Thai Military Bans Political Activity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:18:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Thai Military Bans Political Activity
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thai Military Bans Political Activity  (Read 1862 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2006, 01:31:38 PM »

Thailand's Military Council Announces Ban on Political Activity

Associated Press
Sunday, September 24, 2006; 10:50 AM

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- Thailand's military council on Sunday issued new orders intended to stave off any possible opposition to their coup, banning political activities at the district and provincial levels.

The military, which seized power from elected Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a bloodless coup on Tuesday, has been restricting freedom of assembly and pressuring the media into self-censorship.

Calling themselves the Council for Democratic Reform under the Constitutional Monarchy, the military had already banned gatherings by political parties and the establishment of new ones.

The latest announcement called for "all organizations to stop their activities and political gathering until the situation returns to normal."

It said that there had been "movements" of politicians at the district and provincial levels both in favor of and opposing the coup group.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 01:48:57 PM »

I doubt they're going to give up power. If they even do have elections they'll be rigged so they win all or most of them.

So...I wonder if the people who liked this before are happy now?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 01:51:27 PM »

I doubt they're going to give up power. If they even do have elections they'll be rigged so they win all or most of them.

The military doesn't have a party. Whose going to run in them?

Better than Thaksin rigging elections to push his prudish and corporatist agenda.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 01:57:19 PM »

So you don't care about political freedoms unless the country is doing what you want.

And yes, the military doesn't have a party and they're running it but they don't have to basically ban all political parties from doing things. All their doing is trying to sement their power so they can have full control by "free" elections eventually.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 02:03:51 PM »

So you don't care about political freedoms unless the country is doing what you want.

And do you? You said the coup in Guatemala was good.

And yes, the military doesn't have a party and they're running it but they don't have to basically ban all political parties from doing things. All their doing is trying to sement their power so they can have full control by "free" elections eventually.

So who are they going to rig in those elections? Obviously not Thaksin's party, and the main opposition party is known for their opposition to military involvement in politics. And as opebo as pointed out, it's most liley the king behind this, and he's known for a commitment to democracy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 02:08:37 PM »

And as opebo as pointed out, it's most liley the king behind this, and he's known for a commitment to democracy.

So you and Opebo are basically saying the King is essentially trying to restore an absolute monarchy in Thailand by means of this military coup? 

No, but to get rid of Thaksin, who was the REAL threat to democracy.

The King's record is quite strong on supporting democracy. Look at 1992.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 02:39:27 PM »

Have they captured Opebo yet?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 02:46:09 PM »

Naw, they probably just told him to stick to non-political activities like having sex with underage hookers.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 02:49:53 PM »

Naw, they probably just told him to stick to non-political activities like having sex with underage hookers.

He says he never goes for ones under 18 and there barely are any, about 20 is the youngest you can get.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 03:58:35 PM »

All I care about is how this effects the Industry, Jedi.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 03:59:44 PM »

I am disappointed in you, jfern.  There are, alas, only the aged sort of hookers here in Thailand.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 04:03:28 PM »

What would you say the median age is?

I have noticed that while it varies on clubs, most strippers are older than me. I wonder if it's the same with Thai hookers.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 04:04:55 PM »

And as opebo as pointed out, it's most liley the king behind this, and he's known for a commitment to democracy.

So you and Opebo are basically saying the King is essentially trying to restore an absolute monarchy in Thailand by means of this military coup? 

Sure, besides the fact that he was going to resign and this is just an excuse to take power. When the elections are rigged then you'll be the ones complaining.

Only good thing that could come is they could kill Opebo.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 04:16:45 PM »

What would you say the median age is?

I would say the median is at best 25, and possibly even older.  Basically the great majority are 20-30, with a tendency for the Go-gos and better beer bars to have the 18-25s, and the third rate, cheaper, off the beaten track beer bars to have more the 25's-35's, even a few up to fourty!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The fact is that teenage poonanny is an extremely difficult to obtain commodity, Red - perhaps a sign that we have ordered our societies poorly.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 04:17:49 PM »

This is horrible. I truely hope that the King can be pursueded to call for an immediate reinstatement of freedoms and democracy. This has the possibility of turning Thailand into another Burma controled by a ruling Junta. I somehow doubt that though the King will probably consider such a Junta as taking away power from him and thus leading back to a democracy within a year or two. I have to say that this was a horrible action that the Thai military put in place that is probably going to seriously inhibit Thailand's continuing economic development.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 04:18:43 PM »

Sure, besides the fact that he was going to resign and this is just an excuse to take power. When the elections are rigged then you'll be the ones complaining.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that Thaksin was going to 'resign', or in any way relinquish power, Jeddi!

Anyway I hope there are never elections if the military prooves to be tolerant of prostitution, etc.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 04:23:06 PM »

This is horrible. I truely hope that the King can be pursueded to call for an immediate reinstatement of freedoms and democracy. This has the possibility of turning Thailand into another Burma controled by a ruling Junta.

No, no, Colin, don't worry.  Thailand has been ruled by the military before, and it has been done very deftly and benevolently when under the Royal influence.  The 1980's under General Prem were some of Thailand's best years.

Why would it inhibit economic developement?  Thai Rak Thai was instituting nationalist economic policies like limiting foreign ownership even more than in the past, and they had even frozen the construction of new foriegn-owned corporate retail such as Carrefour, Big-C, Tescos, and 7-11 due to the complaints of local retailers.  I doubt that a democracy ruled by the masses of rural poor is going to produce a governmental environment more pleasing to multinationals than a military dictatorship answerable to a monied elite.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 04:28:42 PM »

Why would it inhibit economic developement?  Thai Rak Thai was instituting nationalist economic policies like limiting foreign ownership even more than in the past, and they had even frozen the construction of new foriegn-owned corporate retail such as Carrefour, Big-C, Tescos, and 7-11 due to the complaints of local retailers.  I doubt that a democracy ruled by the masses of rural poor is going to produce a governmental environment more pleasing to multinationals than a military dictatorship answerable to a monied elite.

Well it would inhibit economic development because of the lack of political stability that is brought on by a military coup and dictatorial government as a whole. While the last year or so in Thailand has been anything but stable it still had an elected government and it seemed as if most of the problems would be solved in the upcoming election. Democracy plus the promise of more stability within the democratic system usually puts investors on a better track. Military takeovers usually show to the international business community the lack of respect for law and protocol as well as the underlying fragility of democratic institutions. Also with a military coup the rule by fiat can be quite detrimental to the health of foreign investment. It is much easier for a dictator to nationalise all foreign owned industry than a democratically elected leader.

Also, whatever you say opebo, Thaksin never took measures that the Junta is now taking. He didn't ban opposition parties or ban protests by those who opposed him. He was ruthless, cunning, and despicable but he was hardly the autocrat that the Generals seem to be.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 04:40:52 PM »

Also, whatever you say opebo, Thaksin never took measures that the Junta is now taking. He didn't ban opposition parties or ban protests by those who opposed him. He was ruthless, cunning, and despicable but he was hardly the autocrat that the Generals seem to be.

That is a good point, Colin.  I have to believe that he did not do so merely because he had insufficient power to accomplish it, though.  We'll see how things go with these generals.. Sonthi himself makes a very poor candidate for dictator, being a Muslim and hence suspect to about 90% of Thais.  I do think it will all come down to what the King wants to have done. 

At this point I think these limitations on political activity are unsurprising and understandable - they don't want pro-Thaksin forces to be able to rally against them.  If I had to guess I'd say their goal will be to write a new constitution that is devised to limit the power of 1) the rural poor in Isaan and the North, and 2) includes safeguards against too much power being gathered by one strong PM and/or one political party.

I really think it is correct to look at this coup as essentially a defensive move by the old guard and the King.  They were terrified they were losing control of the country.  I honestly don't think Sonthi and company want to run the government on a day to day basis for more than, say, a year.  Whether they will be able to extricate themselves remains to be seen - after all, even Prem, that most admirable of dictators, took 8 years to get the country ready for 'democracy'.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 05:07:19 PM »

I love how the people who always talk about freedom are defending taking away freedom. Of course this is from the idiots known as BRTD and Opebo.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 05:16:29 PM »

I love how the people who always talk about freedom are defending taking away freedom. Of course this is from the idiots known as BRTD and Opebo.

I care far more about personal freedoms like purchasing sex than political 'freedoms', Jedi.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 06:26:05 PM »

That is a good point, Colin.  I have to believe that he did not do so merely because he had insufficient power to accomplish it, though.

I have to agree with you there although it is possible that the Junta could bring in someone more palatable to the people or more dictatorial material if they do want to stay in power. The final decision rests with the King and he doesn't seem to be a leader that is easily pushed around.

I have to agree with you there though I also think that it is also affecting some anti-Junta protests from former opponents of Thaksin. I'm surprised there hasn't been more desturbances in the countryside since a vast majority are Thaksin supporters.

I have to agree with you there but the more worrying thing is that it again solidifies the military's role in the political sphere which it had given up over the past 15 years of democracy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 10:12:38 PM »

You've really gone off the deep end.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 08:25:17 AM »

I have to agree with you there though I also think that it is also affecting some anti-Junta protests from former opponents of Thaksin. I'm surprised there hasn't been more desturbances in the countryside since a vast majority are Thaksin supporters.

Well, those rurals have a very long experience of being excluded from power, so they are very unlikely to do anything.   They really weren't participating with Thai Rak Thai, just being used - in fact their votes were more or less bought to a large extent.   They saw themselves as being protected or helped by Thaksin as a father-figure.. not as being real participants in power through Thai Rak Thai.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 08:41:33 AM »

You've really gone off the deep end.

Not really, I've always kinda wanted that. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies