PA 13
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:34:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA 13
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 68
Author Topic: PA 13  (Read 327139 times)
migrendel
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2004, 12:39:50 PM »

Hopefully, Section 8 reform will fall flat. I have faith that there will be enough fair minded voters in PA-13 to counterbalance racist pandering on the part of Ms. Brown.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2004, 12:46:04 PM »

The Section 8 issue is not an issue based on race. Some take it that way but the fact of the matter is Section 8 includes people of all races. It's the fact that Section 8 is ruining neighborhoods with higher crime rates and drugs. This issue will not go away during this campaign. It's obvious that the people of the district want change. They're heard all the talk from Hoeffel and others but nothing has been done to improve the the situation. Reform is needed and it will be achieved when Dr. Brown gets to Congress.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2004, 02:03:09 PM »

Hoeffel (D) - 51%
Brown (R) - 47%
McDermott (C) - 2%

Allyson Schwartz - a far left liberal who MOVED INTO the district. She doesn't know the district or the people nearly as well as Melissa Brown. You can say that people here really dislike Bush and that is what will prevent Brown from doing well but look at '02. Rendell won this district by a HUGE margin and yet Brown was able to come within 4 points.

And if Joe Torsella was in the race it would still be a competitive because voters know Brown better. It would be a tougher race, I'll admit, but certainly still competitive.

Ok, Melissa Brown was from where??? Tennessee.  What college did she go to??? Keuka.  Who the f--k has ever heard of Keuka?  Schwartz grew up close enough to the district to know it.  Melissa Brown hit on a hot button issue a the right time and most people weren't even fathoming how bad Bush is.  Hoeffel STILL won.  Different story now.  I'll admit 4 years ago I would have voted for Brown, but now that I realize her unabashed support of Bush's boneheaded policies, I backed off very quick.  And I don't think Schwartz is that far to the left.  She will definitely move to the center and I think she knows she has to.  Melissa Brown got a hot tip from probably John Perzel and took off with it at the last minute.  Schwartz/Doc/Fumo and Co. have a lot of time to deflate it.  If the election were held today, I'd give Brown a SLIGHT lead.  Brown can only go down at this point.  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2004, 02:12:04 PM »

Brown grew up in Tennesse but spent her adult life and raised her family in PA. Are you actually going to make fun of the college the woman went to? That's really childish. It certainly doesn't matter what college she went to since she ran a small buisness and is an experienced doctor. If you want to argue about something, don't use "who ever heard of that college" as an arguement.

When it comes to knowing PA13 Melissa Brown knows it better than any other candidate. Schwartz representsa small part of PA13 as a state senator but doesn't come close to the knowledge Brown has about the area.

If the election was held today, you bet Melissa Brown would win. And when it is held on Nov. 2nd, the result will be the same.

Handzus, I noticed the picture of Governor Rendell as your signature...did you vote for him in the '02 primary or did you back Casey?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2004, 02:18:08 PM »

Hopefully, Section 8 reform will fall flat. I have faith that there will be enough fair minded voters in PA-13 to counterbalance racist pandering on the part of Ms. Brown.

Migrendel-  This is a perfect example of why the Democratic party needs to include economics.  If not for economics, I would actually vote Brown.  I'll have to agree with my Young Republican buddies here that Section 8 is grossly mismanaged as has ruined a lot of neighborhoods.

Keystone Phil-  Ms. Brown is going to have to explain her unabashed support of Bush at some point.  You know Schwartz will capitalize in it.  If not Section 8, what else does she really have as a Trunp Card.  Brown's trump card was Section 8 housing and don't you think the Democratic machines will be cranking a lot of OT to try to burn it?  Schwartz knows the enemy and what tricks she's going to pull out of her sleeve.  Hey, as I have said before I agree with you on Sec. 8 as I have seen my dad's parents neighborhood (Kensington) go down and my old one Northwood).  But if you think for one minute it's going to switch my vote for that unapologetic Bush lover, you are sadly mistaken!      
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2004, 02:21:34 PM »

Oh and I forgot to add, as you tried to make a point of Brown growing up in TN, right? Then you said that Schwartz grew up close to the district. I didn't think you would consider NEW YORK CITY close to the district.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2004, 05:06:57 PM »

Brown grew up in Tennesse but spent her adult life and raised her family in PA. Are you actually going to make fun of the college the woman went to? That's really childish. It certainly doesn't matter what college she went to since she ran a small buisness and is an experienced doctor. If you want to argue about something, don't use "who ever heard of that college" as an arguement.

When it comes to knowing PA13 Melissa Brown knows it better than any other candidate. Schwartz representsa small part of PA13 as a state senator but doesn't come close to the knowledge Brown has about the area.

If the election was held today, you bet Melissa Brown would win. And when it is held on Nov. 2nd, the result will be the same.

Handzus, I noticed the picture of Governor Rendell as your signature...did you vote for him in the '02 primary or did you back Casey?

I backed Rendell in that primary.  In fact I was an Independent prior to that primary because I had a lot of problems with the Democratic run city government yet I also had problems with the Republicans getting paid off by big corporations.  

As for Allyson Schwartz' residency, why do you see that as a problem?  The districts are so gerrymandered anyway and besides she lives close enough.  If you are talking about Driscoll in PA-15, then you have a valid point.    I wasn't the one who brought up her residenct, YOU DID!  I will give you this, I voted Joe Torsella on this to a point because I wanted to see a guy born and raised in Northeast Philly get elected.  My views are almost carbon copy of his just a smidge to the left.  I feel he has a much better understanding of what people liek me go through rahter than Allyson Schwartz.

As for Melissa Brown, there are a lot questions raised in her campaign.  Her relentless support of George W. Bush rather than being a representative raises concenrn about her being sent to congress.  Joe Hoeffel has been an excellent Congressman for us who has both addressed Section 8 and my concerns over Iraq and the lopsided tax cuts.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2004, 09:18:30 PM »

I brought up the residency because Brown has been in this district MUCH longer and knows more about it than Schwartz. For some reason you brought up where Brown was born and educated which I found no point in.

You're right about Melissa Brown supporting the President. She makes it known that she backs Bush and the people of the 13th will prefer her support of Bush (though most are against him) to Schwartz's far left views.

We can argue why we support each candidate and we can debate the issues but here is where you have to agree with me. You're not BRTD, you're not migrendel...you live in the district as I do. We both know Brown has the edge in the race.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2004, 09:24:19 PM »

If, at this point in your obviously sheltered life, you think Allyson Schwartz is far left, you've got another thing coming. And don't deny the racial overtones of this. We all know the sad stereotypes of those who receive government benefits. And since the attempts to prevent minorities from voting and using the same lunch counter can't be successful at this point, politicians like Melissa Brown have to use welfare, Section 8, affirmative action (usually described as quotas), and Willie Horton to appeal to the hardcore working class racist base.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2004, 09:34:42 PM »

I brought up the residency because Brown has been in this district MUCH longer and knows more about it than Schwartz. For some reason you brought up where Brown was born and educated which I found no point in.

You're right about Melissa Brown supporting the President. She makes it known that she backs Bush and the people of the 13th will prefer her support of Bush (though most are against him) to Schwartz's far left views.

We can argue why we support each candidate and we can debate the issues but here is where you have to agree with me. You're not BRTD, you're not migrendel...you live in the district as I do. We both know Brown has the edge in the race.

I think Kerry will win the district by 16 pts.  KP, you are right that there will be a lot of Kerry/Specter/Brown voters in this district.  I'm guessing that's about 5-7%.  Given the scenario in 2000 or 2002, I would agree with you that Brown would win.  However, these are different times and I think the relatively educated voters of the 13th district PA will agree with me on this.  Section 8 is not going to give her invincibilty.  It didn't in 2002, and it sure as hell will not this time.  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2004, 09:40:12 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2004, 09:41:40 PM by Keystone Phil »

Believe me, Allyson Schwartz is far left and there is no doubt about it. To even say Section 8 reform is being used because candidates cannot bring up denying minority voting and use of same lunch counter is RIDICULOUS. Tell me something, what is so bad about fixing a ruined system? Section 8 has caused the crime rate and drug presence to rise. Don't argue that with me because it has happened in NE Philly. Doesn't matter about the race because as I said earlier people of ALL races are living in Section 8. When neighborhoods are falling apart, we need someone who is willing to FIX them.

And Section 8 isn't Melissa Brown's only issues. Her main focus is on Medical malpractice reform and tort reform something Schwartz can never match up to Brown on. So please don't sit there and say that Brown's only issue is Section 8.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2004, 10:30:12 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2004, 10:35:57 PM by Handzus26 »

Believe me, Allyson Schwartz is far left and there is no doubt about it. To even say Section 8 reform is being used because candidates cannot bring up denying minority voting and use of same lunch counter is RIDICULOUS. Tell me something, what is so bad about fixing a ruined system? Section 8 has caused the crime rate and drug presence to rise. Don't argue that with me because it has happened in NE Philly. Doesn't matter about the race because as I said earlier people of ALL races are living in Section 8. When neighborhoods are falling apart, we need someone who is willing to FIX them.

And Section 8 isn't Melissa Brown's only issues. Her main focus is on Medical malpractice reform and tort reform something Schwartz can never match up to Brown on. So please don't sit there and say that Brown's only issue is Section 8.

With a Republican lead in both houses of Congress and the White House, why isn't the problem fixed?  And what makes you so sure Melissa Brown can single-handedly fix it?  I feel the PHA is better equipped to handle the problems locally.  Medical malpractice isn't an issue that voters are exactly 100% sympathetic towards doctors on.  What about patient's rights?  You have to remember that 40% of the population in the Northeast are elderly and I'm sure they want some kind of protection when a doctor f--ks up.    Her Bush loving antics as shown in the Northeast Times and her "eulogy" on Reagan shows this.  She was the only politican to praise Reagan's tax cuts in her "eulogy."  Other politicans were more classy.  I know I'm not the only one here catching on!  

Please, I'm begging you... GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR @SS!!  Where are you getting this information from?  Why can't you give me a reason WHY I should buy into these policies.  Honestly, I'm sure you go to Catholic school and you fall hook-line and sinker with their views.  Do you realize that anti-abortion issues skew against poorer women than wealthier ones.  I feel the Catholic church is severely out of touch with reality.  80% of Northeast Philadelphia Catholics agree with me on this. I will give you the courtesy of why I oppose Bush's tax cuts:

1.  The top rate has dropped dramatically from the Clinton Admintistration (39.6% to 35%) while the middle brackets were only a pittance compared to this.

2.  Pell grants and other federal financial aid dropped dramtically sicne the end of the Clinton Administration to pay for these reckless tax cuts.  When you get to college and your applying for financial aid, prepare for sticker shock with less financial aid than I had!

3.  Bush managed to squander a $1 trillion surplus into a $7 trillion deficit.  Who has this "phantom" money?  Wealthier people and foreign countires.  If we can't pay this, there is a potential national security issue here.  And of course a lot of this interest payable is tax free and not caught by the AMT.  I can post a whole other thread on the War.  Don't give me that argument.

If you or any YR can give me a better argument, I would love to hear it.  Somehow all I'm probably going to get from you is Section 8 and medical malpractice and Schwartz is too"liberal".  I think people are getting tired of hearing that smokescreened word to distort a canaidate.  

I am a lifelong Northeast Philadelphia resident and a proud Democrat.  I have a very good grasp of the issues both locally, nationally and abroad.  I also have a very good grasp of Catholic teaching (though I do not agree with a good portion of it).  I have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, a good understanding of federal, state, and lcoal tax laws, and work for the government.  

CONCLUSION: MELISSA BROWN IS WRONG FOR CONGRESS!!!  
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2004, 10:37:20 PM »

I believe Allyson Schwartz will win this race and here's why:

-Although not directly in the district, both Nick Berg and Paul Johnson were from the Philly area and their executions has turned the region against the war, and hence voters will be less likely to support Bush Jr.

-Out here in the suburbs those who actually know Dr. Brown see her as having a mean, nasty personality (which may or may not be true, as I only know people who know her, I don't know her personally).

-She's not Ellen Bard.  I thought the GOP really blew their chance at the primaries by not electing Bard who is extremely popular in the 153rd with an 80% approval rating.

-Pat Toomey is off the ballot.  I think this will keep some of the neo-cons home on Election Day who would have voted for Brown.

-Hoeffel beat Brown at a time of historically high Presidential approval ratings, and now that the ratings have sagged considerably, I see a lot of those who perhaps backed Brown in 2002, switching to Schwartz.

However, Brown can also capitalize on the fact that Schwartz lives in Jenkintown which is slightly outside the 13th district (though gerrymandering didn't help look at the 8-13 border).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »

First off I'll ask, why can't you keep you're cool? You seem to flip out everytime this is brought up. Remain calm. We obviously disagree but I'll give you some reasons to support Brown...

1) Section 8. You know that it needs serious reform and you know it. Sending Schwartz to Congress won't help the reforming process

2) Medical Malpractice. Docs are being driven out of the state and we need to make sure our seniors don't have to worry whether or not their doctor will be able to stay in the area.

3) You dislike John Street yet you continue to back candidates that praise him in every way saying how great he is for the city. You and I know Street is not good for Philly, that's why people and buisness are leaving. Vote for someone that will fight for our area and won't throw her support behind someone that obviously isn't helping NE Philadelphians at all.

I really hope you consider supporting Brown because its for our own good.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2004, 10:59:33 PM »

First off I'll ask, why can't you keep you're cool? You seem to flip out everytime this is brought up. Remain calm. We obviously disagree but I'll give you some reasons to support Brown...

1) Section 8. You know that it needs serious reform and you know it. Sending Schwartz to Congress won't help the reforming process

2) Medical Malpractice. Docs are being driven out of the state and we need to make sure our seniors don't have to worry whether or not their doctor will be able to stay in the area.

3) You dislike John Street yet you continue to back candidates that praise him in every way saying how great he is for the city. You and I know Street is not good for Philly, that's why people and buisness are leaving. Vote for someone that will fight for our area and won't throw her support behind someone that obviously isn't helping NE Philadelphians at all.

I really hope you consider supporting Brown because its for our own good.

I only disagree with John Street because of the way he treated Mary Kohler and the fact he's racist.  I also don't like his "pay to play" system and the fact he's corrupt.  Believe me I needed about a gallon of Maalox after I voted Katz.  After I found out he bilked investors out of $2 million and a court forced him to pay people back, I would have withheld my vote there as well.  He would have been worse than Street IHMO.  I will definitely be pushing for Johnny Doc for mayor in 2007.    

Giving the Republicans the red carpet to Philadelphia will be a disaster.  Wall Street would have definitely downgraded our bond rating, which btw, is pretty decent.  I do not like John Perzel either.  I feel it is time to give him the boot from the 172nd district though I think Kearney is a weak candidate.  This guy is trying to use his power in the state legislature to hook up his buddies as well.  He is like a father who tells his 18 year old son not to have sex, yet he is having sex with a girl from his son's class.  Do you see what I'm saying?  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2004, 11:06:23 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2004, 11:14:13 PM by Keystone Phil »

Unfortunatley for you, Perzel won't be leaving anytime soon. The district is safe for him. Katz would have been a great mayor for the city and there should be NO DOUBT that a change in city leadership (by electing Republicans) is needed, badly. As for 2007, I don't know who the GOP will be running. Rizzo has talked about it but possibly running as a Dem which I don't like. '99 and '03 were the GOP's years to take back City Hall. We came close in '99 and you know the story about last years campaign. 2007 is gonna be an uphill battle for us.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2004, 11:15:53 PM »

Unfortunatley for you, Perzel won't be leaving anytime soon. The district is safe for him. Katz would have been a great mayor for the city and there should be NO DOUBT that a change in city leadership (by election Republicans) is needed, badly. As for 2007, I don't know who the GOP will be running. Rizzo has talked about it but possibly running as a Dem which I don't like. '99 and '03 were the GOP's years to take back City Hall. We came close in '99 and you know the story about last years campaign. 2007 is gonna be an uphill battle for us.

Actually in 2000, if his opponent only got 97 votes more, Perzel would have been unseated.  I feel the Democrats need a heavy hitter to unseat him.  That would put a huge blow in the PA GOP.  It's not impossible given the blue collar nature of the district.  The guy running against him works a third shift at a WaWa on Oxford Ave. in Fox Chase.  Not kidding!  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2004, 11:17:08 PM »

You forgot about re-districting that occured after 2000. Yes, Perzel BARELY survived that election but his seat is now safe. In 2002, he won re-election with 88% of the vote.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2004, 11:27:16 PM »

was he challenged by a Dem?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2004, 11:28:35 PM »

Yes he was
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2004, 11:32:30 PM »

I'm sorry...alittle correction. Speaker Perzel won re-election over Democrat Paul Prior with 82% of the vote...not 88%.

PERZEL, JOHN M. (REP) 17,498
PRIOR, PAUL (DEM) 3,914

http://web.dos.state.pa.us/perl/elections/elec_results/dsf/district2.cgi?choice=STH&district=172&eyear=2002&etype=G

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2004, 12:20:44 AM »

I hate to say it, I think the seat is safe as well.  Perzel can shower the district with grants like Santa Claus.  Of course no one that follows politics is going to question.  Like I said ebfore, we need a heavy hitter and a left-centrist to unseat him.  Not impossible though.  Tim Kearney is not it.    
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2004, 12:22:58 AM »

What % ya think he'll get against Perzel this year? It can't be much we know that.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2004, 12:42:42 AM »

What % ya think he'll get against Perzel this year? It can't be much we know that.

It will be higher say 35% due to Bush sinking and some people are lazy and will hit "straight Democratic".  My prediction:

Perzel: 65%
Kearney: 35%

Problem is the latter guy is invisible.  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2004, 12:44:48 AM »

That seems about right though I could see Perzel doing alittle better.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies