PA 13 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:51:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA 13 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30
Author Topic: PA 13  (Read 327911 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: June 16, 2004, 09:25:18 PM »

I'm a Melissa Brown supporter and she is bound to be our next Congresswoman. Finally we'll have a member of Congress that actually works hard and will be noticed for it here in PA13 and in DC.  Allyson Schwartz is just too liberal for this district. Also, Brown is well known here and liked. The issues: Section 8 reform, Medical Malpractice crisis, tort reform and lower taxes. Brown knows her stuff and the people like where she stands on these things. Count PA13 as a pickup for the GOP!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 10:07:47 PM »

In what way are you surprised?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 10:38:57 PM »

Please.  I'm trying to put that race behind me. It was tough to see Toomey lose. I supported the man when he was down 30 pts in the polls, watched him climb within 2 points and watched his concession speech. It was difficult. We can have our arguments but now we just have to make sure Hoeffel doesn't get in there. He is my Congressman and he can disguise himself as Mr. Moderate Democrat but is a very partisan liberal.

Toomey will be back though...don't you worry! Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 10:41:54 PM »

Greenwood? Cmon you gotta be kidding me!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 10:52:11 PM »

I can see his reason for supporting Hoeffel. (I guess thats what he's doing...?) Many conservatives are so enraged by yet another Specter win. We took it hard. Conservatives don't want to see him chair the Judiciary (myself being one of them) but we conservatives CANNOT throw our support behind Joe Hoeffel. Believe me, I know his record and it could be considered (when looking at a number of votes) Far left.

As for the many in my picture, he is one of my favorites in politics. However, I don't applaud his support of Senator Specter but that's a whole different story.

I agree with you that the last thing Pennsylania needs is Hoeffel/Hafer and I'll say it now that Pennsylvania won't be electing either of them to the U.S. Senate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 11:04:33 PM »

No one thinks Leahy would be better. Most think the GOP will keep the Senate and probably BUILD on its majority. They want Specter to lose, have the D's pick that one up, and get Jon Kyl as the Judiciary Chair.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 11:19:22 PM »

I believe that if Toomey was the nominee here, we would beat Joe Hoeffel. I honestly believe that. Joe Hoeffel has a liberal record that would not sit well with a statewide electorate. Hoeffel can't win with the views he holds. Would it have been close? Yes. It would have been a real fight but we have to fight for what we believe in.

Pat Toomey agrees with President Bush on almost every social issue. Is President Bush an extreme social conservative? Nope. Neither is Pat Toomey. He holds the traditional values of the Republican party just as the President does.

You're right there is no guarantee that we will hold the Senate but chances are, we will and will build on the majority we have.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 11:37:37 PM »

You support Lisa Murkowski, correct? Well in order to save that seat we will be pouring tons of money into that race. We need to keep Oklahoma in GOP hands, too. In Alaska the moderate to liberal Murkowski would be a weaker candidate to popular Knowles. In Oklahoma Humphreys is the moderate candidate and would be considered the weakest candidate against Congressman Carson.  Here's my point: why is it that when a conservative Republican wants a chance to defend the seat and needs money they are rejected. But when two moderates want to defend their seat and want money, they get it. Why? It might be hard to understand what I'm getting at so I'll try this...

The NRSC, in your opinion, would have to "waste" money defending this seat for a conservative. Why is it ok then to waste money defending a seat in AK and OK for a moderate when our chances are much better with the more conservative challengers?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 11:39:28 PM »

nclib, a Hoeffel win and a Kerry win would result in a split and Leahy chair, correct. However there are other races and other pickups for both parties. The Dems could take PA but lose SC, GA, and FL leaving us with a net gain of seats. The Dems won't be taking the Senate this year.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 10:37:10 AM »

I highly doubt Schwartz will win. Highly doubt it. Once her record is out people will realize just how far left she is. Voters in PA13 know Melissa Brown better than most candidates. They know her views and like her positions.

As for Hoeffel, what has he done with Section 8? He is no where close to Melissa Brown when it comes to leadership on the issue.

As for the comment about having a black person move into a neighborhood and that's what people up here are afraid of...that is just ridiculous. Section 8 has members of both races and your race doesn't have to do with why its a problem. People see the problems with it and want it fixed. They want someone that will actually fight for their neighborhood rather than "talk" about doing it.

In the end, Schwartz will lose...by a pretty comfortable margin. I'm not calling for a 60%-40% Brown win but maybe a 53%-47% victory. On Nov. 2nd voters will see that Melissa Brown has been the real fighter for PA13 over the years.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 11:07:54 AM »

Believe me, social conservatives in the GOP didn't just started appearing in the last 35 years.

I'll agree that Toomey probably wouldn't carry Montco or Bucks but he'd certainly take a good amount of votes in both. Part of his dist (PA15) is in Montco. To say he wouldn't win Chester and Delaware is a bit of a stretch.

Toomey's "claims to fame" aren't just winning by healthy margins in a Dem district but if he was the general election candidate one claim of his would be known throughout PA: Toomey is the guy that beat Arlen Specter, the 4 term incumbent, a powerful Senator, someone with WAY more money and many more big name endorsements. And that would be one claim that would never be forgotten in PA politics.  Like I've said before...Toomey will be back.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 06:04:13 PM »

Well I was at the Bush Cheney rally in Ft. Washington where I heard our GREAT First Lady Laura Bush and PA13's next Congresswoman Melissa Brown speak so I wasn't able to respond to these posts earlier today.

1) Melissa Brown is not "as good as a Democrat" on social issues. Yes, she's pro choice and I don't agree with her on that but she is in no way as good as a Dem.

2) Melissa Brown's only issue isn't Section 8. She is focusing on Medical Maplpractice, tort reform, tax cuts too.

3) You won't be keeping this seat. Trust me. Scwartz  = WAY TOO LIBERAL for PA13. That's it. Plus, the voters know Melissa Brown and like her positions.

4) Hoeffel isn't a leader on Section 8. Wanna know why? More and more section 8 keeps appearing in the Northeast.

5) Handzus26 mentions that Schwartz needs "blue collar support" Well Melissa Brown possibly getting the Teamsters endorsement doesn't help her in that area.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 06:29:08 PM »

It does lean Republican. Thank you! But it certainly isn't a "small, micro" lean  Grin
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 06:35:15 PM »

Hoeffel isn't a strong candidate. Some think this run is just a warm up for a possible 2006 run against Santorum.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 06:43:15 PM »

Torsella won't run for Senate. Maybe he'll try another run for Congress. Senate is just out of the question when you have so many D's possibly running in '06 that have been elected and Torsella hasn't held office.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 10:35:56 AM »

Hoeffel (D) - 51%
Brown (R) - 47%
McDermott (C) - 2%

Allyson Schwartz - a far left liberal who MOVED INTO the district. She doesn't know the district or the people nearly as well as Melissa Brown. You can say that people here really dislike Bush and that is what will prevent Brown from doing well but look at '02. Rendell won this district by a HUGE margin and yet Brown was able to come within 4 points.

And if Joe Torsella was in the race it would still be a competitive because voters know Brown better. It would be a tougher race, I'll admit, but certainly still competitive.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2004, 12:46:04 PM »

The Section 8 issue is not an issue based on race. Some take it that way but the fact of the matter is Section 8 includes people of all races. It's the fact that Section 8 is ruining neighborhoods with higher crime rates and drugs. This issue will not go away during this campaign. It's obvious that the people of the district want change. They're heard all the talk from Hoeffel and others but nothing has been done to improve the the situation. Reform is needed and it will be achieved when Dr. Brown gets to Congress.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2004, 02:12:04 PM »

Brown grew up in Tennesse but spent her adult life and raised her family in PA. Are you actually going to make fun of the college the woman went to? That's really childish. It certainly doesn't matter what college she went to since she ran a small buisness and is an experienced doctor. If you want to argue about something, don't use "who ever heard of that college" as an arguement.

When it comes to knowing PA13 Melissa Brown knows it better than any other candidate. Schwartz representsa small part of PA13 as a state senator but doesn't come close to the knowledge Brown has about the area.

If the election was held today, you bet Melissa Brown would win. And when it is held on Nov. 2nd, the result will be the same.

Handzus, I noticed the picture of Governor Rendell as your signature...did you vote for him in the '02 primary or did you back Casey?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2004, 02:21:34 PM »

Oh and I forgot to add, as you tried to make a point of Brown growing up in TN, right? Then you said that Schwartz grew up close to the district. I didn't think you would consider NEW YORK CITY close to the district.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2004, 09:18:30 PM »

I brought up the residency because Brown has been in this district MUCH longer and knows more about it than Schwartz. For some reason you brought up where Brown was born and educated which I found no point in.

You're right about Melissa Brown supporting the President. She makes it known that she backs Bush and the people of the 13th will prefer her support of Bush (though most are against him) to Schwartz's far left views.

We can argue why we support each candidate and we can debate the issues but here is where you have to agree with me. You're not BRTD, you're not migrendel...you live in the district as I do. We both know Brown has the edge in the race.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2004, 09:40:12 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2004, 09:41:40 PM by Keystone Phil »

Believe me, Allyson Schwartz is far left and there is no doubt about it. To even say Section 8 reform is being used because candidates cannot bring up denying minority voting and use of same lunch counter is RIDICULOUS. Tell me something, what is so bad about fixing a ruined system? Section 8 has caused the crime rate and drug presence to rise. Don't argue that with me because it has happened in NE Philly. Doesn't matter about the race because as I said earlier people of ALL races are living in Section 8. When neighborhoods are falling apart, we need someone who is willing to FIX them.

And Section 8 isn't Melissa Brown's only issues. Her main focus is on Medical malpractice reform and tort reform something Schwartz can never match up to Brown on. So please don't sit there and say that Brown's only issue is Section 8.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »

First off I'll ask, why can't you keep you're cool? You seem to flip out everytime this is brought up. Remain calm. We obviously disagree but I'll give you some reasons to support Brown...

1) Section 8. You know that it needs serious reform and you know it. Sending Schwartz to Congress won't help the reforming process

2) Medical Malpractice. Docs are being driven out of the state and we need to make sure our seniors don't have to worry whether or not their doctor will be able to stay in the area.

3) You dislike John Street yet you continue to back candidates that praise him in every way saying how great he is for the city. You and I know Street is not good for Philly, that's why people and buisness are leaving. Vote for someone that will fight for our area and won't throw her support behind someone that obviously isn't helping NE Philadelphians at all.

I really hope you consider supporting Brown because its for our own good.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2004, 11:06:23 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2004, 11:14:13 PM by Keystone Phil »

Unfortunatley for you, Perzel won't be leaving anytime soon. The district is safe for him. Katz would have been a great mayor for the city and there should be NO DOUBT that a change in city leadership (by electing Republicans) is needed, badly. As for 2007, I don't know who the GOP will be running. Rizzo has talked about it but possibly running as a Dem which I don't like. '99 and '03 were the GOP's years to take back City Hall. We came close in '99 and you know the story about last years campaign. 2007 is gonna be an uphill battle for us.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2004, 11:17:08 PM »

You forgot about re-districting that occured after 2000. Yes, Perzel BARELY survived that election but his seat is now safe. In 2002, he won re-election with 88% of the vote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2004, 11:28:35 PM »

Yes he was
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies