Winning every county
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:49:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Winning every county
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Winning every county  (Read 2036 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2006, 03:19:11 AM »

In 2004, incumbent Senators from Utah, Idaho, Arizona, North Dakota, Iowa, Ohio, Connecticut, Vermont, and Hawaii not only won reelection but carried every county in their respective states. Senators from New York and Kansas lost just one county each. Byron Dorgan, a Democrat, won every county in North Dakota, a state Kerry lost by 27 points. Who is likely to carry every county in his/her state this November?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 06:57:30 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2006, 08:16:37 AM by Adlai Stevenson »

Robert Byrd could come close to winning every county in West Virginia, however, there is always the ultra-Republican Grant County which Raese should win.  I will predict a few Senators in New England to win every county; Snowe in Maine, Kennedy in Massachusetts and Sanders in Vermont.  Carper will also win every county in Delaware and Craig Thomas should win every one in Wyoming, as should Orrin Hatch in Utah. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 07:14:19 AM »

Robert Byrd come close to winning every county in West Virginia, however, there is always the ultra-Republican Grant County which Raese should win.  I will predict a few Senators in New England to win every county; Snowe in Maine, Kennedy in Massachusetts and Sanders in Vermont.  Carper will also win every county in Delaware and Craig Thomas should win every one in Wyoming, as should Orrin Hatch in Utah. 

Sanders might lose the county that includes the areas around Rutland.  Other than that your list is pretty good.  Obviously Lugar will too.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 08:18:31 AM »

Robert Byrd come close to winning every county in West Virginia, however, there is always the ultra-Republican Grant County which Raese should win.  I will predict a few Senators in New England to win every county; Snowe in Maine, Kennedy in Massachusetts and Sanders in Vermont.  Carper will also win every county in Delaware and Craig Thomas should win every one in Wyoming, as should Orrin Hatch in Utah. 

Sanders might lose the county that includes the areas around Rutland.  Other than that your list is pretty good.  Obviously Lugar will too.

Yes I forgot to mention Lugar; it will be interesting to see whether the Libertarian nominee gets more votes in traditionally Democratic areas.  Sanders won every county in 2004 so I don't see why he should have a problem now. 
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 09:27:25 AM »

He's not a senate candidate, but I think Eliot Spitzer is in posistion to carry every county. Ted Kennedy looks like he is heading down that path as well.
Deano963

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 09:56:30 AM »

Kent Conrad comes to mind.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 12:28:23 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2006, 06:53:17 PM by Red »

Lugar
Conrad
Ted Kennedy
Hatch
Sanders
Snowe
Carper
Akaka
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 06:46:47 PM »

Lugar
Snowe
Kennedy (I wonder if he'll lose any townships?)
Carper
Akaka
Thomas (Teton might be close, though)
Sanders (Tarrant has a shot in Essex, but it's doubtful)
Conrad
Hatch (although I won't be shocked if Ashdown wins Summit or Carbon)

Four Republicans, four Democrats, and one independent.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 06:52:12 PM »

Kennedy (I wonder if he'll lose any townships?)

Didn't in 2000
Kevinstat

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 10:30:19 PM »

I can't believe I missed this, but how come there was no Democratic nominee for the Senate in Indiana this year?  Did no one even try to get on the ballot or did someone decide not to file at the last minute and the party wasn't able to get someone on the primary ballot in time and noone got enough votes in the Democratic primary to get on the general election ballot.  Can someone in the know tell me what happened?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 10:33:01 PM »

I can't believe I missed this, but how come there was no Democratic nominee for the Senate in Indiana this year?  Did no one even try to get on the ballot or did someone decide not to file at the last minute and the party wasn't able to get someone on the primary ballot in time and noone got enough votes in the Democratic primary to get on the general election ballot.  Can someone in the know tell me what happened?

No one wanted to run against Lugar, and the $$ wasn't there.  I also believe thaat Indiana having several competitive seats (Dems could easily pick up 3 seats) had something to do with it, as Dems wanted to concentrate on that rather than be sidetracked on the impossible task of knocking off Lugar
Deano963

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 10:33:24 PM »

None of the above. Lugar is simply so popular that no Democrat wanted to run against him.
mgrossbe
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 10:49:47 PM »

yeah, deano is right.

When lugar decided to run again roemer decided not to run.  Schumer had put all his apples in that basket and no one wanted to be the sacrifical lamb.  Also, hamiliton the only other viable canidate decided last year not to run.  Like i said on another post only roemer would have swayed me from voting for Lugar or maybe O'bannon rising from the grave.
Kevinstat

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 10:50:03 PM »

Thanks guys.

In Maine, despite Olympia Snowe's huge popularity, there was actually a contested Democratic primary (quite closely contested, in fact) for the right to get slaughtered by her.  An anti-war independent candidate is in the race also, although his candidacy will likely only increase Snowe's margin of victory over Democrat Jean Hay Bright.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 01:26:33 PM »

Nah, Richardson and Bingaman won convincingly their last cycles around and still didn't carry every county. That's hard to do here, because you can't appeal to every political quadrant at once and that's what you'd have to do to sweep the state. That, or have an atrocious candidate. NM wasn't swept in either 1972 or 1964...or even in 1936 or 1928. Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 01:31:17 PM »

Nah, Richardson and Bingaman won convincingly their last cycles around and still didn't carry every county. That's hard to do here, because you can't appeal to every political quadrant at once and that's what you'd have to do to sweep the state. That, or have an atrocious candidate. NM wasn't swept in either 1972 or 1964...or even in 1936 or 1928. Wink

Yeah I just watched the maps and there's this really conservative Catron county in the west of NM. I think they would have to win NM with 70% to carry this district Tongue
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 01:33:30 PM »

Yeah I just watched the maps and there's this really conservative Catron county in the west of NM. I think they would have to win NM with 70% to carry this district Tongue

Catron = NM Mormon Country.

There's also Lincoln County...

On the Dem side, the Leftist Triumvirate of Santa Fe, Taos, and San Miguel Counties is hard to crack for a Rep (although Domenici has come close).

Just about everything else has swung at some point. Smiley
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 06:19:37 PM »

Looks like...

Carper (D)
Akaka (D)
Kennedy (D)
Bingaman (D)
Conrad (D)
Kohl (D)
Lieberman (I)
Sanders (I)

Snowe (R)
Ensign (R)
Thomas (R)

Surprisingly, Lugar lost one county.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 07:38:46 PM »

And Bingaman did.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 02:22:11 PM »

And Bingaman did.

Note my comment about atrocious candidates. Smiley The NM Reps really, really, really blew that. Either of the two other candidates who lost in the primary could've won at least Catron County. Let's see, pick the moderate "gay ponytailed Santa Fe Republican" David Pfeffer, the center-right semi-blowhard Joseph Carraro (my old State Senator Cheesy ) or the definitely conservative Allen McCulloch? Great choice, NM Reps. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies