Greenberg: Rural vote not as republican as it use to be
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:09:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Greenberg: Rural vote not as republican as it use to be
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Greenberg: Rural vote not as republican as it use to be  (Read 1827 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2006, 01:57:21 PM »
« edited: September 22, 2006, 02:02:52 PM by Quincy »

http://politicalwire.com/
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 02:06:51 PM »

I'll believe it when I see it at the polls. The New York Times had an article today about farmers being pissed at Republicans because they can't get the Mexican farm workers they need because of recent crackdowns on illegal immigration. A lot of their produce and money is going to waste for lack of workers.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 02:19:51 PM »

I think the rural voters want to hand over the House to Dems but they want to keep the Senate GOP because they are afraid Dems won't pass free trade treaties.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 02:20:53 PM »

Of course not, they have supplied a lot of the cannon fodder for Bush's war.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 09:10:55 PM »

I think the rural voters want to hand over the House to Dems but they want to keep the Senate GOP because they are afraid Dems won't pass free trade treaties.

Good lord man, free trade has hurt rural people more than any other group!

And to be honest, most rural people don't have a friggin' clue when it comes to trade issues.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 09:19:32 PM »

And to be honest, most rural people don't have a friggin' clue when it comes to trade issues.
Congrats you just won the partisan hack award in my book!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 09:20:20 PM »

You say that free trade hurts rural voters, why did the GOP senators from the south vote for NAFTA and GAT the farmers like free trade from China, you are wrong.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 09:27:13 PM »

You say that free trade hurts rural voters, why did the GOP senators from the south vote for NAFTA and GAT

You just answered your own question. You really think the GOP votes in the best interest of their constituents? How naive are you?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 09:30:58 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2006, 09:32:54 PM by Quincy »

It doesn't necessarily outsource jobs. It helps other countries buy American products as well. China and other countries buy American products as well. Yes, it outsources jobs, but remember Clinton passed NAFTA and GATas well. It does both, not just one.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 09:38:53 PM »

The Dems senators from rural areas voted for NAFTA and GAT as well and the trade with China does help out farmers in the rural states.

Russ Feingold, Robert Byrd, Fritz Hollings, and other Democrats from rural states voted against it (Dorgan did not vote).

It's sad that you're been brainwashed by the free trade express. In theory, it was supposed to help, but in reality it has been a disaster for American workers.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 09:42:35 PM »

Kent Conrad, AL Gore, Bill Clinton, Mary Landrieu, Tom Daschle, Fitz Hollings, John Edwards, Mark Pryon, Blanch Lincoln, and Tim Johnson voted for it, all southern rural senators. I think it hurts but it can help as well.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 09:44:10 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2006, 09:46:14 PM by TheresNoMoney »

Kent Conrad, AL Gore, Bill Clinton, Mary Landrieu, Tom Daschle, Fitz Hollings, John Edwards, Mark Pryon, Blanch Lincoln voted for it, all southern rural senators.

Good lord, John Edwards, Mark Pryor, and Blanche Lincoln weren't even in the Senate when NAFTA and GATT were voted upon. Landrieu wasn't there for the NAFTA vote either.

And Fritz Hollings voted against NAFTA like I just mentioned in the post above yours.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 09:45:42 PM »

I challenge you to tell me how free trade has helped American workers.

Lower wages, millions and millions of jobs lost overseas and to Mexico, a low-skill, service-oriented economy....how is that a good thing? Please tell me. Facts not theory please.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 09:50:39 PM »

Tom Daschle voted for was and so was Tim Johnson. Any in 2000, Clinton passed pernament normal trade relations with China where the senators I named above were in the senate at the time. And China was the beneficiary of free trade agreements. As far as it helping Americans I already told you China, Mexico, and Canada buys products from Americans that's how it helps. Anyway, there was a bill to extend NAFTA and it passed overwhelmingly in the Senate. It doesn't matter because Clinton introduced the bill in the first place and so did AL Gore , you skipped over that.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 09:55:40 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2006, 10:09:46 PM by TheresNoMoney »

Never mind. You couldn't answer my question at all.

By the way, here is the roll call vote for NAFTA, which took place in 1993 (notice the "nay" votes from Conrad, Hollings, John Glenn, Feingold, Wellstone, etc.):

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=103&session=1&vote=00395

And you still can't tell me how any of these free trade deals helped American workers.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 09:56:21 PM »

It doesn't matter because Clinton introduced the bill in the first place and so did AL Gore , you skipped over that.

Both Clinton and Gore were quite horrible on trade issues during their two terms in the White House.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 10:56:37 AM »

Never mind. You couldn't answer my question at all.

By the way, here is the roll call vote for NAFTA, which took place in 1993 (notice the "nay" votes from Conrad, Hollings, John Glenn, Feingold, Wellstone, etc.):

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=103&session=1&vote=00395

And you still can't tell me how any of these free trade deals helped American workers.

Free trade helps us because we can buy really, really cheap stuff at Wal-Mart.  Everybody loves low prices.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 11:12:42 AM »

I don't think you have much a clue the real extent of the knowledge of rural voters. Most are highly knowledgable (especially the farmers) because they know what dictates their industry.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 12:16:53 PM »

Free trade helps us because we can buy really, really cheap stuff at Wal-Mart.  Everybody loves low prices.

Any cheap prices on goods are more than offset by declining wages and the declining disposable income of the middle and lower classes.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006, 01:36:24 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2006, 02:25:49 PM by Quincy »

Well the Clinton passed NAFTA and GATT and the unemployment rate went down, that can be argued.  And the incomes went up as well. 4.1% unemployment and incomes went up 1/3rd. And John Edwards made that the anchor of his primary and his vice presidential election speech and he lost both. So, did Pat Buchanan. If it is free and fair trade under Dems it is okay, but under republicans it is worst. Americans feel free trade is okay if it is okay. And most of the presidents in modern times have been elected based on free trade, Reagan, BushI, Clinton, and BushII all promised free trade. Republicans decline in wages and jobs yes, Dems no.

And all the Dems I named passed CAFTA which was a free trade agreement by Bush.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies