Political Philosophy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:34:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Political Philosophy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Political Philosophy  (Read 3733 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2006, 10:45:52 PM »

What is your opinion on:
welfare?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 08:35:08 AM »

Generally I despise the idea of taking something from one man and giving it to another while the one taken from receives nothing in return - it seems like stealing to me, well intended though it might be. Current political reality is such that welfare to some degree must exist. So, if welfare must exist in some form or another it should be geared towards getting people on their feet and being self-reliant.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 09:54:02 PM »

It is necessary and vital, but the "welfare culture" of dependence and lack of self-reliance is very dangerous.  The cycle of poverty is only continued, not broken, by mere handouts.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 11:44:07 PM »

It is necessary and vital, but the "welfare culture" of dependence and lack of self-reliance is very dangerous.  The cycle of poverty is only continued, not broken, by mere handouts.

I agree. It's a necessary evil, but it should never be a way of life. It should be a temporary safety net for people while they are getting back up on their feet again.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 12:10:54 PM »

I agree... Welfare is a governmental way to give back to someone who has lost their job or needs a new one, and can't support themselves.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 07:39:51 PM »

Yes, but people abuse the system. I think we should let people keep their own money and give to charity without the gov't intervening. I am a Libertarian.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 10:43:47 PM »

But charity, like the government, is insufficent, and let's face it.... There would never be enough people giving to charity as there would be the need for welfare.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 03:32:34 PM »

I support phasing out the need for it via stronger education and more job creation. There should never come a time when we should resort to taking one's earnings and giving it to another.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 06:30:15 AM »

I support phasing out the need for it via stronger education and more job creation. There should never come a time when we should resort to taking one's earnings and giving it to another.

There are always going to be unforeseen problems and hardship in people's lives.  If you think that it's possible to create a world in which everyone has a job and is making enough money to get by, I don't know what to say other than that you're very likely fooling yourself.

And since there are always going to be those things to a greater or lesser degree, there will always be the ultimate option either of allowing people the safety net of welfare or of simply allowing the ones to whom unfortunate things happen to fall through the cracks and die.  I personally think that society as a whole benefits, not just those receiving the money, if the former is the road taken, provided that incentives are made to have the person try to get back to work.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 09:56:32 PM »

Why the hell is this in Constitution and Law?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 01:12:01 PM »

It's is Constitution and Law because wealth redistribution is unconstitutional.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 01:20:59 PM »

Where in the U.S Constitution does it say that the redistribution of wealth is unconstitutional?
Presumably written in white ink, next to another line (also written in white ink) that says that people have a constitutional right to have an abortion?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 01:27:59 PM »

Where in the U.S Constitution does it say that the redistribution of wealth is unconstitutional?
Presumably written in white ink, next to another line (also written in white ink) that says that people have a constitutional right to have an abortion?

Well put.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 09:31:18 PM »

Oh, I don't know the 9th and 10th amendment which state that anything left out of the constitution shall be left to the states. And you saying that wealth redistribution is not in the constitution can be used to prove welfare unconstitutional via deductive reasoning.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies