MO: The Swing State that swings the Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:49:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO: The Swing State that swings the Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: As of 33 days before Election Day, who do you believe will win the Missouri Senate Race?
Senator Jim Talent

Auditor Claire McCaskill

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: MO: The Swing State that swings the Senate?  (Read 1395 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:57:46 PM »

This is the state where the wave will be felt. Missouri, not Ohio is the true beltweather and measure of America. Missouri has vibrant cities, sprawling suburbs and thriving exurbs. The state voted Democrat for the Senate in 2000 and Republican for President. It moved right after 9/11 and Bush increased his margin by the exact amoing he did nationally.

Democrats have lost the past four Governor and Senate race by a margin of 49.3% to 49.1% -- the closest such margin in the country. Sensing the tightness of the contest, the NRSC has already spent $2 million on vitriolic attacks against Claire McCaskill. Soon the NRA will jump into the race -- on the be countered by a myriad of liberal special interest groups.

The race is also shadowed by the wedge issues-- hallmarks of modern political warfare. Senator Talent's camp has attacked McCaskill on gun control in an attempt to weaken her support among male union members. McCaskill has responded in kind by coming out in favor of the state's Stem Cell research ballot initiative. This was a calculated move to force Talent to choose between his economic conservative base and his sociall conservative supporters; he sided with the social conservatives.

Mark Foley is playing big in Missouri, but not in the way many observers expected.  Foley's biggest impact has not been in dampening  Talent's Christian conservative support.

What the fallout from the Foley fiasco did was to reverse the momentum the GOP built from their successful "Security September." This past week could have been about falling gas prices, the record finish of the Dow Jones and the resurgent U.S economy--- instead it was about whether Denny Hastert should resign.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 12:03:04 AM »

This race is going to be won or lost in Saint Louis County. If McCaskill can get 60% here (Kerry won 54), the race is hers.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 12:07:29 AM »

This race is going to be won or lost in Saint Louis County. If McCaskill can get 60% here (Kerry won 54), the race is hers.

This race and the race in Tennessee are the two pure "toss-ups."  Democrats are barely up in both today -- but who knows about tomorrow.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 12:22:01 AM »

This race and the race in Tennessee are the two pure "toss-ups."  Democrats are barely up in both today -- but who knows about tomorrow.

I agree these two are pure toss-ups. I would add New Jersey and Rhode Island as well.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 12:27:42 AM »

You're right about NJ. I think RI is now slightly leaning Democratic.

I agree these two are pure toss-ups. I would add New Jersey and Rhode Island as well.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 12:28:48 AM »

I think the Dems will win one or both of TN or MO not both. And tie the senate, the GOP should maintain control.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 12:32:09 AM »

I think the Dems will win one or both of TN or MO not both. And tie the senate, the GOP should maintain control.

They could win both, but they'll probably end up with another 50-50 tie, with the party that recieved fewer votes for Senate (the Republicans) having control because of Dick "great shot" Cheney.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 12:33:51 AM »

Quincy, it all depends on which side has the slightest breeze on Election Day. If Al Gor had had one more week to campaign in 2000, he likely would of won in Florida.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 12:48:18 AM »

Quincy, it all depends on which side has the slightest breeze on Election Day. If Al Gor had had one more week to campaign in 2000, he likely would of won in Florida.
You may be right about the slight breeze thing. Even the weather could help determine control of Congress. I'm praying for heavy rain in SW Missouri and E Tennessee Smiley
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 01:02:19 AM »

Talent will probably win, but I think we can lose this one and still take the Senate.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 01:07:10 AM »

Talent will probably win, but I think we can lose this one and still take the Senate.

With help from Fleming, right? Smiley Sorry man, but you're never going to hear the end of it.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 01:10:40 AM »

Should probably strat a new thread for this, but if we wind up 50-50 and Chafee loses,  what are the chances of the Dems trying to woo Collins or Snowe??
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 01:31:01 AM »

Uh...no...not really.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 01:38:02 AM »

No, see, the Fleming win will make up for the McCaskill loss.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 02:01:40 AM »

You're right about NJ. I think RI is now slightly leaning Democratic.

Nah, New Jersey isn't really a toss-up.  It will come home to Menedez and the Democratic Party.

I would agree that Rhode Island leans Dem fairly well, while both Missouri and Tennessee are tossups, surprisingly enough.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 02:05:16 AM »

Uh...no...not really.

Its possible, though I think the opposite will happen, its the same result.  If Talent and  Webb win, the senate is 49-49-2. but 51-49 with Lieberman and Sanders cacusing with the Dems.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 01:03:06 PM »

Uh...no...not really.
we're probably going to pick up OH, PA, MT, RI, and TN, and keep NJ.  Now if Webb wins we can take the Senate without McCaskill.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 02:24:52 PM »

You may be right about the slight breeze thing. Even the weather could help determine control of Congress. I'm praying for heavy rain in SW Missouri and E Tennessee Smiley

doesn't heavy torrential rain usually favor the Republicans? Older people who usually vote Dem would more likely stay at home than if it was a sunny day.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 07:22:33 PM »

doesn't heavy torrential rain usually favor the Republicans? Older people who usually vote Dem would more likely stay at home than if it was a sunny day.
Heavy rain makes everybody more likely to stay home. It's a localized effect that can really screw the Dems because they get so many of their voted from small urban areas.  It's really strange to think that a shower in Cleveland can determine who is president but it really can.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies