Democrat Poised to Become First Muslim in Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:08:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrat Poised to Become First Muslim in Congress  (Read 1204 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2006, 09:12:33 PM »

By NEIL MacFARQUHAR
Published: October 8, 2006

MINNEAPOLIS — Keith Ellison, the Democratic candidate for Congress here, strode among the stalls of exotically printed fabric, telephone cards and sweet tea at a Somali mall, shaking hands with his fellow Muslims.

“The community showed up big!” Mr. Ellison, 43, said, dispensing hugs as he thanked the many immigrant Somalis whose votes had helped him beat six other candidates in a primary race in September.

Mr. Ellison, a stocky criminal defense lawyer who converted to Islam in college, is expected by experts to make history on Election Day by becoming the first Muslim elected to Congress, as well as the first black representative from Minnesota.

“If he wins, he will take the oath of office on a Koran,” Ali Ahmed, a social services worker, said as he wandered through the Karmel Square mall, a popular shopping and social destination for Somali immigrants.

“Our main concern is that Muslims are treated differently from Christians,” Mr. Ahmed said. “So he can show that we are all the same people.”

The Fifth Congressional District is a Democratic citadel. The last Republican to represent it lost re-election in 1962.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 09:14:40 PM »

Is Ellison a convert to Islam?

Dave
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:15:46 PM »

Yes, as the article notes, he converted to Islam while in college.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 09:21:53 PM »

Best of luck to him.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 10:34:04 PM »

Now we just need a few open Athiests and non-religious people elected.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 02:08:23 AM »

Actually, I've heard some pretty damning accusations of corruption against Ellison after he won the Democratic primary. He'll win the election easily, but, were I Muslim, he is not someone I would want as the first Muslim in Congress.

Ellison will be my rep in 2008 and I pretty much agree with you. I'm not too concerned about his religion anymore, he has a strong socially liberal record in the legislature and the support and endorsement of many feminists and GBLT groups. However he has serious issues with massive parking tickets (It may sound minimal, but what type of person gets 30 parking tickets?) and unpaid taxes.

I talked to my aunt today actually and found out that she voted for Ember Reichgott-Junge in the primary, and plans to vote for Independent Tammy Lee (who is basically a Democrat running as an independent) in the general. I too would vote for Lee. If it were just Ellison against the Republican (who is a complete asshole and running the nastiest campaign ever, even though he has no chance), I'd vote Ellison, but Lee best represents my views and in my opinion the district, so I don't see any reason to not vote for her in a safe seat.

BTW, Sabo has yet to endorse Ellison, and Lee has sent mailings of pictures of her with Sabo causing a bit of controversy. Lee says she's not trying to imply Sabo has endorsed her, just that she's the best candidate to replace Sabo (and yes, she is the most Sabo-like of those running), and Sabo refused to comment on it. It wouldn't shock me if he privately votes Lee.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 05:00:53 AM »

Now we just need a few open Athiests and non-religious people elected.

Isnt Lamont an Athiest? He might still win in CT... perhaps Brown? Still it's much harder to be clearly "not somthing" (a non beliver) than "somthing" (a beliver) that is unless you really ram it down people's throats... most athiests really dont need to or want to make a big thing out of it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 07:53:41 AM »

Isn't Ellison a member of the nation of ISlam

Sherrod Brown is deffinetly not an athiest nor is Lamont
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »

He was but has since renounced ties with the group.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 12:44:48 PM »

Yes, as the article notes, he converted to Islam while in college.

Must have missed that Roll Eyes

Dave
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 12:51:59 PM »

He was raised Catholic and got involved with Nation of Islam at 19, but like I said, has since then renounced the group.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 01:04:52 PM »

He was raised Catholic and got involved with Nation of Islam at 19, but like I said, has since then renounced the group.

Can't for the life of me figure why any American, born a Catholic, would want to convert to Islam?

Dave

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 01:19:04 PM »

Can't for the life of me figure why any American, born a Catholic, would want to convert to Islam?

Dave

Me neither. Black ethnic identity thing possibly.

You know, it's kind of a long shot, but Lee might actually have a chance.

The Green candidate typically gets about 5% or so here, so to win you just need a plurality of 95%, which is just over 32% in a 3-way race. Ellison has his baggage that'll drive many Democrats to Lee like me and my aunt and in addition to being such an asshole the Republican has also been accused of beating his PREGNANT girlfriend. That might drive some Republicans to Lee too. And her campaign is getting significant media attention too (it woudln't shock me if the StarTrib endorses her).

Should be some interesting precinct results, that's for sure.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 01:22:46 PM »

Glad to see that this guy has renounced the Nation of Islam. I wish him a strong legislative career, and with luck, he can set a precedent that shows that America is tolerant of all religions and peoples.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 01:36:58 PM »

Dave

Me neither. Black ethnic identity thing possibly.

You know, it's kind of a long shot, but Lee might actually have a chance.

The Green candidate typically gets about 5% or so here, so to win you just need a plurality of 95%, which is just over 32% in a 3-way race. Ellison has his baggage that'll drive many Democrats to Lee like me and my aunt and in addition to being such an asshole the Republican has also been accused of beating his PREGNANT girlfriend. That might drive some Republicans to Lee too. And her campaign is getting significant media attention too (it woudln't shock me if the StarTrib endorses her).

Should be some interesting precinct results, that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong, as a Democrat, I'd more than likely support him just as I'd support a Labour candidate who was Muslim, preferably one who was fully assimiliated into British culture, however

I just don't see why anyone who was born a Christian (whatever their denomination) would want to convert to Islam

I'm not anti-Islam. I've just had it with political correct types telling Christians not to wear crucifixes in case it causes offense to other religions, while they can just can't on with being who they are and we're expected to bend over backwards without a word of complaint

As far as the UK goes, there has been too much accomodation and not enough assimilation. And I'm sure many Brits feel exactly the same as how I do. It's no wonder the heinous BNP is getting a footing in politics

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies