Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2014, 07:04:09 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Democrat with spine leading in Montana
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Democrat with spine leading in Montana  (Read 2905 times)
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 07:56:29 pm »
Ignore

Tester, who showed a fuller range of emotion in the course of the evening, probably found a sound bite moment in response to a Burns charge that he is "soft on terrorism." Tester, Burns said, "doesn't understand this enemy" and would weaken the Patriot Act. "Let me be clear," Tester shot back sharply. "I don't want to weaken the Patriot Act. I want to repeal it."

That's disturbing enough that I might reconsider my support of his candidacy. 

Boris
boris78
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 08:32:47 pm »
Ignore

Tester, who showed a fuller range of emotion in the course of the evening, probably found a sound bite moment in response to a Burns charge that he is "soft on terrorism." Tester, Burns said, "doesn't understand this enemy" and would weaken the Patriot Act. "Let me be clear," Tester shot back sharply. "I don't want to weaken the Patriot Act. I want to repeal it."

Why? He clearly just said that for political purposes; as Jfern pointed out, it makes him look as if he has a spine, and it looks good in debate. It's not as if he's actually going to get the opportunity to repeal the Patriot Act.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 09:14:05 pm by Boris »Logged

Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 08:37:49 pm »
Ignore

Jon Tester has been saying what everyone should have always been saying. He has got to be the best candidate this cycle. He will be the coolest person in the Senate.

To be nonpartisan, Harold Ford Jr. and Michael Steele are definetly better challengers, when you can't fire back on Conrad Burn's mouth, you are a bad challenger.

Huh

As expected the wop won.

Eraserhead's Original Update: Open For Business 24/7
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 08:42:43 pm »
Ignore

Jon Tester has been saying what everyone should have always been saying. He has got to be the best candidate this cycle. He will be the coolest person in the Senate.

To be nonpartisan, Harold Ford Jr. and Michael Steele are definetly better challengers, when you can't fire back on Conrad Burn's mouth, you are a bad challenger.

Huh

He has some kind of fanticized view of the MT senate race.  It's not enough for him that Tester's going to win by 8-10%.

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
Conan
conan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 08:53:57 pm »
Ignore

If the patriot act isnt changed repealed or made into a law that isnt opposite of American values, then the terrorists have won.

Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 09:05:24 pm »
Ignore

The Patriot Act is a complete and utter abomination. Can we say 1984?

As expected the wop won.

mgrossbe

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.43

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 09:12:07 pm »
Ignore

Are they making that into a movie now again?

Indianas' red(blue) dawn has arrived
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2006, 11:01:45 pm »
Ignore

Are they making that into a movie now again?

I hope not.

As expected the wop won.

jerusalemcar5
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 11:11:09 pm »
Ignore

If the patriot act isnt changed repealed or made into a law that isnt opposite of American values, then the terrorists have won.

I agree.  It is exactly the same sort of freedom hating the Bush admin denounces so often.  I think his definition of freedom is the right to do exactly what the government says to you.
Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2006, 11:40:56 pm »
Ignore

It's certainly a lot more Democratic than any of its neighbors.

Hey, now, North Dakota has had an all Democratic delegation for 20 years.
Interesting fact, while Conrad had previously had the other Senate seat, both ND Senators were sworn in to their current Senate seat on December 5th, 1992.

That's true, though in Presidential elections it's more Democratic than its neighbors, that's what I was referring to. The Dakotas are more willing to send Democrats to Congress, that's true.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 08:20:49 pm »
Ignore

Do you have any idea what the sections of the bill not pertaining to the increased police and surveillence powers do?

In my opinion the agenda of the Democrats should be introduce a bill that would repeal the provisions that were supposed to "sunset," while keeping the bill as a whole intact.
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 09:57:58 pm »
Ignore

Do you have any idea what the sections of the bill not pertaining to the increased police and surveillence powers do?

In my opinion the agenda of the Democrats should be introduce a bill that would repeal the provisions that were supposed to "sunset," while keeping the bill as a whole intact.

Thats your opinion. I want the whole thing erased (pun intended).

As expected the wop won.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2006, 03:34:04 pm »
Ignore

Why not just repeal it and write a new bill, covering the same sort of issues but without the... er... problems... with the existing act?

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
NewFederalist
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2006, 04:11:11 pm »
Ignore

Why not just repeal it and write a new bill, covering the same sort of issues but without the... er... problems... with the existing act?

Well, for one thing... that would be too logical. For another thing ... you're British so since we didn't think of it ... well, you know! Smiley

+2.50 / -2.21 Political Compass

GOP = Terrorists
Progress
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2006, 10:14:26 pm »
Ignore

Well, as Democrat, he has my full support even though I'd doubt very much that I'd oppose the Patriot Act

Dave

Of course you wouldn't.  Nor the Iraq war.  Nor just about everything that makes someone a Democrat.  Why you still think you are a Democrat and not a Bush-Republican is beyond me.

Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2006, 12:01:08 am »
Ignore

Well, as Democrat, he has my full support even though I'd doubt very much that I'd oppose the Patriot Act

Dave

Of course you wouldn't.  Nor the Iraq war.  Nor just about everything that makes someone a Democrat.  Why you still think you are a Democrat and not a Bush-Republican is beyond me.

Economic issues and family tradition. I actually asked him why once.

As expected the wop won.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout