2004 AFDNC Convention (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:16:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2004 AFDNC Convention (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2004 AFDNC Convention  (Read 8499 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« on: January 23, 2004, 07:21:49 PM »
« edited: January 23, 2004, 07:22:38 PM by Nym90 »

This thread is for the upcoming Atlas Democratic Convention. I think we need to get going on this, especially if we are talking about having the general electoin in just a few weeks. We need time for the convention and the debates.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 10:36:16 AM »

*Nym90 waves to crowd*

*Crowd goes crazy*

Welcome to New Orleans! First off, I'd like to thank MiamiU1027 for putting together such a fine convention in such a fine site. We couldn't have asked for a better city. It's nice to be down here and out of the freezing cold up there in Michigan.

*Laughter*

And thank you, citizens of New Orleans, for being such gracious hosts. Your hospitality is amazing. And I just can't get enough of that Cajun food!

*Laughter*

Friends, a few weeks ago in Chicago, you saw my Republican friends, SuperSoulty and Demrepdan, tell you that they were going to lead a moderate, centrist administration.

*A few boos from the crowd*

Now, now. We don't need that. They are fine men and great Americans, both of them. I'm honored to call them friends. But make no mistake; they will not lead us to centrism and moderation. They intend to continue the destructive policies of the current administration. I ask you, America, are you better off than you were 4 years ago?

*Crowd: No!*

Is America as safe and secure as it was 4 years ago? Our Republican friends would have you believe that all is going well in Iraq. They would like us to believe that the deaths of 500 American soldiers, as well as critical injuries to thousands more, is an acceptable price to pay to advance the administration's reckless unilateralist view of foreign policy, in a war that had absolutely no connection to the horrible events of September 11. A foreign policy, which, if continued in the Supersoulty administration, would lead to further alienation from our allies and ostracism from the world community. Friends, I offer a better way; diplomacy and cooperation with our allies, working through the United Nations to resolve disputes. America, with our current budget problems, cannot afford to shoulder the entire cost of military operations. America should not have to be the policeman of the world!

*Applause*

Is our economy as good as it was 4 years ago? Millions of jobs lost...record budget deficits that are continually expanding...higher unemployment...if all of this can be done in just 4 years, imagine where another 4 years of Republican economic policies could take us. America cannot afford to continue to head down this path of reckless fiscal irresponsibility. Trickle-down economics didn't work for Reagan, and it still doesn't work now. Instead, we offer a different way; restoring fiscal responsibility to Washington by returning us to the tax rates for the wealthy that we had under Clinton, while maintaining current income tax rates on the middle class and the poor. I propose a cut in the payroll tax for the bottom 50% of taxpayers. The payroll tax has become much too burdensome on the forgotten man at the bottom of the economic pyramid, taking a far greater share of incomes from these people than the income tax does. In order to jumpstart the economy, I propose increased spending on public works projects, such as building of roads, schools, and public transportation. These will help improve the economy in the short term, and also lead to greater economic prosperity in the long run through the benefits of the improvements in infrastructure. America is on the wrong track economically, and we need to back up the train and start heading down the right track again!

*Applause*

As our President might say, is our children learning as well as they were 4 years ago?

*Laughter*

The President's No Child Left Behind initiative has been severely underfunded. Mr. President, it sounds good in theory, but you have to be able to put your money where your mouth is!

*Applause*

I am proposing new federal aid to universities which will be used to help alleviate the rising cost of tuition. When a child who is smart enough to go to college isn't able to afford to do so, we've got a problem, America. We need to guarantee affordable college for all Americans, and ensure that no matter what school our children choose to attend, they are not burdened by heavy student loan debt upon graduation. I also propose increased funding to schools specifically for the purpose of raising teacher salaries. When the best and the brightest among us, who have the great desire and talent to teach, choose not to because they can't make a decent living to raise a family with, we've got a problem, America. We need to ensure that we have both the best and the brighest of all Americans going into our schools to teach, and also coming out as high school and college graduates. The highest quality of education is not a privilege, America...it is a fundamental right!

*Applause*

Is our environment as clean as it was 4 years ago? The current administration leads us to believe that we must drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in order to get the energy that we need. Instead of destroying one of our most precious environmental tracts, there is a better way; sustainable energy conservation, incentives for automakers to produce less polluting, more fuel-efficient vehicles, and protection and enhancement of our national parks. I propose increasing federal funding for national parks, to ensure that our children will be able to share in our national treasures which are now under threats from pollution and development. I propose a very gradual increase in the Corporate Average Fuel Economy, a 0.5 mile per gallon increase each year for the next 20 years, so that the CAFE will eventually increase by 10 MPG. I also propose tax incentives for businesses to produce more fuel efficient vehicles such as gas-electric hybrids and hydrogen cell vehicles. We have a moral obligation to our children to protect God's green earth so that it can be enjoyed by all for centuries to come!

*Applause*

Under the current administration, government spending has spiralled out of control. With our current tax policies, we cannot sustain this level of government spending growth. I propose that we seek ways to "reinvent government"; to increase the efficiency and operations of government. Friends, I hold degrees in both Industrial and Operations Engineering and Public Administration. Thus, I have the knowledge and the expertise to streamline government and make it work better, smarter, and more effectively for all citizens. I will make this a priority in my administration, and believe me, I know how to do it!

*Applause*

We have over 40 million Americans without health insurance in this nation. That's wrong, America. Health care should be a fundamental human right, not a privilege. I pledge to you, America, that I will make health care a top priority, and I propose a plan in which government will fund the costs of health care, while leaving the providing of health care still entirely within the domain of private hospitals. This will provide all Americans with a basic level of service, and also shift the cost of providing health care from businesses to the government, which will also help make businesses more productive by removing this burden from them in conpensation to their employees. America, don't listen to our Republican friends who say that it can't be done. This is the 21st century, and we, the greatest nation in the world, can provide all Americans with health insurance!

*Applause*

Friends, America is a great nation, but deep down in our hearts, we know that it can be better. We can sense that there is something amiss in this country. We can feel it in our souls, that America is headed in the wrong direction. We can be better, America.  We can restore hope and optimism again. We can be a stronger, a more prosperous, a better educated, a more healthy nation. If we combine the resources and fortitude of 280 million of us, working together for a better nation, not trying to be competitors but rather allies in a common cause, we can do it! I will bring all of us together, Democrats, Republicans, Independents, liberals, conservatives, and moderates, and together we will take back our America and bring us forward to the nation that we should be...the greatest on Earth!

*Thunderous applause*

God Bless America, and God bless the World!

*Confetti falls as Nym90 and Harry appear on stage with their spouses. Music plays, Nym90, Harry and spouses wave to the crowd. Crowd goes crazy*
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies