Where you would rather live?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:29:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Where you would rather live?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Situation A or B?
A

B

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Where you would rather live?  (Read 1912 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:18:59 PM »

A: A military regime that bans political activity for one year, followed by a restoration of democracy and free elections after a campaign against massive corruption

B: An extremely corrupt government led by an extremely corrupt Prime Minister known for vote buying and falsifying and keeping implementing policies for the purposes only of filling his own pockets and winning/stealing elections.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 12:39:37 AM »

B-No gaurantee of the end of A's dictatorship. But emigrate.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 08:30:10 AM »

B, I'll actually take freedom unlike you who have so much faith that the military will actually have free elections in Thailand for a year.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:31:39 AM »

B, I'll actually take freedom unlike you who have so much faith that the military will actually have free elections in Thailand for a year.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 08:53:43 AM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:22:42 AM »

Apparently you forgot to include in Option B that the extremely corrupt Prime Minister already promised to step down (and even if he doesn't he can still be elected out of office), whereas the military in Option A provides no guarantee or fail-safe option that they'll follow suit.  For that reason, I proudly vote for Option B.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 03:13:17 PM »

'Freedom'?!  You actually believe that 'democracy' equals freedom?

Certainly in the american and the thai case it does not, though I admit Thailand is even now residually a lot more free than the US.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 05:04:23 PM »

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 07:22:21 PM »

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 09:42:44 AM »

Isn't it a little odd that people like BRTD trust the Thai military more then their own?

Personally, I don't trust either Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 10:42:16 AM »

A: A military regime that bans political activity for one year, followed by a restoration of democracy and free elections after a campaign against massive corruption
Lol. You're not going to get a "restoration of democracy", mostly because Thailand has never been a particularly democratic country in the first place - thanks to the continuing power of the exact same people who lead the coup now.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
No worse than the opposition, actually.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 11:57:15 AM »

Isn't it a little odd that people like BRTD trust the Thai military more then their own?

Personally, I don't trust either Tongue

Not really, I just trust Thaksin least of all.

But it appears from the news most Thais are happy now, and according to opebo the military is much nicer to prostitutes. Plus I doubt they'll ever propose raising the drinking age to 25.

Lol. You're not going to get a "restoration of democracy", mostly because Thailand has never been a particularly democratic country in the first place - thanks to the continuing power of the exact same people who lead the coup now.

It was during the mid-late 90s. Thaksin mostly screwed all that up. Thaksin was the biggest threat to Thai democracy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 12:54:01 PM »

Not at all, Hughento!  The Thai military is quite small and harmless by comparison to that of the Empire.  The Thai military has never wreaked havok across large areas of the globe, or genocided other ethnic groups (Vietnamese, etc.).  No, the Thai military is mostly geared around collecting money from the sex industry and playing a lot of golf.

Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 10:11:38 PM »

A
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 10:45:11 PM »

Neither. I prefer to stick to first world nations.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 01:59:41 PM »

Neither. I prefer to stick to first world nations.

There is only one world.  We all live in this world together.  None of us is more deserving to be here than others.  There is no need to stratify some of us into second or third class ciitizens.

A.

fb
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 02:54:19 PM »

There is only one world.  We all live in this world together.  None of us is more deserving to be here than others.  There is no need to stratify some of us into second or third class ciitizens.

Yeah that's nice and all, but the reality is very different.

(On a related note, the concept of 1st/2nd/3rd world originally had nothing to do with their economic statuses, but actually their allegiance during the Cold War.)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 09:42:12 PM »

Yep. First world was US+Allies, Second world was Soviets+allies and the third world was everyone else.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 05:02:11 AM »

(On a related note, the concept of 1st/2nd/3rd world originally had nothing to do with their economic statuses, but actually their allegiance during the Cold War.)
Nyes. Not as different as you think on part one, and both concepts are of roughly equal age on part 2.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 06:28:37 AM »

Correct about the cold war meaning, but nowadays it is used to imply economic well being.  Interestingly, it is a completely deceptive representation of reality, Joe Republic - the rich in 'third world' countries are enormously more privileged than the vast majority in the 'first world' countries.  Basically this is just another aspect of the continual propaganda stream designed to feed the hubris of the American worker. 

One's position on the worker/owner divide is what matters, not one's nationality.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 03:51:25 PM »

One's position on the worker/owner divide is what matters, not one's nationality.

That is a key tenet of Marxism.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies