Counties with the longest streak of voting for one party for President (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:43:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Counties with the longest streak of voting for one party for President (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Counties with the longest streak of voting for one party for President  (Read 35552 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: May 23, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »

Northampton, NC is another county that may never have voted R.

Nope. Voted Republican in 1868, 1872, 1876, 1880, 1884, 1888, and 1896.

Wow. Wonder what the reason is for why it was GOP during the early Solid South days and then changed to so solidly Dem. I assume today it is a heavily black area, though it also voted very strongly Dem in the 20's, 30's and 40's (as strongly Dem as most any other Solid South county). Anyone know what happened in the first part of the 20th century to flip its partisan allegiance?

The end of voting rights for Blacks in Northeast NC, of course.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:00:09 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2009, 03:04:33 PM by Lal Krishna Prime Minister Nahin Banega »

Hmm. So maybe it's really the 1964 results that are surprising there. Perhaps blacks were allowed to vote a little earlier here than in the Deep South?
Quite plausible.

EDIT: (from some letter on the internet)
"I'd like to share my own impression of John Salter, whom I first saw on a 1963 television newscast being mercilessly pummeled by a group of white men.  The attack took place during a Black student demonstration in Jackson, Mississippi [Salter is white and Arizonan. L.T.]  A few months later, John appeared in my rural, eastern North Carolina community, where we Black people were staging our own demonstrations.

(...) Salter's civil rights record, his obvious sincerity, as well as his willingness to take on the local racists, soon won over the most skeptical among us.  For over a year, he worked in our community, facing daily death threats, abuse, and the virulent hatred of local white people.

With John Salter's help, we initiated a countywide voter registration drive, and when local officials set up obstacles, John convinced a battery of topnotch lawyers to challenge the county board of elections in court.  Our side won.   For the first time since the disenfranchisement of Blacks in the late nineteenth century, thousands of eastern North Carolina Blacks registered. (...)"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies