Will things be clear on Election Night?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:36:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will things be clear on Election Night?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will control of Congress be clear within 24 hours of the polls closing?
Yes, both houses

Only in the Senate

Only in the House

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Will things be clear on Election Night?  (Read 1331 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2006, 09:25:51 AM »

That's last polls closing, BTW.

I say only for the Senate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 09:35:43 AM »

Will they be clear by the time those of us on the East Coast go to bed?  Not necessarily.  Will they be clear within 24 hours of the polls closing?  Most likely.  How many races are typically left still uncalled a full day after the polls have closed?  Not very many.  1 or 2?  Does anyone have that info from past years?  In any case, even if there are a couple of races that go to recounts, the guy who won the initial count is usually the guy who wins the recount, so we could still have a pretty good idea of who won each race.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 10:44:04 AM »

I hope so but I'll be staying up all night watching coverage anyway.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 10:52:28 AM »

We could very well end up with recounts in two or three House races deciding the majority.

Oh yeah, and then a flurry of party switching (or at least offers to try to get people to switch) in the following weeks. Smiley
poughies
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 10:55:43 AM »

Yes..... For one thing the closest races are in the east, so that takes care of part of the time thing. I think races like Missouri will keep us the longest.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 03:08:44 PM »

Just for fun, here are the interesting races in the Mountain and Pacific time zones:

Senate:
Montana

House:
AZ-01
AZ-05
AZ-08
CA-11
CO-07
CO-04
ID-01*
NM-01
NV-03
WY-AL

*This wouldn't be interesting except that Sali seems to be universally hated, by Republicans possibly more than by Democrats.

Most of those races will over quite quickly, only MT Senate and CO-7 will really be that close.  I have a hunch that the Pennsylvania race will take a while to sort out.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 03:57:12 PM »

Just for fun, here are the interesting races in the Mountain and Pacific time zones:

Senate:
Montana

House:
AZ-01
AZ-05
AZ-08
CA-11
CO-07
CO-04
ID-01*
NM-01
NV-03
WY-AL

*This wouldn't be interesting except that Sali seems to be universally hated, by Republicans possibly more than by Democrats.

Most of those races will over quite quickly, only MT Senate and CO-7 will really be that close.  I have a hunch that the Pennsylvania race will take a while to sort out.

CO-7 and the Montana Senate will probbaly the easiest to sort out of those on that list
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 06:08:15 PM »

Senate:
Montana

House:
AZ-01
AZ-05
AZ-08
CA-11
CO-07
CO-04
ID-01*
NM-01
NV-03
WY-AL

CO-7 and the Montana Senate will probbaly the easiest to sort out of those on that list

Some of the races on that list like AZ-08 and CA-11 were over before they started
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 08:51:14 PM »

Senate:
Montana

House:
AZ-01
AZ-05
AZ-08
CA-11
CO-07
CO-04
ID-01*
NM-01
NV-03
WY-AL

I doubt AZ8 or CO7 will be all that close, and most of the other House races you mentioned are unlikely to be in play unless there's a big national wave, meaning that we'd already be able to see that something's up by watching the returns from the East Coast.  Really, the only House seat you list that I can see being the decisive 15th seat that decides control of Congress is *maybe* NM1.  Although a better choice would be WA8, which you don't list.

Bottom line: it will be the seats in the Eastern and Central timezones (mostly the Eastern timezone actually) that will determine control of the House.  Although of course, the vote counting isn't instantaneous, so it's not like we'll know right as soon as the polls close.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 09:07:56 PM »

I still can't believe the House could be tied at 217-217 with Bonilla's seat headed to a runoff.

I think we won't knoe the House, but we will know the Senate.

Let's hope the Democrats or the Republicans get 220+, otherwise, we'll be seeing litigation like the 2000 election debacle.
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 10:34:34 PM »

I think we'll have a pretty good idea of who controls the chambers by Wednesday morning--I think whichever side takes it will do so by enough seats to be immediately clear.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies