Ireland Election 2007
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:14:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ireland Election 2007
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]
Author Topic: Ireland Election 2007  (Read 120041 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: August 03, 2007, 09:19:10 AM »

Sad

I lost all respect for your Greens.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #376 on: August 03, 2007, 09:45:11 AM »

I'm sure they'lll be very disappointed. Wink
Any particular reason why?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #377 on: August 03, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2007, 10:54:03 AM by Gully Foyle »

I had to rub my eyes when I saw "Eoghan Harris" on your list, I hadn't heard about the Seanad nominations yet so I didn't know.

I had to check RTE just to make sure it wasn't a joke.

It wasn't a Joke.

I then shouted "You son of a Bitch". Repeatedly.

God I'm beginning to really hate Eoghan Harris.

The rest of Bertie's list screams "Mediocrity" - that third rate councillor for down my estate whose entire advantage is that she's blond and pretty (not really) and not Liz O'Donnell (Corrigan), Ivor "Paintjobgate" Callely, that Gombeen from Leitrim and other failed Dail candidates.

But gives good ground to the Conspiracy theorists.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #378 on: August 03, 2007, 01:31:34 PM »

I'm sure they'lll be very disappointed. Wink
Any particular reason why?

First of all accepting to be in an FF government.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #379 on: August 03, 2007, 03:17:26 PM »

I had to rub my eyes when I saw "Eoghan Harris" on your list, I hadn't heard about the Seanad nominations yet so I didn't know.

I had to check RTE just to make sure it wasn't a joke.

It wasn't a Joke.

I then shouted "You son of a Bitch". Repeatedly.

God I'm beginning to really hate Eoghan Harris.

It's quite the surprising appointment.

The rest of Bertie's list screams "Mediocrity" - that third rate councillor for down my estate whose entire advantage is that she's blond and pretty (not really) and not Liz O'Donnell (Corrigan), Ivor "Paintjobgate" Callely, that Gombeen from Leitrim and other failed Dail candidates.

But gives good ground to the Conspiracy theorists.

Brady, Callelly and Ellis will presumably all be running next time, obviously all electable so it makes sense to give them an office to work from.

Corrigan and McDonald - some gender balance. McDonald did respectably in Wexford - a definite prospect. Corrigan can only really take a seat with a FF retiree - so maybe there's something in that.

Finally, Ó Domhnaill - never heard of him. A little surprising going to Donegal, given there ample supply of TDs there.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #380 on: August 03, 2007, 03:37:40 PM »

I really doubt (read: hope) that Callely can get his seat back without redistricting or a retiree; Dublin North Central generally has a strong FF block and a strong Leftish block. But with Richard Bruton being there.. it's almost impossible to see it as anything other than 1FF 1FG 1OTH. And Callely did better than expected there last time.

The rumour mill has been suggesting that Seamus Brennan may retire, don't know much about that. We can only hope.

But God, Eoghan Harris was really put a crimp in my day.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #381 on: August 03, 2007, 04:21:51 PM »

I really doubt (read: hope) that Callely can get his seat back without redistricting or a retiree; Dublin North Central generally has a strong FF block and a strong Leftish block. But with Richard Bruton being there.. it's almost impossible to see it as anything other than 1FF 1FG 1OTH. And Callely did better than expected there last time.

The rumour mill has been suggesting that Seamus Brennan may retire, don't know much about that. We can only hope.

What's so bad about Eoghan Harris. Enlighten me!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #382 on: August 03, 2007, 04:27:40 PM »

Well, I won't be running down to place a bet on Callelly to be back in the next Dáil - but you never know. He made it before; McGrath has hardly got the safest seat in the world (though I'll grant you a leftist of some desciption should get the seat); and you just never know what the results of the next constituency redrawing will be.

Maybe, hard to say.

Well now, don't worry to much about it. It's only a Seanad seat after all - heck this could drive him into complete obscurity. Cheesy
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #383 on: August 03, 2007, 04:44:42 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2007, 08:19:34 AM by Gully Foyle »

It's the Clientalism of the whole thing which sickens me, though perhaps it won't be so bad if it means less articles by him in the Sunday Independant (which I *shock* occasionally read, though we all know 95% is low-grade crap, which is an insult to low-grade crap)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #384 on: August 03, 2007, 08:41:25 PM »

I only trust the Greens get a well-deserved drubbing at the next general election. FF doesn't seem to be the natural coalition partner for progressives (and no I'm not including the PD's in that category)

Along with SF, the PDs would be well down my preference vote

Dave
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #385 on: August 04, 2007, 07:14:57 AM »

I only trust the Greens get a well-deserved drubbing at the next general election. FF doesn't seem to be the natural coalition partner for progressives (and no I'm not including the PD's in that category)

Dave

I hope so. It's sad, but after joining an FF coalition, they must suffer the same fate as the French greens. Smiley
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #386 on: August 04, 2007, 08:16:23 AM »

Dave

I hope so. It's sad, but after joining an FF coalition, they must suffer the same fate as the French greens. Smiley

You're probably right though, alot of their support comes from mainly upper-middle class constituencies which tend to have a very strong 'soft left' vote. Like Dublin south. And these people tend to be very strongly Anti-Fianna Fail if anything. The Greens though might be able to gain more transfers from FFers though.

After all many predicted it would be the end of the PDs after they went into coalition with FF in 1989.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #387 on: August 06, 2007, 02:54:48 PM »

How about this one:

That's for the recent Berlin city elections (in a seat in the eastern part of Friedrichshain). His poster for the Bundestag election was the same hare, plus his name (full name - this one actually just has the first name!) and web address but nothing else. And was in Din A 4 Format - I've seen one surviving a couple of days ago.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #388 on: August 07, 2007, 06:05:50 PM »

Yeah, that's a...mmm, unique one alright.

Actually, one of the most interesting posters during our election was one of Michael D. Higgins (Lab-Galway West) at this bus stop...

What's weird about it, is that the bus stop is in Brittany and nobody had (or AFAIK, has) any clue how it got there. Apparantly, it wasn;t alone either...quite a few sightings of Higgins's posters were spotted in the region. (Click on the picture to link to the related Irish Times piece.)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #389 on: August 07, 2007, 08:17:20 PM »

Lol, in Quimper in the 29? How the hell did that get there?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #390 on: August 08, 2007, 02:21:09 PM »

Lol, in Quimper in the 29? How the hell did that get there?

I don't think that problem has been solved.

Maybe Higgins's foreign policy pronouncements play particularly well in Brittany or maybe Quimper has been redrawn as inside Galway West - who knows?...
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #391 on: August 08, 2007, 03:31:12 PM »

OMG NO! IRELAND HAS INVADED FRANCE!

Seriously, probably a supporter of Higgins in Quimper.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #392 on: August 08, 2007, 03:40:05 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2007, 03:54:03 PM by LEWIS-T »

Yeah, that's a...mmm, unique one alright.
He got 6.5%, almost pipping the CDU for fourth place! (It is that kind of district...)

There's two, ahem, campaign videos, up at www.linkerhund.de. Definitely worth checking out even if you don't speak German. Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies