Tanks appear in Bangkok - reports
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:25:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Tanks appear in Bangkok - reports
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Tanks appear in Bangkok - reports  (Read 4149 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2006, 03:13:49 PM »

"Party of Democratic Reform"? Has the Democratic Party renamed, or was there a merger?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »

Isn't this too newsworthy for the media to report on? Are they talking about how this affects the Jon Benet case?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2006, 04:25:44 PM »

Lets hope Thaskin is safely returned to power.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2006, 05:44:04 PM »

More rumours - they are saying now that the coup is 'complete', and that the main army forces are simply going back to their barracks, and that the King will appoint an Government tomorrow!

I have no idea if this is just talk.

The baht has fallen a bit, even against the incredibly weak U.S. Dollar.  Also I read that the U.S. stock market is down a bit on this coup.

Might not be too bad a time for you to get outa Dodge and head on back to the good ole USA until things blow over.

David S... are you feeling okay?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2006, 06:06:24 PM »

I hope that if Thaksin is ousted that the military will allow for their to be elections as soon as possible or the King forces his hand and holds elections as soon as possible. The last thing that Thailand or Southeast Asia needs is another Myanmar.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2006, 06:49:44 PM »

BBC News states that Thaksin is officially ousted now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5361512.stm
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2006, 06:58:47 PM »

Ah, so Reuters beat the BBC again? Wink
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2006, 07:04:59 PM »

I wonder if he will fly back?  If he wants to counter this, he could fly in with the world media with him and confront the general. 

I doubt this is really over.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2006, 07:37:03 PM »

More rumours - they are saying now that the coup is 'complete', and that the main army forces are simply going back to their barracks, and that the King will appoint an Government tomorrow!

The baht has fallen a bit, even against the incredibly weak U.S. Dollar.  Also I read that the U.S. stock market is down a bit on this coup.

Might not be too bad a time for you to get outa Dodge and head on back to the good ole USA until things blow over.

Knowing the Mr O would not do anything I suggested, my plan was to wait until they throw him in jail and then say "I told ya so!"
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2006, 07:59:33 PM »

Knowing the Mr O would not do anything I suggested, my plan was to wait until they throw him in jail and then say "I told ya so!"

Unfortunately in this case, the junta is not likely to do anything to foreigners,
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2006, 08:13:59 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Apparently things are already back to "business as usual".
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2006, 08:35:53 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Apparently things are already back to "business as usual".

Does that mean another coup is happening?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2006, 08:38:22 PM »

The coup has pretty much happened; we just have to wait for Thaksin's response.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2006, 09:01:02 PM »

Yes I know. You said things were back to business as normal, which for Thailand is a coup hence I asked if ANOTHER coup was happening. It was a joke jEW. God! Wink
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2006, 09:47:32 PM »

Wow... we have our own reporter on the ground in Thailand.

Opebo... can you describe the current situation to us?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2006, 10:25:11 PM »

"Party of Democratic Reform"? Has the Democratic Party renamed, or was there a merger?

It's a blanket term for the opposition parties I believe.

Lets hope Thaskin is safely returned to power.

HAHAHAHAHHHAHA

No, that POS is getting exactly what he deserves.

Has that general arrested over that "assasination" plot a few weeks ago been freed yet?
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2006, 11:45:57 PM »

This is a good thing.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2006, 12:55:46 AM »

Love this pic:

"Thug-sin". haha
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2006, 02:38:19 AM »

um...why are the signs in English?

Can you say 'staged'?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2006, 06:31:18 AM »

Yes I know. You said things were back to business as normal, which for Thailand is a coup hence I asked if ANOTHER coup was happening. It was a joke jEW. God! Wink

OMG phag
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2006, 07:10:23 AM »

It has been reported that Thaksin will arrive in the UK later today

While I have no respect whatsover for Thaksin, I must say I disapprove of military coups

There's only one man who can resolve this 'crisis' and that Thailand's revered King, who I do respect

Still, the military have said that the new government will be transitionary until such time as a new constitution is written, which will be followed by fresh parliamentary elections in a years time

Only time will tell if this coup does, indeed, change things for the better in the long-term

Dave
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 01:32:06 PM »

I hope that if Thaksin is ousted that the military will allow for their to be elections as soon as possible or the King forces his hand and holds elections as soon as possible. The last thing that Thailand or Southeast Asia needs is another Myanmar.
Obviously elections as soon as possible (or even, at the scheduled date later this year) would mean Thaksin isn't ousted, but either returned safely to power, or (if all else fails) using the same trick the opposition used recently, ie continuing interim governments.
Thence, no new elections until next year, and a new constitution that will probably remove the current one's insane quorum.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2006, 06:31:29 AM »

There's only one man who can resolve this 'crisis' and that Thailand's revered King, who I do respect

Sorry for the delay - for some weird reason the Atlas didn't work for me for a couple of days. 

The King gave his approval fairly clearly about a day after the coup - he said that all Thais should refrain from violence or conflict, and that all civil servants should 'listen to' the orders of General Sonthi Boonyaratkalin.   

Since then of course there was a formal ceremony of acceptance of Sonthi by the King.  Interestingly there is a story of a coup leader not being accepted by the King - I think it was around 1980.  The King, his entire household, entourage, royal guard, and Prem all fled to Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima), and sat up there for quite some time, protected by Prem's loyalist troops.  Although Prem did not hold Bangkok, and the coup leaders did, without the King they could not cling to power and soon gave in, followed by another 8 years of the benevolent dictatorship of General Prem (not coincidentally the 1980's were the prime years for Thai growth and more importantly for the THai sex industry).

Presumably this will be the King's last hurrah.  I must admit that aside from my glee at getting rid of the family-values Thaksin and Thai Rak Thai, I enjoyed seeing the old monarch put that presumptuous would-be dictator in his place - and from his sick bed!  The old man is still recovering from back surgery.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2006, 06:34:27 AM »

I wonder if he will fly back?  If he wants to counter this, he could fly in with the world media with him and confront the general.

He can't - he'd be arrested.   No, he's better off to live his life of luxurious exile in London.

I thought the same - or rather feared the same - and there were rumours of 'the other team' in the army showing up on the outskirts of Bangkok more recently.  But the King has spoken very clearly on the subject, and accepted Sonthi, so it really is over.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2006, 06:42:10 AM »

Wow... we have our own reporter on the ground in Thailand.

Opebo... can you describe the current situation to us?

Sadly, I was unable to access the Atlas for a couple of days - did anyone else have this trouble?

I can say that Thais were very nervous for about 2 days because of the rumours that the generals from THaksin's class at the academny were going to move on bangkok - there were rumours of tanks on the outskirts.  But everyone is totally relaxed now that the King has made his preference very clear. 

I was  upcountry in Isaan when it happened, and a fair number of people didn't like it (Isaan and the North are Thaksin's support bases).  I then traveled by bus to Bangkok but didn't leave the Mochit bus terminal - just changed to the bus to Pattaya.  But while in the bus terminal I noticed about a dozen soldiers around keeping an eye on things, and then a fairly robust military checkpoint at the entrances to check the buses - however they did not check us.  Mochit is HUGE, so a couple of dozen soldiers were like a drop in the bucket. 

Unsurprisingly I saw no military presence here in Pattaya.  Sadly nothing had changed so far - bars still sort of closing about 1:00 or 2:00, and still a good deal of police harrassment of the girls on the Beach Road.  Hopefully this will change.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies