Mark Halperin article
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:58:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mark Halperin article
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mark Halperin article  (Read 709 times)
Whacker77

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2006, 10:03:23 PM »

I only decided to link this article because it goes against what I think most of us in this forum believe.  As the lead writer of "the Note", I consider him no friend of the conservative base, but he does put a different spin on the last week or so.  Remember, I post this only as information, not as proof that this or that will happen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/opinion/01halperin.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
sethm0

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 10:16:24 PM »

I actually agree with the article that the Republican's best strategy is to keep pushing national security in hopes of energizing the base.

On the other hand, I disagree with the notion that Democrats should aim for a discussion only about other issues - social security, jobs, etc. This will just make it look like they are trying to dodge the big issues. The only way Democrats will get back on their feet is if they can go toe to toe with Republicans on national security in a convincing way. Always attack your opponent's strengths.

It is in the interest of both parties to talk about national security. The only question is which one will do a better job talking about it it.
mgrossbe
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 01:01:56 AM »

I think the most important point in this article is the position on the political spectrum this country has.  If all things are equal this country is a tick to the right and has been since the southern switch in the 60's.  To use a football terminology dems start of by giving the opp. a touchdown lead and have to work their way back.  The sad thing about it is i do not see this changing anytime soon.  It in fact may get worse.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:16:09 AM »

If you look at the polls, most of the Republican candidates weakness is coming from self-indentified Republicans.  Therefore, it would make logical sense to push issues that try and bring that base back into line.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies