Edwards for President!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:27:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Edwards for President!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Edwards for President!!  (Read 6432 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2004, 05:41:39 PM »

I knew GHWB wasn't that good and I wasn't sure about Clinton, hence my vote for Perot.  Clinton was better than I thought he would be, though.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2004, 09:26:40 PM »

I knew GHWB wasn't that good and I wasn't sure about Clinton, hence my vote for Perot.  Clinton was better than I thought he would be, though.
YUP! He was the Comeback Kid! He will be known as one of our Greatest Presidents in History.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2004, 10:35:57 PM »

YUP! He was the Comeback Kid! He will be known as one of our Greatest Presidents in History.
No he won't be.  But he was very good.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2004, 04:45:34 AM »

Edwards does not need a good showing in NH, and anything over 10% would look very good for him.
In Oklahoma (Clark's make or break state) Clark has a modest lead over Edwards.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2004, 09:58:24 AM »

Edwards does not need a good showing in NH, and anything over 10% would look very good for him.
In Oklahoma (Clark's make or break state) Clark has a modest lead over Edwards.

Edwards problem is that 4th places are never very good. The media spotlight will be on the top 3, depending on who does badly and who does well. If Clark or Dean survives, or Kerry gets a big mo going, Edwards will have a tough time outside SC on Feb 3rd.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2004, 07:45:57 PM »

I think Edwards overtakes Clark in Oklahoma.  Just a feeling....
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2004, 08:48:55 PM »

I think Edwards overtakes Clark in Oklahoma.  Just a feeling....
Agreed.  Clark is falling, and IF (big if) Edwards finishes ahead of clark in NH, Clark is done.

JE2K4
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2004, 08:56:27 PM »

Yeah, with all the resources put into NH by Clark, being overtaken by Edwards would definitely be the end of his campaign.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2004, 08:56:58 PM »

Yeah, with all the resources put into NH by Clark, being overtaken by Edwards would definitely be the end of his campaign.
Agreed.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2004, 09:17:56 PM »

Edwards just delivered an amazing speech at a candidates dinner party in NH, Carville is on the ball when he says that JR is the best stump speaker he's ever seen because Edwards was just flawless.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2004, 09:47:04 PM »

Edwards is probably the best chance Democrats have at beating Bush.

That said, his chances aren't all that good.

I see Edwards as Bob Dole in 1996.  Had potential but ultimately lost due to lack of organization and money and an inability to unite a very divided party.  Edwards would NOT get the vote of Dean/Kucinich/Sharpton voters, and that's a big block he'll *need* if he's going to win the general election.  He'd also be unable to win any part of the south, even his own home state.

I see Edwards as the most likely VP candidate for the Dems, probably the runningmate of Kerry.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2004, 09:49:07 PM »

Edwards can win LA, AR, TN and perhaps even GA. It's not impossible. Dean had no chance in hell of winning any of these. It won't be a landslide obviously, but nominating a moderate southern Democrat will definately hurt Bush.

Edwards would NOT win Georgia.  There's just no way.  Bush is at 60+% here right now; he's extremely popular in the Peach State.

I can't speak for the other states mentioned, but I would predict an easy Bush win in Tennessee and Arkansas, with a very likely win in Louisiana.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2004, 10:05:00 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2004, 10:18:10 PM by emergingDmajority1 »

The far left of the party is very angry, they'll turn out in massive number for an inanimate carbon rod. Forget the war, it's still anger from the 2000 election.

Edwards will bring them together, and this supposed divide between the left and center of the democrat party is overrated and becoming more patched up every day, while the far right hijacked the GOP in the early-mid 90's, the far left's chance of hijacking the party died in Iowa.

I see no comparison to Dole, you're talking about a crusty 73 year old warhorse over a very slick, very handsome and electable democratic southerner. He may not win in the south, but he doesn't need to, just make bush spend resources there. Edwards needs Missouri though, and I think he can take it. Who knows, maybe he can pull of West Virginia too.

dole just had no chance from the beginning, he was irritable and just plain old. People were hesitant of voting for a 73 year old disabled man. I respect Dole for his service but it was never meant to be.

The Sharpton/Kucinich/Dean wing is much much smaller than you think. Sharpton is just a disgrace and is in it for himself. The clown has barely raised any money and I'm sure he just follows the candidates in a van.  
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2004, 10:20:59 PM »

The right will turn out eqully strong to stop a Massachusetts liberal like Kerry.  Perhaps overall voter turnout will increase for a change.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2004, 10:37:32 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2004, 10:38:29 PM by emergingDmajority1 »

It could happen, Kerry is a little stiff and wooden, but far from Goreish, even though the guy is brilliant, the image did him in and the folksy Bush won 'em over.

I don't think GOP turnout will be about the same with kerry, because he doesn't really rile up the party, I don't think Kerry inspires hate. Bush inspires hate in the Dems, Dean with some of the things he says, and the Clintons inspire hate, they mobilize the oposition.

Kerry will do a good job of putting the Dems together, but not as good as Edwards, we'd look at a 50-48 Bush win, and I guess nader will run to piss us off and get his 1.5 or whatever.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2004, 10:43:53 PM »

You think Nader will run?  Even though he has even less chance of gaining the 5% threshhold for matching funds than he did last time?  I haven't been able to read that guy either way.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2004, 10:49:15 PM »

I'm pretty pessimistic about the whole nader situation, the little bugger has been quiet lately and it's rumored that he's being pressured not to run.

But I think Kerry will be too Bush-Lite in Naders eyes, as is Edwards. He might hold off on Dean or Clark, but I don't see them winning the nomination.

50-50 on nader running, but I'm prepared for the worst. He's too old to energize the base for 2.7 again and I think War/election 2000 anger will cause some greens to spill over to the Dems, but he can definitely get 1.3-1.5.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2004, 11:11:47 PM »

Saw him speak in college 20 yrs ago.  Man, that guy was the worst speaker I've ever seen.  Boring as heck.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2004, 07:56:44 AM »

Some Green is going to run, but I don't think it's going to be Nader. I don't think whoever will get much over 0,5%.
Anyway Nader was deserted in droves by voters in those states where it mattered the last time around. Wherever the polls were close, or wherever Bush was campaigning in fact, Nader did worse in the Election than in the polls. Where a Nader vote didn't hurt anyone that didn't happen. So Alaska and Montana were some of his best results...

He did fairly well in MN.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies