Atlas Presidential Debate Transcript
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:28:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Atlas Presidential Debate Transcript
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Presidential Debate Transcript  (Read 3074 times)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2004, 06:07:12 PM »

An edited transcript of the debate will be available on this thread when I post it, around 7:15-7:30 PM this evening. Please stay tuned.

YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 06:39:00 PM »

Edited?
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 06:55:49 PM »

It was held in an AIM chatroom, there was a bunch of extraneous stuff, statements broken off into two-three entries. I just made it readable.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 07:35:03 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2004, 07:36:42 PM by of_thisnation »

ATLAS FORUM PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES

Republican Candidate: Supersoulty (PA)
(R) VP:         Demrepdan (IL)
Democratic Candidate: Nym90 (MI)
(D) VP:       Harry (MS)

Debate moderator: of_thisnation

Gustafus13: The Republican candidate is having trouble with his tie... ;-)
dem rep Dan: *does some stretches*
ofthisnation: It's probably a clip-on
ofthisnation: zing!
MAS117: snap
supersoulty: Damn, I told you the RED tie
Nym90: Ok, how's that?
KEmperor3: woah, thats bright
MMAKI007: I can't adjust my size
ofthisnation: Alright, let's do this. Candidates ready?

ofthisnation: Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the Atlas Presidential Debates, with Democratic Senator Nym90 from Michigan, and Republican Governor Supersoulty from Pennsylvania.

Gustafus13: Cheer!

dem rep Dan: *claps*

MAS117: nym nym nym

ofthisnation: We will also try to include the Vice-Presidential candidates, Harry, from MS, and Demrepdan, from Illinois.

gwbushreform: Nym in 04

ofthisnation: Quiet on the floor, please.

EmperorHarry86: cheer
MAS117: cheer
ofthisnation: QUIET ON THE FLOOR PLEASE

MMAKI007: not hardly
Gustafus13: Boo!

ofthisnation: We will start our debate off with a question for Governor Supersoulty on the topic of the war on drugs.

ofthisnation: Governor, are you comfortable with the results of the U.S. government's ongoing War on Drugs? If so, what aspect? If not, do you support a national dialogue on on the subject of drug war reform?

supersoulty: Well, I support a nation dialogue on any issue and think debate should be open.  As for you actual question.  I do think that there is some room for improvement.  Further cooperation with foreign governments on this issue would yield better results.  I would put more money into combating drug use domestically especially in inner-cities.

ofthisnation: Senator Nym90, you have 1.5 minutes for a rebuttal, if you so desire.

Nym90: Well, my position on this is that we are spending too much time and money on this issue, and we should focus more time on the important issues. I feel that there should be some legalization of drugs that are not very harmful, such as marijuana.  Putting people in prison for using such drugs is not helping to improve our economy, educate our children, or strengthen our nation.    Let's come together as a country and put this divisiveness about such things aside.

ofthisnation: Quiet on the floor, especially the Vice-Presidential candidates.
dem rep Dan: *sits down*
supersoulty: Hey, quiet everyone.  I'm paying for this microphone
dem rep Dan: ha ha

supersoulty: I would like to here Sen. Nym tell a 40 year old mother who is concerned that her kid is ruining his future on crack that we are spending too much money on the drug war.  What would be harmful for our economy would be millions of pot adicts spending money on their habit instead of their kids futures.  That would hurt the economy.

Nym90: I would tell that mother that her child would be much better off with a decent education and with good rehab rather than being put behind bars.  We should spend the money on education and on jobs programs instead of the drug war. People are already spending millions on pot, and it does them or our nation no good to throw them in prison.

supersoulty: You wanted to spend less money on catching drug dealers and now you claim that you relax restirictions to make pot more availible.  I don't see how that helps the problem.  Senator.

ofthisnation: buzzzzzz

ofthisnation: Okay. Next question we'll start off with Senator Nym90 again, this one coming from the Senator of New Jersey, MAS117. What are your feelings on the conflict in Afghanistan?

Nym90: I strongly supported our involvement there. I feel that it was an essential part of the war on terror.

ofthisnation: If there are no rebuttals, we'll move on.

Nym90: Al-Qaeda was being supported by the Afghan government and they had to go.

supersoulty: I rebutt.

ofthisnation: Go ahead Governor.

supersoulty: How is the situation in Afganistan different from the Iraq situation Senator? Are the motives really that different.  And you have said in the past that you would cut military spending.  How does that improve the situation in Afganistan and the War on Terror?

Nym90: Because Iraq was not directly tied to 9/11. There was no proof that there was a connection between Saddam and the events of 9/11. Afghanistan however was clearly harboring Al-Qaeda operatives, including Osama Bin Laden.

supersoulty: I wasn't finished Senator

Nym90: We would not need to spend as much on the military if we did not overextend ourselves by going into places such as Iraq. If we focus only on the War on Terror then we wouldn't be spending as much on the military. Also if we rolled back part of the tax cuts we would easily be able to balance the budget with only small cuts.

ofthisnation: One more rebuttal from Governor Supersoulty, then we'll move on.

supersoulty: This is an issue of national security.  All of our involvements from Iraq to North Korea help our possition around the world.  You still didn't adress the question about the Defense budget but I will let that stand  done

ofthisnation: Okay, next question comes from our dear friend, the West Virginia Senator Realpolitik:

Nym90: I did address it. We would have plenty of money to spend on the war on terror if we rolled back the tax cuts.

ofthisnation: What measures do you intend to take to preserve Coal Mining communities? This is for both candidates. Governor, you may go first.

supersoulty: I would relax environmental policies in order to allow Coal plants to catch-up with current standards rather than having to shut down.  Clinton/Gore hurt the coal industry by creating unrealistic goals for the industry and I would relax that.

ofthisnation: Seantor, your rebuttal.
Nym90: I feel that coal mining communities have the same needs as all of the rest of our country. I think that they want decent education, and an improving economy. Right now they are being left behind by the globalizing economy, and they need to have some degree of protection in our trade policies. Relaxing environmental standards would only hurt the quality of life for all of us. Let's not wreck the environment that our children depend upon.

ofthisnation: Governor, your rebuttal, if you have one.

supersoulty: Yes...

supersoulty: My opponent pretends that I said, "do away with restrictions".  I didn't I said that I wanted to relax them to give coal a chance to catch-up.  There is currently a regulation in place that says if coal plants replace one old genorator, they have to replace them all.  I would do away with that.  I don't think the problem is globalization, the problem is bourdensome environmental policy and I would change that.

ofthisnation: Senator, your final rebuttal.

Nym90: The current environmental standards are necessary to protect the environment. Certainly we need to study the standards to see what is necessary and what isn't, but overall I feel that they need to remain in place. I think that the main problem is globalization and the fact that jobs are being sent overseas due to lower wages. That's hurting the coal industry more than anything.

ofthisnation: This next question is for the VICE-Presidential candidates, Harry and Demrepdan.

EmperorHarry86: yay

dem rep Dan: *frantically shuffles through papers on desk*

ofthisnation: We'll start with Harry: Who do you think should pay -- and in what way -- for disease, injuries and deaths attributable to corporate greed, deception and deliberate negligence?

Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 07:35:28 PM »

EmperorHarry86: OK, if a company was deliberately negligent, then they should pay all actual damages owed to those affected, and a *small* amount of punitive damages (no runaway $millions in punitive damages); remember, though, a price cannot be put on human life; people in charge of these companies should be prosecuted and put in jail if they intentionally deceived and neglected.

ofthisnation: Senator Demrepdan, your rebuttal.

Demrepdan:  any injuries, deaths, or diseases that can be directly attributed to corporate greed should be paid by the corporation themselves. No large powerful corporation should be exempt to do all that is necessary to prevent harm to individuals...or the environment for that matter...corporations should be treated just as equally as any PERSON.. if they do not live up to their expectations..and fail to meet all federal standards...they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and should pay retribution to the person or persons to whom they preformed foul

ofthisnation: Whew.
gwbushreform: yawn
ofthisnation: If there are no rebuttals, we'll move on.

ofthisnation: There will be a 1-minute interval for audience heckling, and cheering.
ofthisnation: Go for it!

MAS117: NYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYM

dem rep Dan: SUPERSOULTY SUPERSOULTY!!!

dem rep Dan: RAH RAH RAH!!

EmperorHarry86: NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM NYM

ofthisnation: Okay, moving on. This next question is for ALL CANDIDATES, and it is on the topic of Gay Marriage.

ofthisnation: Senator Nym90, do you support full legalization of gay marriages, civil unions, or a different position?

Nym90: I feel that it should be up to each individual state and church to decide for themselves. I feel that each state should be able to make their own laws, and that churches should be able to recognize or not recognize a marriage as legitimate as they see fit.

ofthisnation: Would you support any constitutional amendments dealign with the legalization or ban of gay marriage?

Nym90: I would not support an amendment banning gay marriage, no.

ofthisnation: Governor Supersoulty, your rebuttal.
supersoulty: As I have said before, I personally believe that marriage is a sacrament between a man and a woman.  That being said, I find no legal reason that gays should not be allowed to marry or at least have civil unions I think that acctual gay "marriage" should be a state by state, religion by religion issue.  I believe Civil Unions should be national and available in all states.

ofthisnation: Okay, moving onto the VP rebuttals.
ofthisnation: Harry, you may start.

Nym90: I concur, I feel that the legal benefits of marriage should be available to all

EmperorHarry86: well, I pretty much agree with everything that's been said.  civil unions should be national, because no one should be denied that right; the states can decide whether they want to have actual marriages or not; churches for themselves what to do for themselves

ofthisnation: Demrepdan, if you have anything new to say, go for it.

dem rep Dan: yes...

dem rep Dan: It is my belief, that marriage is meant between a man and a woman. It has been so traditionally for ages. However, I respect anyone who decides they want to be a homosexual. And I believe that if they love one another, then they are no different from a man loving a woman intimately...or vice versa. Accordingly, a gay couple should be looked at equally under the law. They should be able to have some type of legal bind between them.  Some say Civil Unions do not fully represent a gay couple, and that gay marriage should be the way to go. I propose to STRENGTHEN the gay civil unions to make assured that a gay couple receieves the SAME benefits as a straight couple. I think this should be national. However, I must agree slightly with Nym90..that it should be left up to the individual states to make their decisions for gay marriage. But the conflict that you reach there..is that a gay couple who lives in a state that does not allow gay marriage....may go to a state that DOES allow gay marriage and then go back to their home state and sue for recognition.. And then we would face many legal problems in this country.

ofthisnation: This next question is for the Presidential candidates: Do you support renewal of the Patriot Act, and what are your general feelings on the issue?

Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 07:35:50 PM »

ofthisnation: Senator Nym90, you may start.

Nym90: I feel that the Patriot Act should be reviewed by an independent commission to determine what abuses of civil liberties have resulted, and that, if necessary, portions of it should be repealed. I believe strongly in preserving civil liberties and I do not feel that the War on Terror should be used as an excuse to reduce freedom in this country. Freedom is what makes us a great nation, and if we restrict civil liberties we allow the terrorists to win....
gwbushreform: WOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nym90: that battle against us, in as much as they want us to have less freedom.

dem rep Dan: *light applause*

MAS117: NYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYMNYM

ofthisnation: Governor, your rebuttal.

supersoulty: To me, this is an issue of both civil rights homeland security.  I do support most of the asspects of the patriot Act, however, I believe that every 5 years there should be a review of the provisions and how they have been used...if any abuses are discovered, they should be investigated.  NO ONE should be afraid to be an American or come to America, but we do need to balance some of those concerns against homeland security concerns.

dem rep Dan: *applause*

ofthisnation: Senator Nym90, do you have a rebuttal to the Governor's statements?

Nym90: I do agree that we need a balance, but I feel that respecting civil liberties is number one. We should not have to give up any of our freedoms in the name of national security. We can both protect security and respect freedom at the same time.

supersoulty: I would just like to say that although there is some difference on methods, all Americans do essentially agree on this issue and I encourage all Americans to support- whoever the winning candidate is, on this particular issue.

ofthisnation: This is from Senator Gustaf: Do the candidates support free trade or fair trade, or some similar question on trade policy? How about dictatures, should we trade with them, etc. Each candidate will give one statement, no rebuttals...

ofthisnation: Senator Nym, you may begin.

Nym90: I support fair trade. I am in support of free trade, but I think that there needs to be protection for workers as well. If a country has no labor or environmental standards at all and thus puts American workers and U.S. based companies at a disadvantage, then there needs to be some restrictions on that to protect American jobs.  We need to protect American jobs above all, and have a balanced policy which does not sacrifice jobs in the name of globalization.

supersoulty: I support free trade with some nations and fair trade with others and no trade with some.  That all depends on economic issues and which nations we are talking about.  Nations with terrible human rights abuses  should not be regular trade partners with the US.  I also, believe that NAFTA should be revoked because there is no benifit to the US.  It has resulted in a boondoggle that has cost American jobs and we need to end it.

ofthisnation: Okay, thank you to all the candidates, as we move onto the audience Q&A.

MAS117: Senator MAS of NJ: This is a question to both candidates... what will you do to improve bi-parsitan relationships within the forum and out
dem rep Dan: (get rid of PD....)
ofthisnation: *snicker*
gwbushreform: I ask after you
supersoulty: I'll go first...
MAS117: proceed
supersoulty: First off, I believe in free speech so I think PD should stay.  Sorry  (chuckle)

Nym90: I think that we need to set aside our partisan differences and attempt to work together for the good of the forum and of the nation. That does not mean compromising our principles, however, we should realize that we mostly share common goals and common values, and only disagree on methods.

supersoulty: Um...  I have always tried to approuch subjects in a level headed way.  I think that that is the best way to do things.  We are a united group or resonible individuals and I think that we have done well for ourselves...

gwbushreform: My question:
gwbushreform: Governor Supersoulty--on the results from the Madrabbit and political compass tests, you scored in the authoritarian conservative range.  You are obviously too conservative to appeal to centrists during your term.  How do you expect your Goldwater-like conservative view to go over with the world population?

htmldon: Oh give me a break... Super is very much a moderate

supersoulty: Ummm... I scoured a 3 authoritarian which put me below Tony Blair, so I don't really understand the premise of the question.

gwbushreform: you also scored a 33

gwbushreform: on the madrabbit, which distances you from the center moreso than Nym does
supersoulty: Oh I see.  Well, that put me in the Jack Kemp range, so I don't think that is to bad.

Migrendel: I have a question for both candidates.

supersoulty: Hang on
supersoulty: I want to answer CM's question

CM: This is a question for Governor Supersoulty! since most goods Americans purchase from large discount retail stores and outlets come from China, which has a horrifying human rights record, what would you do to counter that?

supersoulty: You are right...  China has a horrible human rights record.  I think that it is an abomination that they receive 'most favored nation status'.  The WTO is a disgusting organization and it is inherently anti American. I would make sure that Americans know that they are buying Chinese goods before they purchase them, and create incentives to buy American.

Nym90: I also think that we should scale back trade with nations that have horrible human rights records. Each should be reviewed on its own merit before we decide how much to trade with them. I would favor revoking MFN status as well

ofthisnation: We'll have Migrendel's question, then end the debate.

supersoulty: Hang on

Migrendel: Yes. I'd like the candidates to elaborate on their positions on civil and reproductive rights.

supersoulty: Could you focus your question Migrendel?

Migrendel: I would like the candidates to elaborate on their positions on civil and reproductive rights.

Nym90: The question was a little broad...I'll do the best I can though.

Nym90: I am in favor of legal abortion in the first two trimesters, until the fetus reaches the ability to be viable outside the womb, after that point, I feel that restrictions should be allowed to be made for abortions which are not medically necessary to save the health or life of the mother.

Nym90: Well, on affirmative action, I think that simply giving someone a preference based on their race is too simplistic. We should look at the whole person and get beyond appearance and ethnic background. We need to ensure equality for all, and I feel that the best way to do this is by giving a preference based on family income, since this is the great divide in our nation today, not race.

Migrendel: Thank you for your candour.

supersoulty: Civil rights are what make this nation strong.  We should act to preserve those rights that don't harm communities or individuals in a direct way.  I personally am not in favor of abortion.  I feel that abortion for medical reasons should be preserved...

Migrendel: What do you have to offer on affirmative action?

supersoulty: I would work with congress and the American people to draft to protect as amny lives as possible...

supersoulty: I know that deep down the American culture is a culture of life and we can act to change the tide on this..
supersoulty: On affirmative action, if we are going to have a color blind society, then we should do away with it. Merits should be on grade and affirmative action should be only for economic reasons.

dem rep Dan: *applause*

Migrendel: What about the millions of poor women who depend upon you? What do you plan to tell them?

GenSpartan: *applause*

supersoulty: Depend upon who?  What ? I don't understand the question.
Gustafus13: He's talking about your wives, lol...

Migrendel: Depend you to be the guardian of their right to make the most important decision of their lives, especially when on the raw edges of human existence.
supersoulty: Okay.  I believe that open access to social programs to help those people.  Give them options outside of abortion.

ofthisnation: Thank you to all the candidates for your time and effort. Governor Supersoulty, Senator Nym90, Senator Harry, and Senator Demrepdan, good luck in the general election, and God bless. Good night.

dem rep Dan: Thank you

supersoulty: Thank You

Nym90: Thanks for attending everyone....cue the talking heads now...
Nym90: lol
Nym90: to analyze the performances
supersoulty: good night.  lol
Nym90: oh, and happy birthday supersoulty
Nym90: :-)
supersoulty: Thanx
MAS117: truw
dem rep Dan: yes yes! i forgot! happy birthday
ofthisnation: ooh, how old? 12? 13?
Gustafus13: Good bi-partisan move, Nym90!
supersoulty: haha 20
ofthisnation: :-)
dem rep Dan: the big TWO-OH
Gustafus13: Oh, and happy birthday from me as well!

For the record, I would like to point out that I SPENT A GOOD DEAL OF TIME editing this thing to get out all the crap, so YOUR WELCOME. The debate was very interesting. Also, some notes: Supersoulty has bad spelling, and everyone was civil (most of the time) Wink

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 07:43:20 PM »

MMAK had a few racial slurs in there Smiley
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 07:44:37 PM »

Eh this sidescrolling is very annoying.
Demrepdan

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 07:59:03 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2004, 08:01:20 PM by Demrepdan »

For the record, I would like to point out that I SPENT A GOOD DEAL OF TIME editing this thing to get out all the crap, so YOUR WELCOME. The debate was very interesting. Also, some notes: Supersoulty has bad spelling, and everyone was civil (most of the time) Wink

Thank you for taking the time to edit it, of_thisnation....your time and effort is greatly appreciated.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 08:03:45 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to edit it, of_thisnation....your time and effort is greatly appreciated.

Yes thank you. I'd also like to thank everyone that took part in this, it was quite a fun read Wink
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 08:21:14 PM »

Yes, thank You of-this-nation.  Good job.  I know, my spelling is atrocious.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 02:49:52 AM »

Got for nostalga  Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 07:30:03 AM »

Yes, that was a pretty good debate. I continue to stand by the positions that I articulated at that time.

Too bad Gustaf's AIM wasn't working, we could have had another AIM debate.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 09:28:38 AM »

Nym90,

You could have held a debate without Gustaf, and compared him to Jimmy Carter for ducking the debate.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 07:38:20 PM »

Why do I have no memory of this debate?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2004, 07:53:36 PM »

I seem to remember you having been in the Chat Room for a while, but then leaving. I don't think you were too involved in the Fantasy Elections at that time, were you? Did you vote for Supersoulty?

I'm pretty sure you were there and basically got bored with it after a while, if memory serves.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies