UK Conference Season 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:14:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Conference Season 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: UK Conference Season 2006  (Read 2306 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 12:20:37 AM »
« edited: October 03, 2006, 12:23:16 AM by Michael Z »

Most interesting thing to happen at the Tory conference so far, is Osbourne getting slapped down by just about everyone for making an ill-advised joke about autism.

Apparently the joke was made by some journalist and Osborne basically didn't disagree with him, which isn't necessarily something I would describe as "causing distress to hundreds", or whatever it was the pressure group in question said, and I'm speaking as someone who's related to a diagnosed autist (and furthermore speaking as someone who is fairly convinced he is autistic or at least semi-autistic but was simply never diagnosed with it, but that's another subject altogether). To me, it seems to be a lot of hot air. The media basically wanted something, anything, to portray the Tories as still being the nasty party and they got it, even if it was some off-the-cuff remark in an obscure fringe meeting.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 02:14:20 AM »

To me, it seems to be a lot of hot air. The media basically wanted something, anything, to portray the Tories as still being the nasty party and they got it, even if it was some off-the-cuff remark in an obscure fringe meeting.

I would agree with you there. I myself was diagnosed with Aspergers years ago (however weak it is now after years of work) and Osborne was not causing offence. The media has also ran with the 'no tax cuts' party division story as if it was the buzz of the conference hall. After watching the conference and corresponding with people who are actually there they seem perplexed as to why the media have run-away with a small issue.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 05:25:54 AM »

The media always report their own angle, not the angle that people at or running a Conference would like them to (and etc).

Personally I think the Maude story is far more interesting than the Osborne one Grin
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 01:35:37 PM »

I put my hand on my heart and swear to you all that I am not in ' partisan spin mode' here Smiley (Okay maybe a little)

David Cameron's speech was exceptional, an in the audience with the dwindling but still formidable blue rinse brigade, brave. His focus on the NHS was unexpected and welcome (and one that got a nod of approval from my Labour voting mum). His foreign policy blue-print was also promising. Under Tony Blair our Foreign Office has becoming nothing more than an extension of the White House, it is no longer independent (which explains part of the now forgotten rumour behind why Jack Straw was removed as Foreign Secretary; as he was not palatable to White House tastes) and no longer represents the interests of Britain first and foremost. I want to see an independent foreign policy that compliments our American ally but is not bound to them. Finally, and again so unexpected it delightfully ruffled the old guards feathers, was Camerons support for all long term relationships as being stable and commendable, including gay and lesbian couples. It means alot to people like myself to hear that said. A well delivered and appreciated speech.

almost dropped my mug of tea
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 01:57:27 PM »

It were just a load of fluff obviously aimed at wavering LibDem voters Tongue

O/c to be fair to Cameron, Party Leader speeches at Conferences are always fluff these days.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2006, 06:27:19 PM »

Finally, and again so unexpected it delightfully ruffled the old guards feathers, was Camerons support for all long term relationships as being stable and commendable, including gay and lesbian couples. It means alot to people like myself to hear that said. A well delivered and appreciated speech.

That it did Grin, however, if he wants to prove his metal and ruffle a few more, Cameron should have used his speech as an opportunity to have his 'Kruschev Moment' Wink, if you know what I mean

Dave
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 04:14:13 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2006, 04:18:15 AM by Michael Z »

I have to say it was quite a daring speech. I have a feeling most of the Tory Party are simply putting up with Cameron's liberal stance on civil partnerships or the NHS because he's doing well in the polls. This, may, however change, should the polls start looking badly. Who knows. Or maybe the Tories really aren't as bigoted and intolerant as I used to think they were (though I do remember the days of the John Major government, and that really was a grim time - whenever Dazzleman says how sh**tty things were under Carter, switch "Carter" for "Major" and "1979/80" for "1994/95" and that's me).

But I actually found Hague's speech even more interesting. Here's a man who once ran the most xenophobic electoral campaign in history categorically ruling out that Britain would leave the EU under a Conservative government. How I long for a Tory party finally putting its Europhobic days behind it and thus no longer poisoning political discourse in this country.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies