Did Hugo Chavez legitimately win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:54:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Did Hugo Chavez legitimately win?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did Chavez legitimately win the 2004 recall referendum?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Did Hugo Chavez legitimately win?  (Read 3573 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2006, 07:13:25 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezuelan_recall_referendum_of_2004
YoMartin
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 08:37:42 PM »

There were no serious allegations of fraud. And polls predicted his victory.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 10:03:04 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2006, 10:05:14 PM by ag »

I guess, even I would have to answer "yes".

Did a majority vote for Chavez then? Most likely, as it will, most likely and very unfortunately, do again in December.   While there is a plausible argument that the election wasn't fair, the outcome of a fair election would, most likely, have been the same, anyway (like any decent caudillo Chavez likes to do more than he really needs to).

The real zillion-bolivar question is whether it is possible for Chavez to lose an election, whatever the preferences of the electorate.  In my view, the evidence is suggesting an unambiguous "no" as the answer to this question.  I would like to be mistaken, but I am convinced he will either die in office, on the gallows or in exhile. 

My definition of "democracy" is: "it is theoretically possible for the regime to change in an election." I would still consider it a democracy even if the elections are somewhat unfair, so that to actually have its win recognized the opposition would need to gain an overwhelming majority despite limited access to the media. I don't think modern Venezuela satisfies even this definition, though. If I were Venezuelan, I would have stopped coming to the polls long ago.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 10:47:02 AM »

My definition of "democracy" is: "it is theoretically possible for the regime to change in an election."
So "consensual democracy" as in Libanon or Switzerland doesn't qualify?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 12:13:38 PM »

Lebanon just did change governments.

It's not really possible in Switzerland, but it is in the cantons where most of the power is concentrated, or left up to referendums. Switzerland is probably the most democratic country in the world actually in terms of the influence of the people, showing that you don't need very interesting or competitive elections for democracy (although the Swiss model wouldn't work in many other places)

Interesting point though, could one argue that Massachusetts or Utah aren't really democratic?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 02:09:20 PM »

the sad fact is that Chavez in all likelihood did win legitimately, and will probably go on winning elections until he dies or is forcibly removed from office. Poor Venezuelans and the international far left love him despite (or perhaps because of) the devastating impact of his rule on democracy and the rule of law in Venezuela, as well as his penchant for giving away billions of dollars to other countries.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 02:25:23 PM »

Poor Venezuelans and the international far left love him despite (or perhaps because of) the devastating impact of his rule on democracy and the rule of law in Venezuela,
It`s not as if these things were in a better state than they now are before he came around, you know...

Anyways... I like Chavez' campaign.

"Re-elect Chavez President.
Vote against the Devil. Vote against the Empire."
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 02:26:35 PM »

Both sides in Venezuela politics are awful.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 06:41:50 PM »

Poor Venezuelans and the international far left love him despite (or perhaps because of) the devastating impact of his rule on democracy and the rule of law in Venezuela,
It`s not as if these things were in a better state than they now are before he came around, you know...

Proving strangeland's point for him, are you? Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 06:47:42 PM »

Interesting point though, could one argue that Massachusetts or Utah aren't really democratic?

Those places are a lot like South Carolina in the old days, in that the real races are, in general, the primaries, not the general elections.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 06:57:36 PM »

Those places are a lot like South Carolina in the old days, in that the real races are, in general, the primaries, not the general elections.

Utah and Massashusetts don't forbid almost the entire population from voting in the primaries, though. Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 06:58:45 PM »

Utah and Massashusetts don't forbid almost the entire population from voting in the primaries, though. Wink

Technicalities, technicalities... Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 08:43:35 AM »

Same thing as when Ronald Reagan or George W Bush go around calling their bogeymen of choice "Evil" - you might not agree, but if you dislike said bogeyman more than the person saying it (or if you just feel that said bogeyman gets what is still way too good a press) you're delighted to hear someone in power say something crass like that out loud...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 02:45:34 PM »

Same thing as when Ronald Reagan or George W Bush go around calling their bogeymen of choice "Evil" - you might not agree, but if you dislike said bogeyman more than the person saying it (or if you just feel that said bogeyman gets what is still way too good a press) you're delighted to hear someone in power say something crass like that out loud...
Well, I dislike Chavez more than Bush, so clearly I wouldn't be delighted, now would I? Tongue The bigger point was that when people like Chavez say things like they do the international far left gives them a free pass on all the bad things they do, because being "anti-Yanqui" is clearly more important than being a democrat instead of an autocrat...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies