Is Michael Steele finished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:31:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is Michael Steele finished?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well, is he?
Yes
No
Don't Know Enough to Say
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Is Michael Steele finished?  (Read 4340 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 01:50:52 PM »

he lost his senate bid, but I could still see him running for congress or governor somewhere down the line. It's likely that he'll get a cabinet appointment if the next president is a republican.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 04:36:34 PM »

Oh how we talk with hindsight, at that time Tom Kean Jr. was the favorite, he collapsed at the end and therefore ended me from every being optimistic about NJ Republicans
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 05:18:23 PM »

Steele political career isn't over. In matter of fact I consider him onne of the few Republican winners last november as he got his name out there and he created a positive image of himself, In addition he managed to clear himself of the fall of Erlich to Martain O'Malley.     
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 12:43:05 PM »

Steele political career isn't over. In matter of fact I consider him onne of the few Republican winners last november as he got his name out there and he created a positive image of himself, In addition he managed to clear himself of the fall of Erlich to Martain O'Malley.     

Someone who lost by a bigger margin than the polls predicted is a rather strange definition of winner.  And I'd question the "positive image" part.  In MD he'll probably be better remembered as the puppy-loving guy who lost a Senate race despite favorable press coverage by standing with Bush on most issues, as much as he tried to avoid saying so.

The Ehrlich/O'Malley race was closer, so I think Ehrlich has the better potential for a political comeback.  But I wouldn't get my hopes up too high about them or any Republican winning a major statewide race in the near future.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 12:51:55 PM »

Someone who lost by a bigger margin than the polls predicted is a rather strange definition of winner.  And I'd question the "positive image" part.  In MD he'll probably be better remembered as the puppy-loving guy who lost a Senate race despite favorable press coverage by standing with Bush on most issues, as much as he tried to avoid saying so.

Not to mention likening embryonic stem-cell research with Nazi experimentation. That surely makes Steele perfect fodder for the bat-sh**t crazy crowd I'd say

As far pre-election polling goes, he was about as much a winner last fall as Rick Santorum

Dave
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »

Not to mention likening embryonic stem-cell research with Nazi experimentation. That surely makes Steele perfect fodder for the bat-sh**t crazy crowd I'd say

As far pre-election polling goes, he was about as much a winner last fall as Rick Santorum

Dave

Actually, as I recall, the pre-election polling usually had Steele competitive, but never clearly ahead, while several polls showed Cardin with a solid lead.  As such, I never considered the race the "toss-up" that some observers did, especially as Steele had higher name recognition but couldn't get ahead which led me to think that Cardin had a better chance at picking up the undecided votes.

Cardin ultimately won by a 10-point margin, larger than most polls forecast (and larger than I thought.)  I guess I was right on my theory about the undecideds; better than expected Democratic GOTV also helped.  The media, meanwhile, seemed fixated on a potential major break of African American voters to Steele which didn't occur.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 03:34:24 PM »

Steele still has a future because he could always run for Governor in 2010 and he could win if O'Malley turns out to be a failure. 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 04:35:48 PM »

Actually, as I recall, the pre-election polling usually had Steele competitive, but never clearly ahead, while several polls showed Cardin with a solid lead.  As such, I never considered the race the "toss-up" that some observers did, especially as Steele had higher name recognition but couldn't get ahead which led me to think that Cardin had a better chance at picking up the undecided votes.

Cardin ultimately won by a 10-point margin, larger than most polls forecast (and larger than I thought.)  I guess I was right on my theory about the undecideds; better than expected Democratic GOTV also helped.  The media, meanwhile, seemed fixated on a potential major break of African American voters to Steele which didn't occur.

Basically, that's my point. The last reaclearpolitics average had Cardin leading Steele by 3.7% yet he won by 10%, while in PA Casey was ahead by 11.5% yet he won by 17%. So in that perspective, Steele was about as much a winner as Rick Santorum in that polls, overall, underestimated support for Cardin and Casey

Dave
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 05:01:24 PM »

You also have to keep in mind this was a really bad, bad year for the GOP. If last November was a better time for the Republicans I could have seen Steele pull an upset.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 05:35:22 PM »

You also have to keep in mind this was a really bad, bad year for the GOP. If last November was a better time for the Republicans I could have seen Steele pull an upset.

That we'll never know Wink

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies