garbage.

Well considering their are about 10 Republicans in Rhode Island you can't expect accurate polling.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 03:58:10 PM »

Well considering their are about 10 Republicans in Rhode Island you can't expect accurate polling.

Is it that hard to get the phone numbers of ten people?  Tongue
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 03:59:26 PM »

Is it that hard to get the phone numbers of ten people?  Tongue

No, but if one person changes their mind the poll really comes out messed up Smiley
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 04:05:02 PM »

WTF. Who's the kid in the helmet and camo? Laffey's son?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 04:09:59 PM »

WTF. Who's the kid in the helmet and camo? Laffey's son?

Hahaha! I was wondering the same thing! I'm sure it's his son preparing for today's "battle."  Tongue
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 04:12:34 PM »

phil, why exactly do you want a senator whitehouse from ri?
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 04:14:27 PM »

this is going to be, decidingly, the last straw for my blue avatar.  I'm already registered independent, and consider myself such...so.  we'll see.

i hate the 2 party system.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 04:15:47 PM »

Same question to you. Hate to break this to the Lincoln lovers but your boy would also lose to Whitehouse. The Dems have a superior candidate no matter what. Instead of wasting money to defend Chafee, why not go with the Republican in the race and admit that we have no shot in November?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 04:18:05 PM »

this is going to be, decidingly, the last straw for my blue avatar.  I'm already registered independent, and consider myself such...so.  we'll see.

i hate the 2 party system.

Stephen Laffey is closer to the ideals of this party in the present day and it's a shame that it takes a few candidates for you to realize that. If you are an Independent and registered as one then why the blue avatar to begin with?
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 04:18:37 PM »

Rasmussen   08/23 - 08/23   500 LV   42   44   6   Whitehouse +2.0
Fleming   08/16 - 08/21   401 RV   43   42   15   Chafee +1.0

Clearly, an insurmountable lead.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 04:18:50 PM »

Same question to you. Hate to break this to the Lincoln lovers but your boy would also lose to Whitehouse. The Dems have a superior candidate no matter what. Instead of wasting money to defend Chafee, why not go with the Republican in the race and admit that we have no shot in November?

chafee certainly can beat whitehouse (doesnt mean he will, but he has a realistic shot).  laffey has NO shot.

if laffey wins the primary and the dems take control of the senate 51-49, will you be happy?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »

The Dems have a superior candidate no matter what. Instead of wasting money to defend Chafee, why not go with the Republican in the race and admit that we have no shot in November?

This is true. If Chafee wins tonight, the GOP is going to blow a few million dollars in Rhode Island so that he can lose the general with 47 percent of the vote.

Doesn't make much sense to me.
Deano963

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 04:27:56 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2006, 04:29:41 PM by Deano963 »

The Dems have a superior candidate no matter what. Instead of wasting money to defend Chafee, why not go with the Republican in the race and admit that we have no shot in November?

This is true. If Chafee wins tonight, the GOP is going to blow a few million dollars in Rhode Island so that he can lose the general with 47 percent of the vote.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Actually, Lincoln Chaffee has repeatedly gauranteed that if he wins the primary, he will spend as much of his family fortune (he's very rich) as necessary to win the general. He only trails Whitehouse by two points right now. So, basically, republicans who are supporting Laffey are just plain retarded b/c Laffey has no chance AND will have a fraction of the funds Chaffee would have in the general. The NRSC probably wouldn't have to spend anything if Chafee wins the primary.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 04:30:15 PM »

Corbin, come to the party-disillusioned independent crowd, where the liberals call you a conservative and the conservatives call you a liberal!

Really, it's fun.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 04:35:59 PM »

The NRSC probably wouldn't have to spend anything if Chafee wins the primary.

I'm sure they will- look at all the money they've poured into the primary. Either way, I'm looking forward to Senator Whitehouse.

Corbin, come to the party-disillusioned independent crowd, where the liberals call you a conservative and the conservatives call you a liberal!

Obviously you're neither. You're just an effete latte-sipping suburbanite who likes to study election results.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 04:38:05 PM »

Obviously you're neither. You're just an effete latte-sipping suburbanite who likes to study election results.

I am sick and tired of people like you mis-representing my fundamental beliefs in life, how I was raised, and flagrantly lying about my political positions.  I will not allow these lies.  The truth must be told.

I don't, and have never, liked lattes.
Deano963

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 04:44:42 PM »

The NRSC probably wouldn't have to spend anything if Chafee wins the primary.

I'm sure they will- look at all the money they've poured into the primary. Either way, I'm looking forward to Senator Whitehouse.

Why on Earth would they blow any money when Chaffee is going to spend whatever amount necessary to win from his own fortune and they have six other vulnerable Senate seats to defend? Even Liddy Dole is not quite that stupid.
sethm0

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 04:47:34 PM »

The Providence Journal is reporting that polling places are running low on "disaffiliated" forms. This could be very big news for those of us who can't wait another four hours to hear the final results.

Independents are allowed to vote in party primaries but as soon as they do they are automatically registered as being members of that party. Polling places in RI have disaffiliation forms so that after independents vote they can return to being registered independents. Silly bureaucracy.

The fact that polling places are running out of these forms probably means that more independents are voting than had been expected.

Convensional wisdom would suggest that high independent turnout benefits Chafee. On the other hand, the first city to start running low on forms today was Cranston - Laffey's home base.

So we'll see...
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 04:53:05 PM »

The Providence Journal is reporting that polling places are running low on "disaffiliated" forms. This could be very big news for those of us who can't wait another four hours to hear the final results.

Independents are allowed to vote in party primaries but as soon as they do they are automatically registered as being members of that party. Polling places in RI have disaffiliation forms so that after independents vote they can return to being registered independents. Silly bureaucracy.

The fact that polling places are running out of these forms probably means that more independents are voting than had been expected.

Convensional wisdom would suggest that high independent turnout benefits Chafee. On the other hand, the first city to start running low on forms today was Cranston - Laffey's home base.

So we'll see...

That just makes more questions arise.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 04:53:32 PM »

Why on Earth would they blow any money when Chaffee is going to spend whatever amount necessary to win from his own fortune

The national GOP has said that it's not sending any money into Rhode Island if Laffey wins the primary. That would seem to imply that they are planning to send money into Rhode Island if Chafee is the nominee.
Deano963

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 05:09:46 PM »

Why on Earth would they blow any money when Chaffee is going to spend whatever amount necessary to win from his own fortune

The national GOP has said that it's not sending any money into Rhode Island if Laffey wins the primary. That would seem to imply that they are planning to send money into Rhode Island if Chafee is the nominee.

It WOULD..... IF Chaffee wasn't a gazillionaire in his own right who has said he will spend whatever necessary to win in the general. Therefore it dosen't say anything at all conclusive about what the NRSC plans to do if Chaffee wins. Laffey would need money from the NRSC if he won the primary, Chaffee would not.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies