Senate Fails to Invoke Cloture on the Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:52:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate Fails to Invoke Cloture on the Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you have voted on this?
Yea (Dem)

Nay (Dem)

Yea (Rep)

Nay (Rep)

Yea (Ind./Other)

Nay (Ind./Other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Senate Fails to Invoke Cloture on the Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act  (Read 1927 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2006, 04:55:57 PM »

Also called the Teen Endangerment Act. Here's the description:

S.403
Title: A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit taking minors across State lines in circumvention of laws requiring the involvement of parents in abortion decisions.

I vote a strong nay, as it makes teens very vulnerable.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 05:10:40 PM »

I'd vote Nay on both the bill and invoking cloture.

Democrats voting Yea on cloture:
Byrd (WV)
Johnson (SD)
Landrieu (LA)
Nelson (NE)
Pryor (AR)
Reid (NV)

Republicans voting Nay:
Chafee (RI)
Collins (ME)
Snowe (ME)
Specter (PA)
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »

I am completely opposed.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 05:45:38 PM »

Just another lame attempt to make a womans body government property.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 11:14:15 PM »

I'd vote Nay on both the bill and invoking cloture.

Democrats voting Yea on cloture:
Byrd (WV)
Johnson (SD)
Landrieu (LA)
Nelson (NE)
Pryor (AR)
Reid (NV)

Republicans voting Nay:
Chafee (RI)
Collins (ME)
Snowe (ME)
Specter (PA)

I would vote nay, the vote came down pretty much as expected.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 11:29:04 PM »

Yea (D)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 06:05:19 AM »

Yea (R).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 06:20:15 AM »

Prude.

Misogynist.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 03:39:41 AM »

I would vote no. The abortion problem is not going to be solved through law enforcement.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 05:11:55 AM »

Prudery has NOTHING to do with abortion.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 07:44:43 AM »

No, just putting the responsibility back on the children AND the parents.  If a child cannot go to the dentist without their parents, there is no way in hell they can get an abortion done without one.  Now, in cases of incest and/or parental abuse, the child has access to court-appointed guardians (since these kids should not be in the home to begin with).

I would vote no. The abortion problem is not going to be solved through law enforcement.

Heaven forbid we actually enforce laws.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 10:09:57 AM »

No, just putting the responsibility back on the children AND the parents.  If a child cannot go to the dentist without their parents, there is no way in hell they can get an abortion done without one.  Now, in cases of incest and/or parental abuse, the child has access to court-appointed guardians (since these kids should not be in the home to begin with).

Heaven forbid we actually enforce laws.

I'm not opposed to enforcing laws at all. My point was that abortion is not an issue that can be solved by arresting people and throwing them in jail.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 10:24:13 AM »

I'm not opposed to enforcing laws at all. My point was that abortion is not an issue that can be solved by arresting people and throwing them in jail.

That part is true.  Just because we have laws (abortion laws, highway laws, etc) doesn't mean people will not break them. 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 10:27:24 AM »

That part is true.  Just because we have laws (abortion laws, highway laws, etc) doesn't mean people will not break them. 

True, and of course sometimes the time, effort, and money necessary to enforce the law is often greater than the benefits.

But in this case, I would argue that first of all, it's not a law enforcement issue, or one that the police can do anything to fix (that was the point of my first post on this thread). It's an education and a family issue; ensuring that everyone has an opportunity to get ahead in life from birth right on through adulthood, due to good parenting and excellent schools. That's ultimately the solution to abortion, not arresting people and putting them in jail, which will have very little benefit compared to the cost and may in fact even be detrimental in and of itself in many cases.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 10:41:10 AM »

But in this case, I would argue that first of all, it's not a law enforcement issue, or one that the police can do anything to fix (that was the point of my first post on this thread). It's an education and a family issue; ensuring that everyone has an opportunity to get ahead in life from birth right on through adulthood, due to good parenting and excellent schools. That's ultimately the solution to abortion, not arresting people and putting them in jail, which will have very little benefit compared to the cost and may in fact even be detrimental in and of itself in many cases.

Again, we agree (remember, I'm the "loudest" person on here calling for increased personal responsibility).  However, that doesn't resolve the current issue at hand of people trying to skirt the system.  A child must have parental or legal guardian representation for any type of medical procedure, and that includes abortions.  A minor that jumps the border to get an abortion outside of their state should be punished.  Additionally, the "adult" which takes the minor across the border should also be punished.  I would even go as far as punishing the parents of the minor (even if they did not know their child crossed the border) for child negligence if the child is under the legal age of consent.  By not punishing these activities, it just gives everyone else the green light to do so.  I hate to see a minor put into this position, but if they engage in adult activities, then they need to face the consequences of their actions.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 02:35:17 PM »

I'd have voted Aye on it. One more step to almost completly banning cold blooded murder.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 02:40:23 PM »

Phew! Close one. Specter and his minority gang remind me again that the Republicans can have non-religion induced AKA real compassion every once and a while.

This bill is a disaster. This loophole is the only way teens can save themselves from often extremely angry and sometimes abusive parents who will immediately strip of there bodily choices.

Nay on both, and get on the floor to filibuster.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies