Notice to Senate: Re Thailand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:53:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Notice to Senate: Re Thailand
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Notice to Senate: Re Thailand  (Read 2221 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2006, 09:16:56 AM »

While many of us are in two minds as to the aims of thosebehind the recent coup, it does appear to be peaceful for the time being and economic disruption would not be beneficial to the country and it's people. We should not make hasty decisions or take pre-emptive economic action for the time being. Therefore I will not recommend to the Senate that we invoke Clause 3 of the Atlasia-Thailand Free Trade agreement for the time being, but the situation will be monitored and any moves contrary to the aims set out by the current interim government will be taken with the utmost seriousness.

There have been public demonstrations by democracy activists in the past few days and their demands will also be monitored. I will report back to the Senate next week with an update on the situation and any proposed recommendations as is seen fit based on events as they unfold.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:27:27 AM »

I fully concur with the position of the Secretary of State. While the Atlasian-Thailand Free Trade Act does fall under the auspices of the Hawk Doctrine, I agree we don't act with haste in seeking to envoke Clause 3

Furthermore, when I decided that free trade with Thailand be subject to this, I actually had Thaksin in mind rather than some military coup on the horizon, as I was deeply suspicious of him and believe he, in himself, has done much to undermine Thai democracy

'Hawk'
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:32:09 PM »

I move that we send a force to reinstall the legitiment Prime Minister.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:24:16 AM »

I move that we send a force to reinstall the legitiment Prime Minister.

^^^^^^
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 09:47:57 AM »

No, absolutely not. If Atlasia are to act against Thailand we'll do it through trading policy not military force

Thailand is not a military threat to Atlasia and no way is one drop of Atlasian blood going to be shed over the likes of Thaksin, who has done much to undermine Thai democracy

'Hawk'
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 10:53:08 AM »

No, absolutely not. If Atlasia are to act against Thailand we'll do it through trading policy not military force

Thailand is not a military threat to Atlasia and no way is one drop of Atlasian blood going to be shed over the likes of Thaksin, who has done much to undermine Thai democracy

'Hawk'
I agree.  I will not support any action that would involve using military force against Thailand.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 11:27:40 AM »

I will not support any military action against Thailand, it is a diplomatic and logistical nightmare and is unnecessary at this point.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 12:02:01 PM »

I have to concur with the sentiments above. To send millitary force is nothing but bellicose posturing. Thailand is hardly a millitary threat to this country, and to impose economic sanctions is a positive step.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 12:24:43 PM »

I agree with the Secretary and the PPT.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 07:45:33 AM »

Just tell them you're watching them closely, threaten them with the stick a little, and interrupt all military aid. That's what the US is doing, and for once in a while it sounds like a reasonable course.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 08:12:50 AM »

We're not babysitters. It isnt our job to go in and force anything unless asked of us, and even then for our men and women to fall for the cause, it better be a damn good reason.

Senator Speed Of Sound
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 08:20:42 AM »

Just tell them you're watching them closely, threaten them with the stick a little, and interrupt all military aid. That's what the US is doing, and for once in a while it sounds like a reasonable course.

Or we could suspend normal trade relations with Thailand but it's the Secretary of State's call as to whether he seeks that the Senate envoke Clause 3 of the Atlasia-Thailand Free Trade Act but I understand he is monitoring the situation before deciding whether to do so

'Hawk'
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 10:07:29 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies