3 Best and worst ads
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:49:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  3 Best and worst ads
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 3 Best and worst ads  (Read 2194 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »

Best:

Lamont - "Patriot":

The one with the guy in the rain reading the names of soldiers killed in Iraq. It was quite excellent.

Klobuchar - "Ashamed":

The best owning of an opposing candidate and negating of his negatives ads I've ever seen.

Steele - "Michael Steele Hates Puppies":

Despite being rebuked fairly easily by the DSCC.

Worst:

Lieberman - the "bear cub" one

No explanation needed

Kennedy = the allowance one

ditto

hmmm, I'll have to think for the third. I'm limiting it only to Senate, otherwise Chocola's posted ad would definitely win.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 05:14:01 PM »

I haven't paid attention to the ads all that much, but for what "Michael Steele Hates Puppies" lacked in substance, it made up in strategy.  It managed to be light-hearted, affable, humourous, and young without being threatening to older voters.  It may not have meant much of anything, but it managed to improve Steele's personal "look" to the voters in exactly the way it needed to be improved.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 05:15:52 PM »

OK, I think I've found the one that belongs in the bottom 3 as well:

http://www.electharris.org/multimedia/details.aspx?ID=4
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 05:17:52 PM »

McGavick's ads have nothing much to them, just smiles and "change". He's started ads with meaning, but I've only seen his attack ads.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:48:40 PM »

Menendez making an ad about corruption made have been the worst decision, but not necessarily the most poorly made ad
Conan
conan

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 05:51:42 PM »

Menendez making an ad about corruption made have been the worst decision, but not necessarily the most poorly made ad
Do you not think that in a political decision, that was a good move though? to an ordinary voter that was a great political move on his part.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 05:53:22 PM »

Do you not think that in a political decision, that was a good move though? to an ordinary voter that was a great political move on his part.

No I really don't, it is really best for Menendez to try and dodge corruption and make it go away and talk about issues that favor him
Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 05:57:25 PM »

No I really don't, it is really best for Menendez to try and dodge corruption and make it go away and talk about issues that favor him
I see your point but he had to counter attack.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 05:58:51 PM »

But don't you think by counter-attacking he brought more attn to the issue?  He should have tried to sweep it under the rug, and sadly he probably could have done so
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 06:05:41 PM »

But don't you think by counter-attacking he brought more attn to the issue?  He should have tried to sweep it under the rug, and sadly he probably could have done so
It could have but the newspapers didnt spin it in a negative way saying that it was ironic or anything. So in the end it wasnt such a bad move but it could have been I guess.
poughies
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 06:11:18 PM »

Pretty much just take Ford's ads and that can make up a list for you.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 06:20:51 PM »

Steele's first, third, and foruth ads are good.

The DSCC's counter ad to Steele's puppy ad is good.

The DSCC ad on DeWine was good.

Nancy Johnson's 'Sleeper Cell' ad is good.
Deano963

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 06:39:00 PM »

Best:

Lamont - "Patriot":

The one with the guy in the rain reading the names of soldiers killed in Iraq. It was quite excellent.

Klobuchar - "Ashamed":

The best owning of an opposing candidate and negating of his negatives ads I've ever seen.

Steele - "Michael Steele Hates Puppies":

Despite being rebuked fairly easily by the DSCC.

Worst:

Lieberman - the "bear cub" one

No explanation needed

Kennedy = the allowance one

ditto

hmmm, I'll have to think for the third. I'm limiting it only to Senate, otherwise Chocola's posted ad would definitely win.

The Rick Santorum ad where he accuses Casey of taking money from convicted criminals who actually donated to SANTORUM'S campaign should be in your top 3 Worst. That ad backfired BIGTIME on Santorum, and rightfully so. He had been closing the gap ever so sligthly on Casey, but now he is through. Worst. Ad. Ever.
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 06:45:26 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2006, 06:48:21 PM by ucscgaldamez »

I think Santorum's strategy of focusing on illegal immigration (his latest ad) might be an effective strategy but I don't think that it is a winning strategy. The last poll I researched found that only about 5% of voters will be voting on this issue alone. But the ad itself might help Santorum improve his standing, especially solidifying his conservative Republican base. But will it do more than that? I'm not sure until I see Mid October polls.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 08:03:51 PM »

I haven't been keeping up with my senate ads, but one particularly horrid one was the Joe Lieberman ad with the sun setting over the ocean (despite the fact that in Connecticut the sun sets over land). This ad will only fall second on the suck list when Steele releases his "I'm Black" ad.

Speaking of, A good one was the Democratic response to the "Steele Hates Puppies" ad. "Steele may like puppies, but he loves George Bush". Also, while I do not support him, I think Lamont has a very good ad crew.
poughies
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 08:04:55 PM »

I think lamont's primary ads were terrific.... his post-primary ads have been less than supurb.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 11:10:34 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2006, 11:13:42 AM by nickshepDEM »

Brown's latest ad is pretty good. 

DeWine wasnt there

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »