Your county
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:36:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Your county
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Your county  (Read 13231 times)
briancw
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 08:22:54 PM »

Rockingham county is solid Republican, probably the most Republican part of the state, except maybe the Lakes region.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2006, 08:34:11 PM »

Bay County is a pro-life, UAW, Democratic stronghold. It is slowly trending democratic as all forms of government are controlled by the dems now. Republicans held the Mayorship and the city and county commisions in the 1990's as well as the state senate seat. Now the GOP has absolutly no controll over anything. Kerry won it 55-45.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 08:55:29 PM »

Since 1976, only twice has Travis County, TX gone GOP. It was carried by Bush in 2000. It's notable that Nader carried 10%. It was also carried by Reagan in 1984...where he ran against Walter Mondale, no explanation really need right? In addition to this, Kerry won 56% of the vote in this county in 2004.

Based on this, I would say Travis trending Democrat.

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006, 10:46:52 PM »

I used to go roller skating in Montvale.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2006, 11:38:54 PM »

Beltrami County in northern MN has gone Republican 2 times since 1928.  Once for Richard Nixon in 1972 and once in 2000 for George W. Bush.

My county is traditionally liberal and democratic.  It went for Bush in 2000 because Ralph Nader got 8% of the vote in the county, thanks in large part of support for the VP candidate under the greens being from area (Winona LaDuke).

We are at the western fringe of several counties that invariably vote Democratic in each presidential election with the record not being broken for the Democrats in St. Louis County (home to the Mesabi Iron Range and Duluth) since Herbert Hoover.

auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 02:14:58 PM »

I'm not especially thrilled by white flight but I don't see any way to stop it.  It definately is responsible for the changing politics in TN-9, which is gerrymandered to be uber-black and uber-Democratic, and Shelby County as a whole. As for me, you couldn't pay me enough to live outside of the 240 loop, let alone in the exurban hell that is developing in DeSoto, Fayette, and Tipton counties. My mom taught high school in Fayette County for 25 years and I have distant family in DeSoto. Words cannot begin to express how nauseating these places are.

Isn't TN-9 Harold Ford, Jr.'s District?  Its also electing a White Democratic Congressman this year isn't it?  The Almanac of American Politics shows that Bush won 36% here in 2000 and only 30% in 2004 - a surprising shift considering he won Tennessee with 51% and then 56% of the vote.  Also, John Kerry did worse than Al Gore in every other Tennessee District apart from here.

Yeah, I live in Jr's district. There were several black candidates in the Democratic primary so a White Jewish guy won with 31% of the vote. Jr's brother, a high school dropout with no political experience, is running as a independent, but he is not expected to have too much of an impact.  what's left of white areas in TN-9 tend to be older, middle class to upscale, and Republican, but they are outnumbered by African American neighborhoods that are everything from decaying urban ghetto to new McMansions, but all overwhelmingly Democrat. Newer white suburbs have been gerrymandered out into staunchly conservative TN-7.

I used to live in Jr.'s district but moved to G'town this summer. I'll be voting in TN-7. Both sets of my grandparents still live in TN-9. I'm still amazed that Steve Cohen got the nomination for TN-9
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 02:15:41 PM »

How is it trending? Shelby County (the only in TN where Kerry did better than Gore) gets more Democratic by the day as conservative suburbanites move out. We just went majority black so don't expect it to go Republican ever again.

Are we really majority black Now? or is it plurality?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 02:56:20 PM »

How is it trending? Shelby County (the only in TN where Kerry did better than Gore) gets more Democratic by the day as conservative suburbanites move out. We just went majority black so don't expect it to go Republican ever again.

Are we really majority black Now? or is it plurality?

Shelby County is really majority black now. Just switched in 2004 Census data. Memphis City Schools, which I went to K-12, is now 90% black.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2006, 01:32:17 PM »

I thought I'd do my school county as well:  Stearns County

Famous for being the incest capitol of the country.  It even has a name "Stearns County Syndrome."  The county is conservative stemming from German Catholic roots that were traditionally Republican until the 1960 election.

In 1960, '64, '68, '72, and '76, the county went Democrat for president.  The county went for Reagan both times and for Bush Sr. both times ('88 and '92).  They went for Clinton in '96 and Bush in '00 and '04.

The county is tinged red, but it certainly is not unwinnable by Democrats.  Ther has been a shift towards Republicans as Catholics have gone from a strong Democratic to a more split vote.  Also, the area is growing very fast thanks to transplants from the Minneapolis area, so the area is becoming more conservative in that way as well.

Positives about Stearns County?  It's quite beautiful with rolling hills and farms that give it a look like English countryside minus the hedge rows.  It also has the highest life expectancy for women of any county in the U.S, at 84... so don't underestimate all the Phyllis' and Nellies and Myrtles out there.. because they vote like all Catholics:  Early and often.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2006, 04:44:10 PM »

Arlington County has gone Democratic in every presidential election since 1984, and has voted for Democratic candidates for governor for even longer.  Democrats, as might be expected, dominate the county, holding virtually every elected office with the exception of one at-large School Board seat that is held by an independent backed by the Arlington County Republican Party, itself a very moderate organization in comparison with its state counterpart.  This county is a lock for Democrats, and isn't going anywhere....
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2006, 05:55:06 PM »

At first glance I thought this was a precinct map of DC, and was confused by the variance of color. Cheesy
Conan
conan

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2006, 05:57:34 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2006, 06:03:29 PM by conan »

Sussex County

According to 2000 Census:

White       93.97
Asian        1.71
Black        2.24
Hispanic   4.84
Other        Difference of above with 100

Population 144,166
Rural in NJ standards
Population has since increased with development and people from the city and urban areas moving in.

91st wealthiest county in nation (doesnt seem like it)

Majority Republican, Republican Controlled and Bastion for the state.

Long term aspect: Right now it is very republican but with the influx of people from the cities including minorities, going less republican

Socially conservative unlike Bergen County which is fiscally conservative.

2005 Gubernatorial Election:
Corzine: 14,854      = 37%
Forrester: 25,283   = 63%

2nd Most Republican County for 2005 Election

2004 Presidential Election:
Kerry: 23,990 = 35%
Bush: 44,506 = 65%

Most Republican for 2004 Election in NJ

Representation in Congress:
Scott Garrett (R) of Wantage

Representation in NJ Legislature:
Sen. Robert Littell (R)
Assemblyman Guy Gregg (R)
Assemblywoman Alison Littell McHose (R)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2006, 09:17:26 PM »

Sussex County

According to 2000 Census:

White       93.97
Asian        1.71
Black        2.24
Hispanic   4.84
Other        Difference of above with 100

Population 144,166
Rural in NJ standards
Population has since increased with development and people from the city and urban areas moving in.

91st wealthiest county in nation (doesnt seem like it)

Majority Republican, Republican Controlled and Bastion for the state.

Long term aspect: Right now it is very republican but with the influx of people from the cities including minorities, going less republican

Socially conservative unlike Bergen County which is fiscally conservative.

2005 Gubernatorial Election:
Corzine: 14,854      = 37%
Forrester: 25,283   = 63%

2nd Most Republican County for 2005 Election

2004 Presidential Election:
Kerry: 23,990 = 35%
Bush: 44,506 = 65%

Most Republican for 2004 Election in NJ

Representation in Congress:
Scott Garrett (R) of Wantage

Representation in NJ Legislature:
Sen. Robert Littell (R)