Gay Marriage Amendment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:00:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Gay Marriage Amendment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay Marriage Amendment  (Read 319193 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: July 01, 2004, 03:38:14 PM »

StatesRights, I'd have thought, in principle, you would be AGAINST the amendment, as it violates...well states rights in regards to marriage law! Alabama will never always take a different course from Vermont and vice versa. If you really believe in states rights, surely each states right to determine their marriage law, as liberal or as conservative as it may be, should have your full support? Oh and with regards to civilisation, homosexuality was fairly common in Ancient Greece and Rome (check out a few painted Greek vases in the British Museum) and the Christian churches (Catholic and Orthodox) didn't come out against it doctrinally until the 1200's as the world plunged into the dark ages. During the Enlightenment, it was also common in the Italian city states, with Machiavelli, Michaelangelo, Da Vinci and many more thinkers, statesmen and artists were notably bi-sexual. And today? Well if artists such as David Hockney and actors like Sir Ian McKellan really bother you, then you should remove yourself from both modern and classical culture straight away! No doubt you'll label me as a troll, but you seem pretty used to throwing labels at people already.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 10:45:54 AM »

Apologies States Rights for just presuming your support of the amendment. At least you stick by your principles on the rights of states. However I still believe you are totally and utterly wrong, but thats the society we have. I look forward to more confrontations with you!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 03:38:30 PM »

If Barry Goldwater was still with us hed have voted against it. It was a strange enigma of his, a staunch conservative, a scary one at that too, yet he employed blacks in his department store and stood up for gay rights giving as a different, but more powerful argument for gay rights and human rights than the traditional liberal one. I've only begun reading about 'Bogeyman Barry', he is really interesting....
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 04:19:31 PM »

Marriage, in its many historical monogamous and polygamous forms, evolved independently across continents and faiths. It wasn't a 'God thing' but a 'people thing' Marriage is the union of two individuals into one loving couple, whether that is done under god or under the state. If gay people want to marry, the church neednt worry, most are quite happy to be married in the eyes of the law than in the eyes of god.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies